e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
November Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree. At this point its a low probability event- models are all over the place. Also its likely to be a rain event if it does materialize. And those Euro snow maps, lol. Just worthless.

6z GFS is a whiff. With the EURO depicting a more vigorous storm, the odds of it drawing in colder air makes some sense, right?

6z GFS is a whiff. With the EURO depicting a more vigorous storm, the odds of it drawing in colder air makes some sense, right?

Maybe for places at elevation NW, there could be some snow at the end. But there really isn't much cold air available. Plus its November and the water temps are warm etc. Unless you buy into some anomalously deep low with a perfect track, climo strongly favors rain for most of the region, if it develops at all. I dont think the Canadian shows any precip onshore, GFS brushes us then backs off run to run . There is still time, but I am betting on a whiff or a brush then a nice Turkey day with temps in the upper 40s.

Maybe for places at elevation NW, there could be some snow at the end. But there really isn't much cold air available. Plus its November and the water temps are warm etc. Unless you buy into some anomalously deep low with a perfect track, climo strongly favors rain for most of the region, if it develops at all. I dont think the Canadian shows any precip onshore, GFS brushes us then backs off run to run . There is still time, but I am betting on a whiff or a brush then a nice Turkey day with temps in the upper 40s.

at least 2 other mets will disagree with you about lack of cold air available, I'll follow them!!

at least 2 other mets will disagree with you about lack of cold air available, I'll follow them!!

They wouldn't be disagreeing with me lol. Look at the guidance. The air mass at that time, especially at the surface, is marginal. If that wave were to develop and moisture gets far enough inland, then places with some elevation on the NW edge would have a shot at some snow or a mix.

2 6z GEFS members get significant precip back to us and 2 more have sprinkles/flurries maybe. 

I saw someone say the Euro ens mean had 2", but can someone say if that's representative of most members giving us precip?  Or is it biased by a couple that look like the Op and most that are OTS?  I'm guessing the later...

Those maps should be banned lol. Esp the Euro ones. I think I already have received close to 8 inches of Euro modeled snow this month. ;)

most of the models show a storm of some sort

obviously the details will be worked out over the next few days, but what the Euro operational shows is one of those possibilities is a significant snow, so there's no reason not to discuss it

and as we all know, every storm is different so earlier modeled snow has no bearing on this or other future storms

2 6z GEFS members get significant precip back to us and 2 more have sprinkles/flurries maybe. 

I saw someone say the Euro ens mean had 2", but can someone say if that's representative of most members giving us precip?  Or is it biased by a couple that look like the Op and most that are OTS?  I'm guessing the later...

About half have some snow and 8 or so have over 6 inches but then the euro snow algorithm way overdoes snow. 

most of the models show a storm of some sort

obviously the details will be worked out over the next few days, but what the Euro operational shows is one of those possibilities is a significant snow, so there's no reason not to discuss it

and as we all know, every storm is different so earlier modeled snow has no bearing on this or other future storms

With the Euro it does. It typically overdoes snowfall. So part of the discussion should acknowledge that flaw.

one other thing, this storm comes at the end of a cold period so storms before a change/relaxation are not unusual and some have been pretty big over the years

That cold period is over today. This storm would be developing on the heels of 3 days of temps in the 50s and 60s, and at the beginning of a transition to a colder period. Those are usually rain.

That cold period is over today. This storm would be developing on the heels of 3 days of temps in the 50s and 60s, and at the beginning of a transition to a colder period. Those are usually rain.

whew, you really want to diss this thing for whatever reason

I'm talking the cold pattern we've been in that has featured warm-ups (as in Thursday when it reached the low-mid 50's!)

after next weekend, all the models show a regime change that has been well discussed in this thread, and that is what I'm referring to

Thanks Wes. That's better than I imagined.

It's also been a consistent trend of more members jumping on board and not some freak run that goes 0-60.

Euro op has temps in the mid to upper 30's and dropping through the heaviest precip and fall below freezing around the time precip exits. 850's aren't even close to being a problem. Even the ens mean has 0c well south at onset. Verbatim it's mostly a snow storm west of the bay but heavy rates are required for stickage until you get further west.

Archived