Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread

Whitelakeroy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So much fun a year ago at this time. The hybrid frisbee storm had finished up on this day...and the Jan 5-6 storm and following arctic outbreak was right around the corner. 

:wub:

I was in heaven. Some of the Detroit area posters were upset Jan 5th because metro-Detroit south ended up with 10-12" (even though snowpack neared a foot and a half) because there was a stripe of 14-17" NW. Funny thing is that ended up being nowhere near the deepest snowpack last winter. Oh to have those problems again! Actually I remember powerball annoyed at the 60-hr New Years grinder and then of course missing the big totals Jan 5th. Now he, like everyone else, is probably looking forward to a few inches of snow this Tues. What a difference a year makes.

Yeah, it's patchier, but still around. Even on rooftops. Temps never got warmer than 34.

We never passed 35F (we were supposed to briefly spike to over 40F), no snow on the ground yet (should get a bit later today) but the northern suburbs still have their ice (which was suppose to melt as they were to spike into the mid-upper 30s). My god the models can get nothing right this year lol.

We never passed 35F (we were supposed to briefly spike to over 40F), no snow on the ground yet (should get a bit later today) but the northern suburbs still have their ice (which was suppose to melt as they were to spike into the mid-upper 30s). My god the models can get nothing right this year lol.

Same here. Yesterday, forecast high for today was for 52 believe it or not. Zero chance that or even the 40s happens.

Sucky part is that we were so close to eking out an ice storm.

Looks like Toronto will miss out on the clipper.

Thereafter, its a snooze fest. So far this winter isnt all that great, lol.

I don't think it will be a bad week snowfall wise for us. There are many opportunities for squalls, northern branch pieces(friday and beyond) in addition to other meso feature's that could come up. Flakes should fly pretty often at the least.

I don't think it will be a bad week snowfall wise for us. There are many opportunities for squalls, northern branch pieces(friday and beyond) in addition to other meso feature's that could come up. Flakes should fly pretty often at the least.

I thought your call of a 6" storm by 1/10 was a good one. Unfortunately, it didn't work out.

Should be a wintry week, but lack of storminess is what I was referring to. Latest models don't really have much action for the region in the medium range. Maybe a threat next weekend, but we"ll see about that.

On the other hand, if we were a bit colder, this storm could've been another ice storm for us, lmao.

I thought your call of a 6" storm by 1/10 was a good one. Unfortunately, it didn't work out.

So did I. The pattern was there, it just didn't deliver as it could have. With 44cm IMBY already, I'm on pace for an above average season believe it or not.

Can't complain given the lack of snow to our south and west. It is nice to finally be on top of DTW snowfall wise... which we should be most years.

So did I. The pattern was there, it just didn't deliver as it could have. With 44cm IMBY already, I'm on pace for an above average season believe it or not.

Can't complain given the lack of snow to our south and west. It is nice to finally be on top of DTW... which we should be most years.

You guys are certainly making a nice run for it.

That said, February in the past few years have been uber-snowy for us. So we could easily catch back up in total snowfall...

That said, February in the past few years have been uber-snowy for us. So we could easily catch back up in total snowfall...

Yeah it will be interesting to see. This year did finally bust the snowless November trend, so hopefully we dont bust the snowy February trend. Superstitions aside February has been on a RIDICULOUS tear lately. Unless they use a massive amount of quality control at NCDC, February will easily be Detroits snowiest month on average when the next set of normals comes out, and thats never happened before (its usually January).

February has been our strongest snowfall month as well the last 10 years or so too. But the winter's still young. 11.5" (YYZ-DTW differential) is nothing to make up.

Why even waste your time with the nipher gauge number? North York or Downtown FTW.

Downtown data updates too erratically for my liking. Sometimes it goes up to 2 weeks without new data. North York #s are too inflated (not that I think they're slant sticking or anything, but it's just too far north to be representative of what Toronto actually receives).

Archived