Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread

Whitelakeroy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Met winter.

At least we have the pattern cracking now.... We just couldn't lock anything down the entire 2011-2012 met winter... I remember being forced to snowmobile almost exclusively in Alger county, in fact the entire midwestern snowmobile contingent was forced into that small areas. If the next 2 weeks look as the GFS shows, I don't see that repeating inself.

2011-2012 was a 1 on a scale of 1-10.

2013-2014 was a 10 on the same scale.

I think this winter will probably be a 3.

At least we have the pattern cracking now.... We just couldn't lock anything down the entire 2011-2012 met winter... I remember being forced to snowmobile almost exclusively in Alger county, in fact the entire midwestern snowmobile contingent was forced into that small areas. If the next 2 weeks look as the GFS shows, I don't see that repeating inself.

2011-2012 was a 1 on a scale of 1-10.

2013-2014 was a 10 on the same scale.

I think this winter will probably be a 3.

This is just going by my backyard. I know some spots are better than others this year but to end up December with the trace of snow is ridiculous... You would think we would've fell into a half an inch of snow or an inch of snow at some point. I know there's a few more days left in this month but tonight looks shot in the next few days after today look shot. Ending up with a trace of snow it's very possible.

Except, November was WAY WAY WAY better this year.

Met winter, sure... 2014-2015 so far scores well under 2011-2012.

January on the GFS looks better this coming month than 2012 though. 

As you said, November was way way way better in 2014 than 2011. December in 2011 was warmer, wetter, and snowier than 2014. I cannot compare met winters when this one is not a third over and the rest of it is completely unknown. In the end, I personally grade winter on the entire thing, which includes November & March (which were torches in 2011-12).

In the end....December cant get much worse than this year, but I give it about a 15% chance that 2014-15 is a sh*ttier winter than 2011-12.

DTW has yet to log more than a tenth of an inch for Dec. Its increasingly looking as if this will hold through the months end. I don't think too many predicted such an awful start.

I wouldn't be shocked now if we finish with a T in Dec. Never would have imagined that, but its looking possible.The start itself is bad but there have been many worse (thans to our cold snowy November) but December itself couldnt get any worse (it could be warmer, but the fact that its been mild but no torch only adds insult to the lack of snow).

My gut instinct did call for a very light snow winter (karma from last year) for months, but that changed with all the persuasive outlooks in the Fall.

All that said....climatologically we have 80% of the snow season to go :)

Pretty much time to give up on any thought of this being a historic winter around here.  Realistically, you can't lose the entire month of December and expect to come out of the hole and end up with something top notch. 

If I have to pick front or back loaded, I prefer front loaded winters as it fits better with the holidays and no sun angle issues creeping in. 

Pretty much time to give up on any thought of this being a historic winter around here.  Realistically, you can't lose the entire month of December and expect to come out of the hole and end up with something top notch. 

If I have to pick front or back loaded, I prefer front loaded winters as it fits better with the holidays and no sun angle issues creeping in. 

I have always been the opposite. I prefer back-loaded (but still want snow for the Christmas season :P)

I have always been the opposite. I prefer back-loaded (but still want snow for the Christmas season :P)

I prefer front loaded Winters.

1. Sun angle is better. Once Feb 15 is here, you really begin to battle the Sun.

2. snow is fresh and fun in late Fall and Early Winter, plus you have it at Christmas time.

3. Early Snows provide long lasting snow pack and I am a snow pack whore.

who cares whether we have a torch or whether we end up with a negative temp departure for December.  The bottom line, the reason that 90% of us post so frequently here in the  winter is to track snowfall  PERIOD.   I have no interest in racking up a monthly negative temp departure and trying to find something 'good' out of that if it yielded zero snow.  There is ZERO victory in that. If that's the case, bring me the damn torch.

Another thing I want to rant about.  I'm really sick of mets rolling their eyes at us weenies and saying the pattern DID change, we're just too stupid to realize it.    Again, I live at 10 meters and under.  That's what I and 90% of everyone here judges the accuracy of forecasts on.  If it didn't snow the first 2 weeks in December, and it doesn't snow the last 2 weeks in December, I don't give a crap whether the pattern changed at 500mb.  Net result...no snow.

rant over, thank you!    :)   

Archived