joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thanksgiving Eve SECS/MECS Discussion II

gkrangers

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think east of the William Floyd will be very tough for accumulating snow. Even the NAM doesn't have them getting below 37 or so in the heavy precip. The really questionable area probably starts around Islip and west. I think at least a watch should be extended to NYC at this point. 

The sharpest cutoff had to be the retrogading storm in Feb 2010. It was snowing here while it was raining just to my east.

The sharpest cutoff had to be the retrogading storm in Feb 2010. It was snowing here while it was raining just to my east.

Literally Jamaica LIRR station was the R/S line for hours that day. Luckily for us though it headed N and NW and plenty of deformation precip was left to drop up to 12" on coastal areas. This is a progressive storm that won't cut off. 

Dec 2000 was bad as well. 40 miles east of me had nearly zilch-I had more than a foot. 

Literally Jamaica LIRR station was the R/S line for hours that day. Luckily for us though it headed N and NW and plenty of deformation precip was left to drop up to 12" on coastal areas. This is a progressive storm that won't cut off. 

Dec 2000 was bad as well. 40 miles east of me had nearly zilch-I had more than a foot. 

I had a lot of snow in the Dec 2000 storm

Sleet is less common in miller A storms. Usually they are found in miller Bs prior to or during any coastal transfer when the primary still exists. I forget if the Valentine's Day storm of 07 was a miller A or B which was the biggest sleet storm I've ever had.

Miller B

I had 4 inches of sleet with temps in the teens to lower 20s

Sleet is less common in miller A storms. Usually they are found in miller Bs prior to or during any coastal transfer when the primary still exists. I forget if the Valentine's Day storm of 07 was a miller A or B which was the biggest sleet storm I've ever had.

Miller B. There was a primary that cut up the TN Valley and then transferred to the coast. Sleet got all the way up to Albany. I'm always wary of mid level warm layers specifically because of that storm-a day before I was supposed to get up to 2 feet of snow at UNV and instead had half or more of it fall as pellets. It froze literally into a goopy cement the next day, and was a travel nightmare in PA requiring several interstates and main highways be shut down.

I remember that storm very vividly. I walked 3 miles during the height of it because I was a dumb high school kid. It was like walking on sand.

As far as this event goes, what's the record snowfall at knyc on 11/26? Or has someone posted that info already?

Not sure if this belongs here, but...

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ALBANY NY

300 AM EST TUE NOV 25 2014

NORTHERN LITCHFIELD-SOUTHERN LITCHFIELD-NORTHERN BERKSHIRE-

SOUTHERN BERKSHIRE-WESTERN ALBANY-EASTERN ALBANY-

WESTERN RENSSELAER-EASTERN RENSSELAER-WESTERN GREENE-

EASTERN GREENE-WESTERN COLUMBIA-EASTERN COLUMBIA-WESTERN ULSTER-

EASTERN ULSTER-WESTERN DUTCHESS-EASTERN DUTCHESS-BENNINGTON-

WESTERN WINDHAM-EASTERN WINDHAM-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...TORRINGTON...OAKVILLE...NEW MILFORD...

TERRYVILLE...PITTSFIELD...NORTH ADAMS...GREAT BARRINGTON...LEE...

LENOX...HOUSATONIC...ALTAMONT...ALBANY...TROY...HOOSICK FALLS...

HUNTER...TANNERSVILLE...WINDHAM...CATSKILL...COXSACKIE...ATHENS...

CAIRO...JEFFERSON HEIGHTS...HUDSON...CHATHAM...SUNDOWN...

ELLENVILLE...WOODSTOCK...WEST HURLEY...KERHONKSON...NAPANOCH...

PHOENICIA...KINGSTON...NEW PALTZ...POUGHKEEPSIE...BEACON...

ARLINGTON...PAWLING...DOVER PLAINS...MILLBROOK...PINE PLAINS...

AMENIA...MILLERTON...BENNINGTON...JACKSONVILLE...NEWFANE...

BRATTLEBORO...WEST BRATTLEBORO...BELLOWS FALLS

300 AM EST TUE NOV 25 2014

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM WEDNESDAY TO 10 AM

EST THURSDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ALBANY HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM

WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM WEDNESDAY TO 10

AM EST THURSDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...WESTERN NEW ENGLAND AND THE EASTERN

CATSKILLS...CAPITAL DISTRICT...TACONICS AND MID HUDSON VALLEY OF

EAST CENTRAL NEW YORK.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW AND SOME DRIFTING SNOW.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 16 INCHES WITH THE HIGHEST

ACCUMULATIONS ACROSS THE TACONICS AND WESTERN NEW ENGLAND.

* MAXIMUM SNOWFALL RATES...1 TO 2 INCHES AN HOUR.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL SPREAD FROM SOUTH TO NORTH ACROSS THE AREA

BEGINNING WEDNESDAY MORNING REACHING THE CAPITAL DISTRICT BY MID

MORNING. THE SNOW WILL BE HEAVIEST WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH

THE LATE EVENING HOURS WITH THE SNOW TAPERING OFF LATE WEDNESDAY

NIGHT OR EARLY THURSDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS...THIS STORM WILL SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACT HOLIDAY

TRAVEL... MAKING DRIVING DANGEROUS AT TIMES WITH SNOW COVERED

ROADS AND POOR VISIBILITIES.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST TO NORTHWEST AT 5 TO 10 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO

20 MPH

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE UPPER 20S TO MID 30S.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER

CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING.  SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF

SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN

AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...

FOOD...AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

The 06Z NAM is easily 6"+ for the Lower HV.

Yes indeed.....6"+ for most in the lower Hudson valley and NW NJ up through parts of CT, MA, NH, VT, and Maine. Probably more like 10" in some of those areas.....Very expansive precip shield, and where it does snow, it snows very hard. Taken verbatim, it shows a sloppy inch or so of accumulated snow by the time it winds down in NYC....a few inches as you head further west into NJ. Boston a few inches as well, and long island not much if any. During the height of the storm, it looks like some warmth pushes in at 700mb. Hopefully the NAM is "over-amped" and after all it does tend to over correct itself (it went from showing everything way out to sea to a very wound up solution within just a day or so anyway)

It's good to be back. So right now NYC is looking at a general 3-5", less of course with a sleet depending on that sleet temperature layer. Up here in New Paltz, we looking at a bomb especially if we look at the NAM haha.

The runs today will be the nail in the coffin IMO. Great to be back for an eventful winter!

good morning to all..and good news for me,as living in the northwest Bronx might save me from rain,but not the heavy snow..2 ingredients i must put out there are dynamic cooling and evap cooling..thermal profiles are usually pretty good in these parts of the city but tricky everywhere else.as this baby bombs out all levels will be cold for snow(cept imm coastlines of the city,l.i and coastal new eng) but when a storm goes in to bombogenesis mode.all bets are off,still some time of course to see what unfolds.  :pimp:   :snowing:   

Archived