Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread

Whitelakeroy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Columbus seems to pickup moisture from the Atlantic coast during transfer events. 

this is a common misconception.  Truth be told most transfers end up screwing us.  If they come up too far north before the transfer we warm tongue, if they transfer earlier we get sucker holed.  They usually need to come up fairly far east, (right along the slopes of the apps), and maintain their strength pretty far north.  That is a very rare thread-the-needle scenario.

If you look at most big storms, ie Mach '08, Dec. '04, that hammered us, there was no transfer of the low.

Being in the southeast flanks of the forum inherently means we have worse snow-climo then most here.  The one difference is we usually share in the benefits of a major HECS, ie. Jan'96, Feb'03, and the 2010 snowmaggaedon stuff.

oops...sorry Chicago Storm   Hey, how about those 12z ens today!

this is a common misconception.  Truth be told most transfers end up screwing us.  If they come up too far north before the transfer we warm tongue, if they transfer earlier we get sucker holed.  They usually need to come up fairly far east, (right along the slopes of the apps), and maintain their strength pretty far north.  That is a very rare thread-the-needle scenario.

If you look at most big storms, ie Mach '08, Dec. '04, that hammered us, there was no transfer of the low.

Being in the southeast flanks of the forum inherently means we have worse snow-climo then most here.  The one difference is we usually share in the benefits of a major HECS, ie. Jan'96, Feb'03, and the 2010 snowmaggaedon stuff.

oops...sorry Chicago Storm   Hey, how about those 12z ens today!

Those coastal transfer storms drive me nuts IMBY usually I get 3-5" snow and it starts snowing really good then BAM it starts to transfer and the radar returns turn to garbage and it's just a few more hours of light snow when it could have been so much better without the transfer lol.

Those coastal transfer storms drive me nuts IMBY usually I get 3-5" snow and it starts snowing really good then BAM it starts to transfer and the radar returns turn to garbage and it's just a few more hours of light snow when it could have been so much better without the transfer lol.

Sounds like a nice 4-6 inch event.

Best night in a week or two for my furnace to call it quits :axe:

My furnace quit last year in the middle of the Jan 5 storm!

Luckily it was only 14 months old and under warranty and I could basically "ctl-alt-del" my furnace to reset it and it would work for a few more hours. Furnace guy replaced the board a few days later.

My furnace quit last year in the middle of the Jan 5 storm!

Luckily it was only 14 months old and under warranty and I could basically "ctl-alt-del" my furnace to reset it and it would work for a few more hours. Furnace guy replaced the board a few days later.

Yeah, definitely not the worse night for it to go out.

Best night in a week or two for my furnace to call it quits :axe:

That sucks.  Def feel your pain.  Mine went out last Feb right after Valentines day.  Was without heat for a week till got a new furnace installed.  Just get yourself some space heaters to get by if you have to.  They work well enough for short term use.  Good luck!

The amount of 12"+ events in several major cities in Midwest has seen since 1914

Chicago 15

Kansas City 6

Minneapolis 11

Milwaukee 14

Madison 18

Indianapolis 6

Flint 10

Toronto 22

St.Louis 5

I still think a bit of it does involve luck though and this place is a perfect example of that and thus see Jan 67 and then 78 and more freaky is they were on the same day.

As someone else once pointed out a few years back the lakes probably play a role be it extra help with totals or track. This place has had a crap load of 12+ events just since i have moved here. Madison i bet has had a similar fate?

Off the top of my head,

12+ since i moved here..

Jan 2005 aka super clipper

Dec 2007

March 2008

Jan 2009

Dec 2009..This was lake enhanced though

Feb 2010

Feb 2011

Jan 2014

Top 3 are

Jan 67 with 28.6"

Jan 78, 25.1"

Jan 79 18"

If i get the time at some point i'll look up back to 1950 and then some day go back to 1896 which is as far back as records go for here.

That sucks.  Def feel your pain.  Mine went out last Feb right after Valentines day.  Was without heat for a week till got a new furnace installed.  Just get yourself some space heaters to get by if you have to.  They work well enough for short term use.  Good luck!

Yeah, I've got a gas fireplace and a couple space heaters. Staying pretty comfortable so far. :)

The last storm over 10" IMBY was in 2009...  got 11.5" from that storm. the GHD blizzard warning I just barely got into wasn't that impressive here, only got 7" snow after several dry spots comng over me on radar, while everybody else was getting rocked, the winds and low visibility were great though. sadly I keep topping out at 6-9" for my "big storms"

I haven't seen an accumlulating snowfall since November 16th when we got 3.5 inches. Hoping to get another one soon. Last week we spent 100 hours below freezing and couldn't even squeeze out a flurry. Hoping the winter gets better after we get into the 50's Saturday.

What is your average?

top was March '08,  I think the official was 21", but local lollipops of up to 26" 

As far as the rest, you may want to page our local weather statistician  extraordinaire, aka jbcmh

Never thought PDII would be topped so quickly..

Archived