• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thanksgiving Eve SECS/MECS Discussion II

gkrangers

Amazing if anyone caught bill Evans explanation of a watch vs warning. According to him a warning means more snow then a watch. (Different nws offices really)

Good to see the watch extend east. Upton is not going to mess around right now. The country's biggest city in the crosshairs of a big storm on the busiest travel day of the year is a big deal. So I have to imagine their confidence level is high. I like my SS 3" slush. Though the reality is really anywhere that sets up the best banding is going to throw people for good solid 6 plus. Where that is we still have no clue

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing if anyone caught bill Evans explanation of a watch vs warning. According to him a warning means more snow then a watch. (Different nws offices really)

Good to see the watch extend east. Upton is not going to mess around right now. The country's biggest city in the crosshairs of a big storm on the busiest travel day of the year is a big deal. So I have to imagine their confidence level is high. I like my SS 3" slush. Though the reality is really anywhere that sets up the best banding is going to throw people for good solid 6 plus. Where that is we still have no clue

I caught it. And notice, he also said, ehhh..4-8 in the watch area even though the map was 3-6..lol

I caught it. And notice, he also said, ehhh..4-8 in the watch area even though the map was 3-6..lol

I

I normally try to stay out of this stuff but it's so wrong. He keeps saying a warning means more then a watch and in this case it has to do with nws Albany updating to a warning earlier then upton. He's doing it over and over just plain wrong

All models are busting too warm right now I think at least half the storm will be wasted on rain or non accumulating snow for NYC and adjacent areas

You realize the difference at the surface between KNYC and KSWF on the Euro is 1 F  ( 34 vs 33 )  and 1 C at 850 ( Minus 3 vs Minus 2 ).

So what`s your call for Newburgh NY ?

As often occurs in these situations, collaboration between the NYC and Philly NWS offices could be better. No way that Staten Island, to my east and Union County, to my north, can have 2-4" and 4-6", respectively, while adjacent northern Middlesex County has 1-2" for most and 2-4" for the far NW part of the county.

It's also rare that Trenton and Philly do better than Edison, when it's not a storm that's suppressed to our south, i.e., when the total precip is about the same, implying that there will be more rain in Edison.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/stormtotalprecip.php

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/phi/StormTotalSnow/stormtotal.php

The discontinuity continues and is even worse this morning. Winter storm watches are up for all counties west of the Delaware River in PA and for Mercer to Somerset to Union to NYC and all counties NW of there in NJ and NY, of course, skipping over my county, Middlesex, in NJ, lol. It’s a bit of a disconnect to have neighboring Mercer/Union/SI to have watches and for Middlesex (at least northern Middlesex - problem is they only have one zone for our county) to not. Just look at the map and it looks funny...

My hunch right now is we may see more PL than we think, the 06Z RGEM shows that there may be a long duration of mixed precip, I'm not sure if this is RASN RAPL or SNPL but I just think the boundary layer is a bit too warm to get big accumulating snows in this stale air mass.

Agreed thats why 3"+ for my area is probably unlikely unless i consistently get into 30-35dbz rates

My hunch right now is we may see more PL than we think, the 06Z RGEM shows that there may be a long duration of mixed precip, I'm not sure if this is RASN RAPL or SNPL but I just think the boundary layer is a bit too warm to get big accumulating snows in this stale air mass.

The way the RGEM is oriented I can places from LGA east the North Shore of Nassau County out to Laurel Hollow pull off 6 .

N of N Blvd .

The way the RGEM is oriented I can places from LGA east the North Shore of Nassau County out to Laurel Hollow pull off 6 .

N of N Blvd .

This is my current guess paul, NYC 4-7", the boroughs 4-6", N. nassua/NW suffolk 4-6", S. Nassua/Suffolk 1-3" (unless models start showing the warm punch not being as pronounce)

All the guidance is picking up on the sleet potential and you can see how LGA trended

toward more sleet from 12z. The January 13, 2008 event had the best snow amounts 

2 days before the event and trended down right up to the storm as the models

underestimated the antecedent warmth. You don't want to see an event with

such high bust potential on the busiest travel day of the year. 

This is my current guess paul, NYC 4-7", the boroughs 4-6", N. nassua/NW suffolk 4-6", S. Nassua/Suffolk 1-3" (unless models start showing the warm punch not being as pronounce)

My argument was from 3 days ago was there was going to be 3 at the park if the Euro is right there`s 6 there .

Anything east of JFK is going to be dicey  .

All the guidance is picking up on the sleet potential and you can see how LGA trended

toward more sleet from 12z. The January 13, 2008 event had the best snow amounts 

attachicon.gif12.png

attachicon.gif12z.png

The bust potential at least is for less snow and more mixed or rain and not the other way given such a warm antecedent airmass and lack of a real polar high or upsteam cold.

attachicon.gif12.png

attachicon.gif12z.png

The sleet though is not the result of antecedent warmth. The changes in precip type are the result of warming aloft. This can easily be all snow on the next run.

The sleet though is not the result of antecedent warmth. The changes in precip type are the result of warming aloft. This can easily be all snow on the next run.

The BL warmed up also on the soundings from yesterday. The 60 degree readings this morning

were not forecast yesterday. Check out the big NAM temperature miss from 12z yesterday.

CENTRAL PARK CLOUDY 61 40 45 VRB5

Archived