• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thanksgiving Eve SECS/MECS Discussion II

gkrangers

I'm going to go with neither. Once east of port Jeff there isn't much of a south shore north shore thing it's really a Nassau construct.

Port Jeff station over to stony Brook can be a great snow spot with good topography and potential for sound enhancement. I don't expect them to disappoint here.

This might be one of those situations where being further west from there helps since we have little water to fetch from on a north wind while they have more. The Sound is still quite warm.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes the sound is very warm, and even this will set up some temp profile issues.

Just throw ten billion ice cubes in & problem solved...

This is very much like that January 08 event or even March 1999, very bad air mass, one event had the dynamics to get it over to snow and the other did not

Yes but in March 1999 the water was 15 degrees colder...badly placed anticyclones are the biggest potential problem for otherwise potentially good snowfalls on any East Coast checklist...<this presupposes a favorable track by the cyclone itself>

How about a trillion snowflakes and a little cold rain?

Edward, I consider you good...and as King George the 3rd said when confronted by his psychiatrist about the need to "acquire a better conceit of himself"...the King gave a wonderful retort..."Well, I'm King of England...a man can have no better conceit of himself than that." I think those two assessments very much share the frontier...

Edward, I consider you good...and as King George the 3rd said when confronted by his psychiatrist about the need to "acquire a better conceit of himself"...the King gave a wonderful retort..."Well, I'm King of England...a man can have no better conceit of himself than that." I think those two assessments very much share the frontier...

I must confess my math was a little off.  A trillion snowflakes is enough to cover 14 square miles an inch deep, which is probably inadequate for substantially cooling the sound; even with a little extra cold rain.

FWIW, if the north wind doth blow, I think we'll count at least a few trillion snowflakes between Smithtown and PJ.  Strongs Neck, of course, will add another trace into the coop record.

Midnight in NJ. Temperatures still in the mid 60's and dews not far behind. Cooler air bleeding in from Canada on light westerly winds behind our cold front. Looking upstream, cooler and dryer air looks to be still a ways away in central PA. We are on pace to bust low on temps and dews tonight across NJ. Case in point- Somerset airpot. MAV and MET guidance for 1am- 60 or 61 and 50 or 51. With 45 minutes until 6z, currently reading 64/58 in nearby Warren, and bot T/Td have actually risen in the last hour. http://www.njweather.org/station/26

It will be interesting to see if this persists through the night. I just am not seeing the mechanisms needed to get accumulating snowfall on the coastal plain. If it's going to be evap cooling, the existing airmass needs to get replaced quickly.

Strongs Neck, of course, will add another trace into the coop record.

The best thing I can say about the Setauket coop is that it has put together a record of staggering prolixity...

This is very much like that January 08 event or even March 1999, very bad air mass, one event had the dynamics to get it over to snow and the other did not

Jan 08 is in my top 5 least fav winter events. And that really can't be discounted here and a big part of my hesitance to go over 3" here. It's a good compromise between the complete and painful bust of 08 and what could happen if things line up and we get the microscopic thread trough that nano needle.

I think 08 developed later then this and thus dynamics came into play to late for the SS and the writing was on the wall really before it even started. I don't think that's the case here

I must confess my math was a little off. A trillion snowflakes is enough to cover 14 square miles an inch deep, which is probably inadequate for substantially cooling the sound; even with a little extra cold rain.

FWIW, if the north wind doth blow, I think we'll count at least a few trillion snowflakes between Smithtown and PJ. Strongs Neck, of course, will add another trace into the coop record.

The snowflakes would be from SNE, and will inevitably be corrupted somehow. Can never trust those things.

I think it all comes down to how much precip is wasted on the front end. If you guys can flip to frozen quick then m pretty sure warning criteria will be met in KNYC

Agree

Jan 08 is in my top 5 least fav winter events. And that really can't be discounted here and a big part of my hesitance to go over 3" here. It's a good compromise between the complete and painful bust of 08 and what could happen if things line up and we get the microscopic thread trough that nano needle.

I think 08 developed later then this and thus dynamics came into play to late for the SS and the writing was on the wall really before it even started. I don't think that's the case here

Heavy snow warning was issued for NYC with 6-12 inches. I didn't even see a flake.

The snowflakes would be from SNE, and will inevitably be corrupted somehow. Can never trust those things.

I recall having trouble with related rates in calculus class...along with several other topics.

I almost held off on going back to State College for that event. Luckily I didn't. I see your point though-it was too late a development for even coastal SNE.

I almost held off on going back to State College for that event. Luckily I didn't. I see your point though-it was too late a development for even coastal SNE.

I was living right on the boardwalk for that one good thing you didn't. I sat and watched the rain fall trough the boardwalk lights from my living room until I eventually fell asleep. Woke up to a very gray beach and it never did go to snow not even a flake. Scary really, that could easily happen here.

I to am not liking just how warm and moist it is out right now as we get closer to the event. Warm water. Marginal air mass. Dreams of 08. Really putting my bets on rates and the fact that a good ole miller A is going to bring allot of moisture.

Nope...I  read it in a book called The Federal Courts....written by Posner...he was editorializing on the length (and rather jejune nature) of the opinions of some federal judges. It has been indelibly etched in my consciousness ever since.

I will resist the urge to use it in describing the posts of any regulars, although it is a powerful urge in one or two well-known cases.

BTW, I've seen more than one weenie map showing some love for our corner of the island.  Would be easy to ignore if it was only one.

I was living right on the boardwalk for that one good thing you didn't. I sat and watched the rain fall trough the boardwalk lights from my living room until I eventually fell asleep. Woke up to a very gray beach and it never did go to snow not even a flake. Scary really, that could easily happen here.

I to am not liking just how warm and moist it is out right now as we get closer to the event. Warm water. Marginal air mass. Dreams of 08. Really putting my bets on rates and the fact that a good ole miller A is going to bring allot of moisture.

Uggh, It Could Happen Tomorrow!!

Archived