Newest Member
    Toothache
Thanksgiving Eve SECS/MECS Discussion II

gkrangers

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unc. 

I would have been 8 years old. If the storm started or was progressing in the evening then it's the one i remember. I was with my parents on 86th st between 4th and 5th Ave.. The old time over side walk only Christmas lights were still unlit. I remember watching the snow by looking up to the street light. No accumulation at that time. I have no memeory of much therafter. I'm curious of the day of the week you have tha paticular event taking place.

Again Unc., thanks for the memory jog. 

Rich

November 19th 1955...I was six years old...It was daylight as I remember it snowing...

YOU JUST GOT NAMed! Sorry I couldn't resist... In all seriousness, while I wouldn't trust this solution, it will be interesting to see how the mesos handle this system as dynamic cooling will play a very big factor, and this is the time when we start to hone in on how that is going to play out. It will be interesting to see if the RGEM comes in similar. 

Great to see you back for another winter storm!

I like 2-4 for us along the 95 area…..think the bigger totals 4-8 starts around MMU

Thanks. Great to see you and everyone else again. Given the rest of the forecast and the snow map, it makes much more sense for the Edison area and northern Middlesex County to be in the 2-4" area. I've seen the NWS do this many times early on and adjust later. If you look at the point and click forecasts, NWS has us in the 2-5" range (1-3" during the day and 1-2" at night), while they have southern Middlesex getting 1-2". Honestly, I think they made an error in the map and will correct it later (I'm sure they're pretty busy, lol).

I will say this: in such a marginal setup, with the error bars on track, intensity, cold air source/strength, etc., not needing to be large to produce very steep gradients in snowfall from SE to NW (generally), as forecast, the uncertainty and thus, bust potential, in either direction, for this storm are very high. It wouldn't take a large "miss" to move the 6" line from Phillipsburg to White Plains, SE to Philly to Central Park and it wouldn't take much to move the 2" line from I-95 to Phillipsburg to White Plains. Major late November snowstorms in the I-95 corridor are rare for a reason.

Archived