amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Thanksgiving Week Storm (Wed/Wed night)

ORH_wxman

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the RGEM look is reasonable. Shows the typical metropolitan split with PHL-NYC-PVD-BOS all right on that line. Very little SE and more off to the *NW (always making typos on mobile). Going to be a close call for Kev, but Ginxy will probably ping for a while.

I think the RGEM look is reasonable. Shows the typical metropolitan split with PHL-NYC-PVD-BOS all right on that line. Very little SE and more off to the NE. Going to be a close call for Kev, but Ginxy will probably ping for a while.

The 0z NAM/GFS are really aggressive with the surge of warmth in and around 700mb back into eastern CT...the 12z Euro, however, wasn't nearly as aggressive.  Looks like the NAM/GFS want to get that 700mb circulation going and becoming a bit tighter quicker than what is advertised by the Euro.  

Will, when is this over? By 7pm?

The NAM has me mixing after 7pm, the GFS before.

I can't access the sounding at the critical 21st hour, though...of course.

I think the heavy stuff is over by 7-8pm...21z is still a snow sounding at ORH/BED on the GFS, but probably flipping to pellets within an hour or two later.

Well if we ignore the furnace below 950mb.

GFS_3_2014112600_F21_42_5000_N_71_5000_W

My guess is pellets make it around 4-5pm after a good 6 hour thumping...if they hold off until 00z, then you could probably add 3-4" to accumulations.

Hey guys... I'm beta testing a new HRRR site that I'll be putting together over the next several months. Since this system is a big ticket item, I decided to test out the cronjob to see its performance for this event. I'm looking for feedback, so let me know what you guys think. Give it some time to load all of the images but this is the latest HRRR model cycle.

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/ppapin/lb13_img/hrrr/hrrr_2d.php

Toggle the left and right arrow keys to go forward or backwards in forecast time, and toggle the up and down arrow keys to cycle through the different fields. It should be updating every hour starting around 20 minutes past the hour.

Fields available: 2 meter temperature

1fK97J3.png

Top of Atmosphere Brightness Temperature

Q5nedNF.png

1km Reflectivity (precipitation total in white text)

K7usQqC.png

10 meter winds

q23qC5t.png

Hey guys... I'm beta testing a new HRRR site that I'll be putting together over the next several months. Since this system is a big ticket item, I decided to test out the cronjob to see its performance for this event. I'm looking for feedback, so let me know what you think. Give it some time to load all of the images but this is the latest HRRR model cycle.

Toggle the left and right arrow keys to go forward or backwards in forecast time, and toggle the up and down arrow keys to cycle through the different fields. It should be updating every hour starting around 20 minutes past the hour.

At first glance I really like it, obviously would love to see some more fields added(850s and QPF being the biggies), but as far as the format goes I like it a lot, really easy to use and read.

Hey guys... I'm beta testing a new HRRR site that I'll be putting together over the next several months. Since this system is a big ticket item, I decided to test out the cronjob to see its performance for this event. I'm looking for feedback, so let me know what you think. Give it some time to load all of the images but this is the latest HRRR model cycle.

I like it... bookmarked. Took a long time to load but that's probably something you have absolutely no control over. Looking forward to seeing what you add as time goes on.

At first glance I really like it, obviously would love to see some more fields added(850s and QPF being the biggies), but as far as the format goes I like it a lot, really easy to use and read.

Total QPF is actually on the reflectivity plots at station locations (the station name is on the TOP brightness temperature plot). 850-hPa temperature, soundings, frontogenesis and other goodies are in the works, but are at coarser temporal resolution (1 hour). This is just the tip of the iceberg!

I like it... bookmarked. Took a long time to load but that's probably something you have absolutely no control over. Looking forward to seeing what you add as time goes on.

Yea the images are between 200-300 kb each so it does take a while to load, but the looper will let you know what frames are available... I could cut the size of the images further, but it would start to significantly degrade the quality of the images.

Final call just posted to FB:

One of the toughest forecasts I can recall, on the most important travel day of the year. After perusing the latest data fairly extensively over the course of the past few hours, I see no reason to stray from my assertion that some local TV meteorologists are going to have some egg on their collective face. Many places may start as a bit of rain around the morning commute; however that will flip to snow. North of the Mass pike and outside of rt 128 will see 6-10 inches of snow before changing to ice pellets around 6pm. Highest totals should be relegated to the hills of n Worcester county and southwestern NH, where someone will break a foot. Inside of rt 128 in the Boston area, 3-7", lightest at the beaches, but quickly building as one traverses inland towards rt 128. Interior se MA should see 3-6" before a flip to sleet and rain, and coastal se MA and the cape and islands should see mainly rain

Hey guys... I'm beta testing a new HRRR site that I'll be putting together over the next several months. Since this system is a big ticket item, I decided to test out the cronjob to see its performance for this event. I'm looking for feedback, so let me know what you guys think. Give it some time to load all of the images but this is the latest HRRR model cycle.

Fields available: 2 meter temperature

1fK97J3.png

Top of Atmosphere Brightness Temperature

Q5nedNF.png

1km Reflectivity (precipitation total in white text)

K7usQqC.png

10 meter winds

q23qC5t.png

This is sweet, thanks

Total QPF is actually on the reflectivity plots at station locations (the station name is on the TOP brightness temperature plot). 850-hPa temperature, soundings, frontogenesis and other goodies are in the works, but are at coarser temporal resolution (1 hour). This is just the tip of the iceberg!

Yea the images are between 200-300 kb each so it does take a while to load, but the looper will let you know what frames are available... I could cut the size of the images further, but it would start to significantly degrade the quality of the images.

Awesome! You've got a great start so far, looking forward to seeing what happens next.

Don't cut the size further, having good quality is more important than not having to wait a few seconds to load IMO.

Final call just posted to FB:

One of the toughest forecasts I can recall, on the most important travel day of the year. After perusing the latest data fairly extensively over the course of the past few hours, I see no reason to stray from my assertion that some local TV meteorologists are going to have some egg on their collective face. Many places may start as a bit of rain around the morning commute; however that will flip to snow. North of the Mass pike and outside of rt 128 will see 6-10 inches of snow before changing to ice pellets around 6pm. Highest totals should be relegated to the hills of n Worcester county and southwestern NH, where someone will break a foot. Inside of rt 128 in the Boston area, 3-7", lightest at the beaches, but quickly building as one traverses inland towards rt 128. Interior se MA should see 3-6" before a flip to sleet and rain, and coastal se MA and the cape and islands should see mainly rain

Agree with your thoughts. Modeling has pretty much been honed in on track, and everything you've got here is well supported IMO.

0z BTV WRF doesn't look that bad. ORH barely gets into mixing before back to snow...but it doesn't really get past N Worcester (city)

http://www.weather.gov/btv/4kmwrf

850's are def. not the issue NW of SE mass.

Also finishes as snow on this model for most areas, wonder if there will actually be LEGIT back end snows?

Awesome! You've got a great start so far, looking forward to seeing what happens next.

Don't cut the size further, having good quality is more important than not having to wait a few seconds to load IMO.

Thanks, and ok I'll leave the size as is. 

This is sweet, thanks

Archived