• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread

Whitelakeroy

I definitely prefer a front-loaded winter.  By March I'm itching to get back into the garden.  I actually don't mind the December dud, though.  I love watching it snow as much as ever, but the older I get(now 40) the less I like 3+ months of cold.  If we can pack a great winter into January and February I'd be ok with it.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefer front loaded Winters.

1. Sun angle is better. Once Feb 15 is here, you really begin to battle the Sun.

2. snow is fresh and fun in late Fall and Early Winter, plus you have it at Christmas time.

3. Early Snows provide long lasting snow pack and I am a snow pack whore.

Exactly...

A good November and December can easily stretch snowcover for 4-5 months in the northwoods. 

The best base building month is over and only the north half of the UP has snowcover worth keeping around.

It really sucks that winter truly hasn't started yet for most of us, yet the days are now getting longer. 1/3rd of winter is over without winter.

There are many ways to look at it. Met winter is 1/3 over, but the snow season is only 25% over. We had winter in November and late Autumn in December. December sucked and nothing is going to change that. But yes, the days are getting longer....and the average temps are getting colder. We are still 3-4 weeks away from the dead of winter. Cold is on the door, lets hope snow follows.

BTW bo...Im a snowcover whore too. I REALLY prefer a front to back loaded winter :lol:. Just saying if I had to pick one or the other :P

imagine if we hadn't had that freakishly cold/snowy period in November. Imagine no LES bonanza in MI and n.OH.   Many of us in the subforum would be nearing snowfall futility records thru Jan 1 

So for those who say it isn't as bad as we think, it's also true to say it probably should be even worse.

imagine if we hadn't had that freakishly cold/snowy period in November. Imagine no LES bonanza in MI and n.OH.   Many of us in the subforum would be nearing snowfall futility records thru Jan 1 

So for those who say it isn't as bad as we think, it's also true to say it probably should be even worse.

Meh...its all perspective. Too many what-ifs in the weather. What if Nov & Dec were reversed? It would be a blah start to winter but it would seem much better than it has. As to the it should be even worse....what if we actually had a few measurable snows in December? Because there have been numerous Decembers warmer than this one that had a bit of measurable snow.

Anyone can sugarcoat it or exaggerate it all they want. The bottom line...

November - great

December - terrible

January - ?

February - ?

March - ?

April - ?

Meh...its all perspective. Too many what-ifs in the weather. What if Nov & Dec were reversed? It would be a blah start to winter but it would seem much better than it has. As to the it should be even worse....what if we actually had a few measurable snows in December? Because there have been numerous Decembers warmer than this one that had a bit of measurable snow.

Anyone can sugarcoat it or exaggerate it all they want. The bottom line...

November - great

December - terrible

January - ?

February - ?

March - ?

April - ?

cross April off that list.

cross April off that list.

Actually, April is still an interesting month because...it still has snowstorm potential but it also has "spring" potential too. In years past, some folks have said April adds to their winter grade (ie, a cold, dreary, damp April would knock the grade down), Whereas those of us like me still want every last snowfall. Most of us are on the same page Dec-Feb, but we all start to stray into our own paths of preference in March and especially April.

Actually, April is still an interesting month because...it still has snowstorm potential but it also has "spring" potential too. In years past, some folks have said April adds to their winter grade (ie, a cold, dreary, damp April would knock the grade down), Whereas those of us like me still want every last snowfall. Most of us are on the same page Dec-Feb, but we all start to stray into our own paths of preference in March and especially April.

hell if I could hibernate from Feb15th - April 16th....I would.   God I hate that time of year.   Best time to escape to the tropics.

hell if I could hibernate from Feb15th - April 16th....I would. God I hate that time of year. Best time to escape to the tropics.

I'd rather it end March 31st, unless it's going to be a massive dump locally. With me, it's all about whether I can play in it. I hate snowstorms that miss me to the south when we have no snow locally worth keeping, I can't play in it. Storms that miss me to the north have recreational value.

Anyhow, can't control the weather.

I know, but come April, I'm ready for shorts and digging in the dirt. Although I was told by the previous owners of this place that routinely there's snow in spots until early June. If it's going to snow in April, it better be worth it.

I know, but come April, I'm ready for shorts and digging in the dirt. Although I was told by the previous owners of this place that routinely there's snow in spots until early June. If it's going to snow in April, it better be worth it.

Last years 3-inch April snow on tax day was the probably the most celebrated/media-covered April snow here in decades :lol:. It was a harmless but scenic snowfall, but it broke the seasonal snowfall record. April snow can sometimes have an affect on season snowfall statistics, and can sometimes be historic (see 1886) but by and large April snow is a nuisance and nothing more. Aprils a terrible month anyway, so I say let it snow and bring on Tigers baseball lol

The satisfaction from the Dec 11 storm is starting to fade.

I took a walk in a serene, quite park in fresh powder snow on Nov 19th. I almost didnt because I thought, hey, winters not even here yet, this is utter bonus, but it was too tempting with the sparkling powder and arctic winter air. I should have savored it even more.

In normal years a few of us complain about stat padding and nickle & diming. But this year I think most of us would cheer with joy to see a coating to an inch. What a shht show this winter has been so far. Even the daily flakage you normally see has been absent. Gonna be a long a Jan if things dont improve and dry and cold would be the worst.

In normal years a few of us complain about stat padding and nickle & diming. But this year I think most of us would cheer with joy to see a coating to an inch. What a shht show this winter has been so far. Even the daily flakage you normally see has been absent. Gonna be a long a Jan if things dont improve and dry and cold would be the worst.

Bingo ... nickel & dime stuff would be great right now. I will take snow however it wants to comes.

Archived