• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread I

LithiaWx

Do you even weather map bro? I'm kidding. Mostly :)

Even if the SE were in the "white", it would be pretty normal for climo. I seriously can't wrap my head around what people were/are expecting. This isn't Wisconsin or Maine. It never will be. Aside from occasional arctic blasts that penetrate farther south than usual, departures of -8/-9 just don't linger here.

Me too.  It'll get cold, it always does, but will it rain?  I've got .25 for the month so far, and had a weeks worth of temps where it could have fallen frozen.  Need to be worrying about actually seeing real rain, not fantasy land gom lows that don't verify.  So far I'm getting little or nothing, so all the cold in the world won't freeze nothing :)  And little leaves little chance for a timing event.  Normal would work, with normal cold, but I'm waiting on that still.  T

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything right after Xmas may track to our NW, but I think as we get close to new years into early Jan will be more favorable for us.  Besides, I would rather have a week or so of cold then get a storm.

Yeah, but with that 12z block shown, I still don't understand why they're cutting after christmas.  I'm going to ignore the op runs until things are under 7 days.  GEFS is going to be my model of choice I think for the upper level dynamics for the next week or so.  I really want to latch onto a good -NAO.  I still think that's the most important piece of the puzzle for a consistently good Jan/Feb. 

But according to the 6Z GEFS, the -NAO is very short lived....it runs away shortly after christmas. Hope that changes. 

gZO7F1kl.png

Op runs greater than 180 hours now are worthless. I agree, ensembles and good pattern recognition are the things to focus on now. I think trying to look at details more than 5 days out at this point is a waste. It seems like every time I look, the AO and NAO and doing something different. Because of the big changes coming, the models will be in left field, maybe until after the Christmas storm. 

But why worthless until later?

Yeah I really want the -NAO now....to lock in cold to the north and keep the storms to the south.  I can't stand seeing cutter after cutter, and Highs to the north retreating just in time for a cold rain.  Gotta have it or you're relying on perfect timing.  We know how that works out. 

Yeah I really want the -NAO now....to lock in cold to the north and keep the storms to the south. I can't stand seeing cutter after cutter, and Highs to the north retreating just in time for a cold rain. Gotta have it or you're relying on perfect timing. We know how that works out.

Worked out well last year. We can all wish for a -NAO to lock in for a while. But let's be honest we have not had that in years and have done fairly well. I think we would all take our chances with a -NAO that sets up then breaks down and then sets back up. Even a brief -NAO is better than none at all like years past

I think maybe what he meant was that the NAO will have more influence as we progress through winter. If I remember correctly, the NAO effects really comes into play with an El Nino during the February time frame. 

Thank you..Ya sorry, very poor choice of words...I should say its affects on the pattern is much more important/felt later in the season as pattern matures.

Worked out well last year. We can all wish for a -NAO to lock in for a while. But let's be honest we have not had that in years and have done fairly well. I think we would all take our chances with a -NAO that sets up then breaks down and then sets back up. Even a brief -NAO is better than none at all like years past

Yeah, it worked out one time for Charlotte...and that was the February storm that had a psuedo "baffin island block" that acted as a -NAO and kept the storm to the south.  Very fortunate.  However I'm looking for a great pattern.  I believed the hype!! And to get a GREAT pattern and not just a "it's possible" pattern, we need a -NAO. 

Yeah, it worked out one time for Charlotte...and that was the February storm that had a psuedo "baffin island block" that acted as a -NAO and kept the storm to the south. Very fortunate. However I'm looking for a great pattern. I believed the hype!! And to get a GREAT pattern and not just a "it's possible" pattern, we need a -NAO.

Right I agree but a great pattern does not always produce great results

How many years since your foot now?

Didn't he get a foot this past February?  :snowing:

I've still never seen a foot. :(  We did have a foot of snowcover after January 2000, but that was from the prior storm a few days before (from as best as I can speculate, we ended up with a inch or two less than a foot from the storm itself).  Maybe it will happen someday, but I don't think GSO has seen a foot in many decades, so maybe not...  Of course, I doubt I'll live here forever, so maybe there's hope.

Archived