Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
November Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amped, the next frame the low jumps back west and tucks into the coast and begins to bomb. I think it would flip to snow due to the rates and the already cold air. Some ptype maps have that scenario. 

I think it bombs too late for us like 90% of east coast storms. NYC East might see some backlash. Front end thump here, over to Drizzle, over to windy.

Starting to see some consensus with ops and ensembles for Friday flakes. Euro ensembles made a notable shift towards laying down some precip Friday.

Unfortunately the odds are tilting towards a rainer or nothing for the threat behind it. Nothing shocking there and a long ways out.

Euro ensemble low location plots show the pattern staying active through d10-15. Preseason weenie practice will be tiring this month. 2 a days and stuff.

Today was my first day looking at any models seriously.

Friday is definitely starting to pique my interest. Doesn't look like anything major of course, but first flakes are always nice.

The threat afterward...meh.

Lol, the parallel GFS goes bananas with the "snowcover" across the northern US. Weenie run.

It's an anomalous and very fun pattern for Nov. I've been interested in it since the first signs. Accum snow will be tough. We all know it. But it's certainly not like tracking a freak timed event in the middle of a crap pattern sandwich. We've had plenty of that in djf in recent years.

Another thing that makes it a bit exciting is what it may imply for Dec. We haven't had good blocking for years. Last year was great and all but cold moved in and out within 3 days. Would be nice to have a stable cold pattern set up in winter months. Dec could be one of those based on what I'm seeing. The ao tendency to be neg could last 45 days or longer. Way too early to make that call but past history points towards the possibility coming to fruition

It's an anomalous and very fun pattern for Nov. I've been interested in it since the first signs. Accum snow will be tough. We all know it. But it's certainly not like tracking a freak timed event in the middle of a crap pattern sandwich. We've had plenty of that in djf in recent years.

Another thing that makes it a bit exciting is what it may imply for Dec. We haven't had good blocking for years. Last year was great and all but cold moved in and out within 3 days. Would be nice to have a stable cold pattern set up in winter months. Dec could be one of those based on what I'm seeing. The ao tendency to be neg could last 45 days or longer. Way too early to make that call but past history points towards the possibility coming to fruition

That's good to hear. I was worried that this pattern would be wasted early.

That's good to hear. I was worried that this pattern would be wasted early.

December is still an obvious question mark but anomalous -ao decembers typically persist. This is some research I did several years ago. Shows it pretty clearly:

post-2035-0-76131700-1415462171_thumb.jp

Obviously seasonal snowfall is a mixed bag but that is to be expected. A lot more goes into snowfall than just a -ao. A good # of the best DCA snow years are on the list though. 

My wag is if November ends up below -1 on the means we can probably expect some persistence going forward. 02-03 is a good example of a nov -ao keeping its act together. 

post-2035-0-06404500-1415462415_thumb.jp

There are obviously no guarantees and pattern flips are always a risk but I can only see what is happening in Nov as a very positive sign. Even if things relax in early Dec, reloading everything down the line is probably more likely than losing it all together. 

Good post.  Also this first cold shot looks like it has some legs it doesn't look like a 2 days and done kind of thing.  That might be a difference between this winter and last, we had some really cold days (or couple of days), but it was transient.   With a little bit more of a blocky look probable this winter, I would guess the cold periods might me of a longer duration, even if not as extreme as some of the cold last season.  In the long run, this year's setup is probably better for the changes of a big snowstorm, especially in the mid-atlantic area.

December is still an obvious question mark but anomalous -ao decembers typically persist. This is some research I did several years ago. Shows it pretty clearly:

attachicon.gifDec -AO.JPG

Obviously seasonal snowfall is a mixed bag but that is to be expected. A lot more goes into snowfall than just a -ao. A good # of the best DCA snow years are on the list though. 

My wag is if November ends up below -1 on the means we can probably expect some persistence going forward. 02-03 is a good example of a nov -ao keeping its act together. 

attachicon.gifAO Graph 02-03-F.jpg

There are obviously no guarantees and pattern flips are always a risk but I can only see what is happening in Nov as a very positive sign. Even if things relax in early Dec, reloading everything down the line is probably more likely than losing it all together. 

That Feb 2010 number is crazy and says a lot about the power of a strong -AO around here.

12z GFS has some nice snow showers/light snow next Friday. 1-2" for DC verbatim? I'd take it. 

Playstation skips it east. Very similar to the euro. Can't really overthink it too much. Small/weak system affecting small piece of real estate. We won't know much until the midweek front is resolved. 

Archived