joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread

Whitelakeroy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In normal years a few of us complain about stat padding and nickle & diming. But this year I think most of us would cheer with joy to see a coating to an inch. What a shht show this winter has been so far. Even the daily flakage you normally see has been absent. Gonna be a long a Jan if things dont improve and dry and cold would be the worst.

It's a 1990's winter.

I took a walk in a serene, quite park in fresh powder snow on Nov 19th. I almost didnt because I thought, hey, winters not even here yet, this is utter bonus, but it was too tempting with the sparkling powder and arctic winter air. I should have savored it even more.

DTW's futility record is pretty low, right? About 12" or so IIRC. I would bet hard against that considering you're already at 4" but as someone interested in climatology you'd have to marvel at recording your most prodigious and most futile winters in terms of snowfall back to back.

DTW's futility record is pretty low, right? About 12" or so IIRC. I would bet hard against that considering you're already at 4" but as someone interested in climatology you'd have to marvel at recording your most prodigious and most futile winters in terms of snowfall back to back.

1880-81 had 93.6" of snow and that record stood until 2013-14. The next winter 1881-82 had 13.2". Its actually the 2nd least snowy winter on record (see below) but its BY FAR the warmest winter on record and has not been challenged since. Way more extreme than the more discussed, more documented 1981-82 to 1982-83 case (both cases are frightening lol).

DTW's futility record is 12.9" (1936-37). This season we are at 4.0" to date, and we should be at 10.0" to date. That means that climatologically, the snow season is only 23% done. We literally have 4 more months of accumulating snow potential to go. Its really not even worth any SERIOUS discussion, because one big snowstorm, let alone the nickel/diming this region is known for, and it quickly gets wiped away. In fact....how many years did I hear folks from this region (whether they will admit it now or not) say they were tired of nickel/diming, winter is too long, they just care about snowstorms, they would love to live an east coast winter. Well here you go! Here is you east coast winter!!! Weeks and weeks and weeks of NOTHING with the hope that a big storm will spin up at some point. If said storm does spin up, this "winter" will be remembered fondly by them, even though 95% of the winter was boredom with that one orgasmic storm (that lost its scenic appeal the next day).

Jokes aside, for those "I only want the big storm" folks, there is a TON of winter left. Heck, it basically just started. For those of us who like winter for winter, the scenery, the winter wonderland snowcover...every week of boredom that ticks away is another week lost. I have no doubt that DTW will not even be close to the futility record in April, but the things I like about a long winter is shortening and shortening.

I am starting to have some negative thoughts on a decent winter even up my way, its pretty clear that the only area that is going to have any sustainable cold/snow is well north of the bridge which is not all that uncommon but there is usually at least some cold and snow in my area on a consistent basis.  Plenty of winter left, but the clock is ticking for the LES before the machine gets cutoff for my area.

really only 2 months of decent big storm climo remaining and it looks like you can toss the first week or so at that

3 months. This region has had a ton of big snowstorms in March. In fact, the odds of getting a 6"+ are very similiar in all 4 months Dec, Jan, Feb, & Mar (the least being Mar and the most Feb, but its mere percentage points difference). Of course a snowstorm in March does not last as long.

No they werent. Not to date. 1997-98 actually had near normal snowfall by the close of December btw :lol:.

Again, you cant compare a full winter to one that is barely 1/4 complete lol.

It's okay you can admit this winter sucks. There is nothing good about this winter so far

don't pick on Mich, he's our perpetual glass half full guy for the subforum.  We ever lose his eternal optmism and we're REALLY screwed...lol

Thanks for the compliment :) But I still think its more realistic than optimistic.

There is TONS of time left for a big storm. A lot more time left than time lost. And thats what i thought a majority of this board was really into.

For those of us who like winter for winter......every week lost is a week lost. Great things can and probably will happen at some point, but it cannot replace all these weeks of nothing.

1880-81 had 93.6" of snow and that record stood until 2013-14. The next winter 1881-82 had 13.2". Its actually the 2nd least snowy winter on record (see below) but its BY FAR the warmest winter on record and has not been challenged since. Way more extreme than the more discussed, more documented 1981-82 to 1982-83 case (both cases are frightening lol).

DTW's futility record is 12.9" (1936-37). This season we are at 4.0" to date, and we should be at 10.0" to date. That means that climatologically, the snow season is only 23% done. We literally have 4 more months of accumulating snow potential to go. Its really not even worth any SERIOUS discussion, because one big snowstorm, let alone the nickel/diming this region is known for, and it quickly gets wiped away. In fact....how many years did I hear folks from this region (whether they will admit it now or not) say they were tired of nickel/diming, winter is too long, they just care about snowstorms, they would love to live an east coast winter. Well here you go! Here is you east coast winter!!! Weeks and weeks and weeks of NOTHING with the hope that a big storm will spin up at some point. If said storm does spin up, this "winter" will be remembered fondly by them, even though 95% of the winter was boredom with that one orgasmic storm (that lost its scenic appeal the next day).

Jokes aside, for those "I only want the big storm" folks, there is a TON of winter left. Heck, it basically just started. For those of us who like winter for winter, the scenery, the winter wonderland snowcover...every week of boredom that ticks away is another week lost. I have no doubt that DTW will not even be close to the futility record in April, but the things I like about a long winter is shortening and shortening.

3 months. This region has had a ton of big snowstorms in March. In fact, the odds of getting a 6"+ are very similiar in all 4 months Dec, Jan, Feb, & Mar (the least being Mar and the most Feb, but its mere percentage points difference). Of course a snowstorm in March does not last as long.

It does! When have I said it doesnt? November was great, December a trainwreck...sorry I wont comment on months that havent happened yet.

Thanks for the compliment :) But I still think its more realistic than optimistic.

There is TONS of time left for a big storm. A lot more time left than time lost. And thats what i thought a majority of this board was really into.

For those of us who like winter for winter......every week lost is a week lost. Great things can and probably will happen at some point, but it cannot replace all these weeks of nothing.

Well you surprised me. laugh.png

I expected you to hold off on any rants until at least mid-January... tongue.png

And to be fair, this winter so far is an equal opportunity failure for big snowstorm lovers and those who simply want snowflakes in the air, constant cold and snow on the ground.

I live where I live because I like warm summers and cold winters. I realize there will be potential for some nice severe along with some nice snows...but neither is guarantee any given season....there are places to live that get better guarantees on the latter 2 categories

November was a little chilly thanks to nuri for the most part...

December has been a little warm...

I'm sure we will get a shot at a decent snowstorm or 2 before the winter is over....no biggie...

I'm just glad the drippy gray days of daytime temps near normal and nighttime temps above average are gone for the time being. Its nice to feel the morning chill and at least occasionally see some blue skies

In normal years a few of us complain about stat padding and nickle & diming. But this year I think most of us would cheer with joy to see a coating to an inch. What a shht show this winter has been so far. Even the daily flakage you normally see has been absent. Gonna be a long a Jan if things dont improve and dry and cold would be the worst.

Bingo ... nickel & dime stuff would be great right now. I will take snow however it wants to comes.

To be perfectly honest, I could bare the boringness a bit more if it weren't so damn cloudy!!!

Archived