Newest Member
    e46ds1x
November Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess the warm-up is gone.

Nope, it's holding firmly in the d11-15 range where it's been for days. The 12z euro and gefs ensemble runs suck for the first 5 days of Dec but there's no reason to have any confidence in it. The runs still have the scandinavian and ak ridge during the period and that's what keeps driving these cold hp's due south.

If the warm up gets inside of 8-9 days we can go ahead and cancel winter.

Weeklies basically take the warm idea from d11-15 and continue it for 2 more weeks. Lowest heights out west and zonal/weak ridging east. But they still keep the same general pattern near the pole that we have now. Not identical of course but ridging signal from ak to scandinavia and into eastern Greenland. I'm not getting sucked in at all. No cool/cold pattern for 2-3 weeks? Nah.

EtA: upon closer inspection the ridging n of ak shifts towards Siberia but low heights never establish near the pole during weeks 3-4. And it's likely wrong anyways

Nope, it's holding firmly in the d11-15 range where it's been for days. The 12z euro and gefs ensemble runs suck for the first 5 days of Dec but there's no reason to have any confidence in it. The runs still have the scandinavian and ak ridge during the period and that's what keeps driving these cold hp's due south.

If the warm up gets inside of 8-9 days we can go ahead and cancel winter.

As long as it holds firmly for day 11-15 with every run I'm good..

Going to be really hard to thread the needle for a big coastal on Thanksgiving.  Flow is just way too fast with no upstream blocking.  I think odds are better that one of the little vortmaxes behind that one give us some flurries on Thanksgiving night or Black Friday.  

It's probably cold rain.....

My yesterday's CWG article was not a good one except for expressing uncertainty. Last night's run makes week after Thanksgiving look colder than normal on the latest european and its ensembles.  It more or less has jumped towards the GFS.  I probably also was too bearish about the chances of snow,  the CPC superensemble 5 day mean analog identified 3 snow events so if anything, the pattern is above normal for snow. This time of year, the odds for getting snow are low but in this pattern aren't non-existent. Anyway, that's my update from yesterdays' discussion.  Anyway, my discussion an analysis from yesterday were pretty bad. 

My yesterday's CWG article was not a good one except for expressing uncertainty. Last night's run makes week after Thanksgiving look colder than normal on the latest european and its ensembles.  It more or less has jumped towards the GFS.  I probably also was too bearish about the chances of snow,  the CPC superensemble 5 day mean analog identified 3 snow events so if anything, the pattern is above normal for snow. This time of year, the odds for getting snow are low but in this pattern aren't non-existent. Anyway, that's my update from yesterdays' discussion.  Anyway, my discussion an analysis from yesterday were pretty bad. 

I haven't read it yet, but will...it is a tough pattern to nail, and it almost never snows in November anyway.....maybe we could sneak in something mid week through next weekend....probably would be next weekend....to me the 1st week of december looks at or above normal, but that is far from a lock

The guidance seems pretty consistent that the first couple days of December will be vodka cold or tropically warm.  

this winter will show its hand in the next couple of weeks, namely, is it going to be bias cold regardless of medium and long range modeling or should we expect regular warming with a bias to warm

I vote cold in light of all the lr indicators

interesting that the CFS2 is painting a very wet December along the east coast with average temps; give me AN precip in any of the 3 winter months and I'll roll the dice with it....but that's not to say the CFS2 will be right for DEC, but the Euro seasonal model painted the strip of AN precip along the east coast too, sooooo....

Euro ensemble mean is east of the op for the wed-thurs deal. This is probably a good thing if we stand any chance. A more impressive piece of data is that 850's are -5 on the means @ hr 144. 0c line way south near NC. -5 on the means is fairly impressive.

Warmup firmly planted at d11+ still. Ensembles look bad in the d11-15 range but considering what's been happening the last week or 2 it's not really worth discussing. Ridge bridge look is also firmly planted d11-15.

ETA: euro ens now show both the ao/nao to dip negative on the 28-30th. First time it's shown that during the period lately. I suppose the pattern is more interesting for the holiday weekend than I thought.

My yesterday's CWG article was not a good one except for expressing uncertainty. Last night's run makes week after Thanksgiving look colder than normal on the latest european and its ensembles. It more or less has jumped towards the GFS. I probably also was too bearish about the chances of snow, the CPC superensemble 5 day mean analog identified 3 snow events so if anything, the pattern is above normal for snow. This time of year, the odds for getting snow are low but in this pattern aren't non-existent. Anyway, that's my update from yesterdays' discussion. Anyway, my discussion an analysis from yesterday were pretty bad.

I know the word has been burned out but persistence forecasting is more right than d11-15 looks on the ensembles the last week or so. It wasn't that long ago when the "relaxation" on guidance should be knocking on the door right now. It's just not materializing. Even though ensembles are looking pretty putrid on all guidance d11-15, it may end up just being another couple day thing as troughing in the goa/west coast warms us up in front of a another big cold shot. I'm fairly confused on what to think. We have AN heights plastered all over most of the country (especially the eastern half) down the line for 4+ days but it's hard just throw hands up and agree with it.

I know the word has been burned out but persistence forecasting is more right than d11-15 looks on the ensembles the last week or so. It wasn't that long ago when the "relaxation" on guidance should be knocking on the door right now. It's just not materializing. Even though ensembles are looking pretty putrid on all guidance d11-15, it may end up just being another couple day thing as troughing in the goa/west coast warms us up in front of a another big cold shot. I'm fairly confused on what to think. We have AN heights plastered all over most of the country (especially the eastern half) down the line for 4+ days but it's hard just throw hands up and agree with it.

As you go out past the 3rd, the pattern remains a tough one to call.  The ens mean looks like it would warm the middle of the coutnry quite a bit.  The NAEFS still are calling for near normal temps through their forecast period for much of the country. 

Archived