• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread I

LithiaWx

This is concerning....unless one wants to just summarily discard the CFS. You could have discarded it for November. But the cold pattern got a huge boost from the super typhoon. And it was right about the warm December, though maybe not to the magnitude it was showing.

The last couple of runs of the Weeklies also don't sound as good as they did two weeks or so ago. I'm only judging that based on what I have interpreted other peoples' interpretations to be.

You also have the EPS dumping the cold more west.

All of that vs the GFS and CMC ensembles and analogs and SAI expectations. Right now, it still feels like the balance of power is tipped toward cold coming sooner rather than later. But if we get to mid January and we're still stepping down or laying the groundwork or setting the table, then we'll know next time which data to throw out and which to weight more heavily.

I feel like hyped expectations also have many expecting a locked cold wall to tall Jan/ Feb. We live in the south and that's not gonna happen. patterns will let up and then build back again. I just feel some of these extreme predictions for this winter have given false hope to some of a locked in cold wall to wall

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like hyped expectations also have many expecting a locked cold wall to tall Jan/ Feb. We live in the south and that's not gonna happen. patterns will let up and then build back again. I just feel some of these extreme predictions for this winter have given false hope to some of a locked in cold wall to wall

Maybe so. I can somewhat agree with that. We're going to likely close out December without having had very much in the way of winter for the whole month. I'm not saying the end of the month can't turn cold. It could. It might. But it's still up in the air. Anyway, we could very well close out December with a wall to wall cold winter completely off the table but with a wall to wall non winter still completely ON the table. I would not have expected that coming into this winter.

Florida is cooking baby!

Lol it's funny that's what you took away from that map. I didn't even notice the yellow on the east coast of FL till you pointed it out. :)

what I took away from the map is yellows in the south, the deeper blues up north. To me, that means the coldest air relative to normal stays up north. Oh, and 99% of the south is in the lightest shade of blue.

what I took away from the map is yellows in the south, the deeper blues up north. To me, that means the coldest air relative to normal stays up north. Oh, and 99% of the south is in the lightest shade of blue.

It has us 2-3 F below normal, which is pretty chilly. What it shows in Florida really doesn't matter at all.

I'm looking at this site: http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/people/mchen/CFSv2FCST/monthly/. It doesn't match what your site shows.

I think that site shows the CFS model runs averaged over the last 30 days, whereas Burger's map shows the most recent CFS runs.  I'm not sure what it is best to go with as I tend to ignore the seasonal models, for better or for worse.

Not that it really matters, but the Euro weekly control run is a disaster with cutter after cutter.  I shouldn't have looked. :lol:

More important than worrying about the particular degrees from normal is the overall pattern shown. Eastern US trough, Western US ridge. That is consistent with what has been expected for Jan/Feb by most for months. It would seem with the type of weak El Nino that is expected, that the departures from normal would be stronger in the south. But it is a model run and it is generally consistent with the overall idea of most of the variables, indices, and analogs that have been discussed that have led to the high expectations of this winter. This is a good sign overall. There are plenty good signs out there. There are plenty skilled mets pointing to them and saying that we are on course. It seems that folks here want to find the model runs that show something negative and dwell heavily on them. Kind of the reverse of seeing a 360 hour fantasy storm on the GFS and going to Kroger and buying 5 gallons of milk and 5 loaves of bread then heading to Home Depot to get a generator and a chain saw.

This is concerning....unless one wants to just summarily discard the CFS. You could have discarded it for November. But the cold pattern got a huge boost from the super typhoon. And it was right about the warm December, though maybe not to the magnitude it was showing.

The last couple of runs of the Weeklies also don't sound as good as they did two weeks or so ago. I'm only judging that based on what I have interpreted other peoples' interpretations to be.

You also have the EPS dumping the cold more west.

All of that vs the GFS and CMC ensembles and analogs and SAI expectations. Right now, it still feels like the balance of power is tipped toward cold coming sooner rather than later. But if we get to mid January and we're still stepping down or laying the groundwork or setting the table, then we'll know next time which data to throw out and which to weight more heavily.

I am pumped that blocking is returning the last 7-10 days of the month and per the weeklies looks strong the first week of Jan. I think the EPO/PNA will go our way sooner or later.

I think that site shows the CFS model runs averaged over the last 30 days, whereas Burger's map shows the most recent CFS runs.  I'm not sure what it is best to go with as I tend to ignore the seasonal models, for better or for worse.

Not that it really matters, but the Euro weekly control run is a disaster with cutter after cutter.  I shouldn't have looked. :lol:

yeah the link Widre posted uses initial conditions and what not, there are multiple CFSv2 products that aren't on that link.

Everyone should  be in a much better mood today. My take away from the models last night is that we're in a much better position. Pretty much every model is now starting to see the pattern change coming around hour 240. Even the Euro has big cold coming in the west at 240.....while some will take away that the cold is delayed it shows the Euro is seeing the start of it. That's what we badly need. Hopefully the GFS has a better handle as again the pattern change is showing up at 240 for the East. Throws us in the freezer. 

This Eurasia stratospheric warming event will likely result in a displacement of the Polar Vortex off the North Pole. pic.twitter.com/DbDa2lhvRq

Models are trending in favor for a significant Eurasia stratospheric warming event during the next 2 weeks. pic.twitter.com/1WsH9NtwIY

The Return of Winter: Upcoming pattern change looks imminent across the lower 48 during late December. pic.twitter.com/GwKHF7Mwql

Everyone should  be in a much better mood today. My take away from the models last night is that we're in a much better position. Pretty much every model is now starting to see the pattern change coming around hour 240. Even the Euro has big cold coming in the west at 240.....while some will take away that the cold is delayed it shows the Euro is seeing the start of it. That's what we badly need. Hopefully the GFS has a better handle as again the pattern change is showing up at 240 for the East. Throws us in the freezer. 

Good post burger. Was pretty much going to say the same thing. Looks like everything is evolving nicely. Also if you have time check out the mountain threat. Marion posted some great stuff over there about the upcoming pattern.

Archived