Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
November Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0z euro scraped us. There's been some ensemble support building but still plenty of spread. I think the shorter lead time that they models are showing should garner attention. But yes, we are still 5-6 days away. 

I did not know about that Euro run.  I'm still leaning on the side of heavy caution until there's more support.  Thanks for the info!

12z GEFS is somewhat bullish on a mild-up starting Monday 12/1...at or above...but the signal at this range is for above, not as much spread among the members as you would think.....week of 12/1 - 12/5 will be a good test for the models....I'd lean warm..

Yup...but it's different yet again from just the 6z GEFS mean.  I think saying normal to slightly above normal is probably the right call for the first week of December right now.  But with the ridging over the pole still being advertised, the frigid air is not that far away.  

yes..it's just more light sprinkles, Thanksgiving night..hard to stumble into snow even in late November...we need a real setup...

No doubt it's hard. Probably why it almost never happens. lol. But the biggest culprit is climo is still pretty warm so temps will almost always ruin it even with a decent setup. However, the airmasses dropping in are way below climo so there's at least that. It probably won't matter what any model says through the weekend before we can call it off. 2 pieces of energy, sharp trough, very cold air available. It's a worthy set of ingredients even if climo/odds are low. 

The analysis in here reminds me of last winter where we worriedly followed the day 10+ "warm-ups" and missed the snowstorms before that until they were right on top of us.

Always looking at a pattern that's 10 days away.....a perfect way to make winter seem like it lasts a month.

Waiting for the MJO or SSW to "get things right" is usually a big flag. Not saying that's the case here at all. I just never like hearing that we need to wait for the mjo or ssw. Brings back bad memories. 

Bob,  I'm with you about the MJO.  Model forecasts of it are notoriously bad,  at least that's how it seems to me. 

When I look at the Dec's for Nino's that were not great winters v/s great winters there is a clear difference.  I agree it seemed like the 11-15 day range for next week on the Euro was warm and now it's cold but I would like to see some blocking develop as we get into Dec.

Most nino winters but not all do have a positive AO rather than negative one.  I think I have a composite with more years than our's that bears out that relationship.  It's a tad early to get too worrry about the blocking. 

Most nino winters but not all do have a positive AO rather than negative one.  I think I have a composite with more years than our's that bears out that relationship.  It's a tad early to get too worrry about the blocking. 

They usually feature a period of blocking during JF I think even if the seasonal mean is +?

GEFS has been all over the place with trying to figure out whether the upcoming +AO period during the end of the month has legs or not.  The last 3 runs in a row keep showing more members returning to a -AO during the d10-15 period. 

They usually feature a period of blocking during JF I think even if the seasonal mean is +?

GEFS has been all over the place with trying to figure out whether the upcoming +AO period during the end of the month has legs or not.  The last 3 runs in a row keep showing more members returning to a -AO during the d10-15 period. 

What I meant and was trying to say is most bad snow nino years have a positive AO while the good ones have a negative one which is what his composites showed. 

Wait...after all of the tracking and talk about how the Siberian snow cover and advance promote a - AO is there really concern now that the AO could end up positive? Not questioning it just feels wonky reading that now?

I still think it likely that the Ao will end up more negative than positive this winter but inseasonal forecasting there are no sure things.

Gotchya, Misread what you were saying. I would guess a +AO/Nino combo is shorts and golf around here. 

I know most of us are not hung up on whether Dec starts off cold but I think it is important we see some blocking developing in Dec and that it averages negative as a whole for the month to set the tone for the rest of the winter.  For example, for JB's analogs, of the 10 nino's, 9 of them had Dec with a -AO and the tenth was neutral (86-87).  For CWG's 4 primary analogs, all of those had -AO for Dec.   We are still 10 days away from Dec starting and DT had a good twitter post today about the AO and how the models in the LR keep calling for a +AO and yet it ends up negative.

B2-t3pHIMAAC0n3.jpg

Euro ens support the op with a scraper first and a trailing wave getting organized off the coast. Both are east with the better precip. 

The Ens. mean snow total through d7 is 1-2" for the I-95 corridor. I know it's skewed by some of the members showing 12-18" lol, but it's still a good thing that a lot of members are showing decent precip coming ashore.

The Ens. mean snow total through d7 is 1-2" for the I-95 corridor. I know it's skewed by some of the members showing 12-18" lol, but it's still a good thing that a lot of members are showing decent precip coming ashore.

Yea, it's a huge jump from 0z though so there's that as well. About half the members show an inch or more in my yard. 

Warmup is definitely starting to look legit. Pretty much the entire conus is AOA from the 2nd-6th and probably beyond based on the setup at the end of the run. I doubt wall to wall or anything but if the alueutian ridge/GOA trough verifies then it would be hard not to have some warm days regardless of the state of the AO. 

Archived