• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread

Whitelakeroy

What really stinks is last year the insane cold allowed us to play so much pond hockey last year I want that every year. Probably won't freeze over until near middle of January at best

By this weekend it will be ready. Few days in the low mid 20's with lows in the lower teens will freeze it fast.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure hope Aleks torch call is a full scale swing and miss.

I'd like to see the ensembles trend that way before buying into a warm pattern. 

There will be more potential to overachieve with temps though given the relative lack of snow cover here and upstream (as long as that remains the case). 

What really stinks is last year the insane cold allowed us to play so much pond hockey last year I want that every year. Probably won't freeze over until near middle of January at best

Last year we have 4-4.5 months of ice fishing locally, this year we might not get a single day.

I don't get this. I love going cruising around during a big snow. maybe not in a city atmosphere tho.

That's exactly it.  I'd enjoy it if I was the only one or close to the only one on the road.  There are some hilly areas around LAF which makes it even worse.  Those things are a disaster when it snows, especially if it's too cold for the chemicals to be as effective.

I don't get this. I love going cruising around during a big snow. maybe not in a city atmosphere tho.

Yeah it has to do with the city, I used to love when it snowed back in Mt Pleasant because I would go down some of the country roads to check the scenery. Here in the city though, it isn't fun especially because of the other drivers.

Maybe late at night, but certainly not on a weekday...

It'll take 1 hour just to go 1 mile... :lol:

EDIT: I will say, I do prefer driving in big snows over the light stuff (that turns the roads into skating rinks).

I feel the same about going into Marquette when the roads are bad. Up where I live, roads have been snow covered since around Halloween. They're all dirt and don't get any salt, just plowed through every so often. Of course 4-wheel drive makes all the difference in making it fun vs a pain in the ass.

Livingston county used to just scrap and sand the dirt roads, now they mix salt into the sand and it results in muddy dirt roads even below freezing. It's really reduced the winter enjoyment that used to come with dirt, it was the few times where you could keep a clean car, now it's a mud pit.

KIND is going off the deep end lol.  They've been slamming the models for a week now.  The Caucasians must be flowing. ....

.LONG TERM /THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY/...
ISSUED AT 233 PM EST MON DEC 29 2014

HAVE RARELY SEEN THE MODELS IN SUCH DISAGREEMENT AND SO *EXTREMELY*
INCONSISTENT FOR THE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM SUPPOSEDLY SET TO IMPACT
THE REGION SOMETIME BETWEEN FRIDAY AND THE END OF THE WEEKEND.
MODELS ARE CHANGING BACK AND FORTH FROM RUN TO RUN AND PRETTY MUCH
ALL OVER THE PLACE. IT/S PRETTY NEAR IMPOSSIBLE TO COMPARE WHAT IS
CURRENTLY BEING DEPICTED TO PREVIOUS RUNS...SO WILL JUST SPEAK OF
MOST RECENT RUN. NOW THE GFS IS DELAYING THE ARRIVAL OF THE SYSTEM
BY AT LEAST OVER 24 HRS...AS IT DOES NOT BRING MOISTURE IN FROM THE
SOUTH UNTIL SAT EVENING ACROSS CENTRAL INDIANA. THEN THE GFS TRACKS
A LARGE CLOSED OFF LOW WEST OF THE APPALACHIANS AND NORTHEAST INTO
THE MARITIMES BY MONDAY MORNING. THE EURO MEANWHILE EITHER SKIRTS
THE SOUTHERN PORTION OF CENTRAL INDIANA OR DOES NOT EVEN REACH
CENTRAL INDIANA AND INSTEAD KEEPS THE SYSTEM TO THE SOUTH AND
MOVES THE LOW OFF THE COASTAL CAROLINAS BY SUNDAY NIGHT. THE OTHER
MODELS BARE NO RESEMBLANCE TO EACH OTHER TO DRAW FURTHER
COMPARISONS...SO THERE IS *A LOT* OF UNCERTAINTY FOR THE END OF
THIS WORK WEEK THROUGH AT LEAST THE FIRST HALF OF THE WEEKEND.

SUPERBLEND GUIDANCE TRIES TO TAKE A BLEND OF THE COMPLETELY
DIFFERENT SOLUTIONS (MAINLY THE GFS AND EURO)...WHICH LOWERS POPS
FROM WHAT WAS PREVIOUSLY IN FORECAST...GENERALLY WITH LOWER POPS
NORTHWARD AND SLIGHTLY HIGHER ONES TO THE SOUTH. ALSO
RAIN...MIXING WITH AND/OR CHANGING TO SNOW IS POSSIBLE AT
TIMES...BUT NEARLY IMPOSSIBLY TO NAIL DOWN PRECIP TYPE WITH SUCH
DIFFERENCES IN TRACKS AND TIMING.

What they really meant  :axe:

"Let me tell you something, p%#dejo. You pull any of your crazy s#&t with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your a$$ and pull the trigger 'til it goes click."

We are very well behaved subforum. After the December we just experienced and we are still on Part 1 of the complaint thread with a couple of hundred posts to spare. Take out the banter posts and we are doing quite well. It very easily could have turned into a bit*chfest.

We are very well behaved subforum. After the December we just experienced and we are still on Part 1 of the complaint thread with a couple of hundred posts to spare. Take out the banter posts and we are doing quite well. It very easily could have turned into a bit*chfest.

I think it's the potential storm this weekend that's keeping things at bay (which, regardless of the solution, is DOA for the other subforums).

But if it falls through the cracks, I'm sure this thread will be lit up.

I think it's the potential storm this weekend that's keeping things at bay (which, regardless of the solution, is DOA for the other subforums).

I don't know about that, especially since there looks to be a nice clipper beyond this storm this weekend. Things have started to get more active, we just need something to fall on the right side of the tracks for us.

More likely it is the fact that most of us are in the same boat (versus a snowmobile haha).  Anyways, the fact that most areas have had little to no snow, and no one is getting screwed vs the rest, the whole misery loves company expression is keeping the complaints at bay.

More likely it is the fact that most of us are in the same boat (versus a snowmobile haha).  Anyways, the fact that most areas have had little to no snow, and no one is getting screwed vs the rest, the whole misery loves company expression is keeping the complaints at bay.

This!!

Also I know for myself I was prepared for this winter to be 'lousy' compared to last winter even with all the hype we had going during the fall.  Granted December was even worse than I was imagined but as you say it has pretty much sucked for most everyone east of the Mississippi. 

This!!

Also I know for myself I was prepared for this winter to be 'lousy' compared to last winter even with all the hype we had going during the fall.  Granted December was even worse than I was imagined but as you say it has pretty much sucked for most everyone east of the Mississippi. 

Agree 100% for the grand scheme of themes. I mean, I would never have expected November to be as good as it was, and likewise i never would have imagined December to be as bad as it was...but if you mash everything together and look at how much winter weather we have had season to date, its almost par for the course on what we should expect after such a historic winter (ma nature likes karma). Im sure we will have wintry periods in the next 3+ months, but this will be no 2013-14 redux.

This winter just fooking sucks. The long range appeared to offer some decent chances but recent model trends are not to encouraging. Oh well after last winter I can live if this winter is complete ****.

We're one of the only areas that have had a decent 6-10" snowfall. And last winter was ok, but compared to the record breaking nonsense that was happening to our S & W, I don't look back on it so glowingly.

I'm getting a little antsy, but assuming we get a couple of inches with the Saturday system and the follow up clipper gives us some more, we're on track to have a decent winter. And that'll make it 3 in a row after abysmal clunkers like 2009-10 and 2011-12.

Archived