• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
November Banter

jburns

Kelvin degrees are the same size as Celsius degrees.  The only difference is where 0 is located:  in Kelvin it's at absolute zero while in Celsius it's at the temperature where water freezes.

Just multiply Kelvin degrees by 1.8 to get the equivalent number of Fahrenheit degrees.

Thanks!   That's what I thought, I always just doubled it for F but thanks for clarifying.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This belongs in the banter because I don't think it's going to happen, with the aleutian low setting up shop after the first week of Dec I think worst case we would be seasonal the rest of the month, cold/warm shots.  I still have hope we flip to something more of a sustained wintery pattern by the last 10 days of Dec.  I never thought we would get an end to end cold this winter like 76-77, and to be honest who really wants that, but I do think we will have either one big long stretch (6 weeks) or two medium stretches (3-4 weeks) of cold/wintery.

That's called "normal" in the SE.

Agreed pack - and also why there's just nothing to say really, about the next 3 weeks. If not for all the resources and knowledge and every other form of "input" we consume (the stuff most of the population will never even know about), I'm betting the next 3 weeks would have appeared absolutely normal to me.

This is the SE. There is no set, defined or typical winter. The NE usually experiences a clear change in season - from warm to cold. The Midwest will also experience a stark change most of the time. The SE is variable by nature. There is no way to feel excellent about a long range winter forecast here. I simply do not understand the chaotic reactions to long range progs - warm or cold.

Thanks!   That's what I thought, I always just doubled it for F but thanks for clarifying.

Doubling is close enough for anything not involving rocket science.  :D

However, atmospheric science is pretty complicated.  Maybe doubling is not close enough.  A fraction of a degree can make all the difference between snow or cold rain.

That's called "normal" in the SE.

Agreed pack - and also why there's just nothing to say really, about the next 3 weeks. If not for all the resources and knowledge and every other form of "input" we consume (the stuff most of the population will never even know about), I'm betting the next 3 weeks would have appeared absolutely normal to me.

This is the SE. There is no set, defined or typical winter. The NE usually experiences a clear change in season - from warm to cold. The Midwest will also experience a stark change most of the time. The SE is variable by nature. There is no way to feel excellent about a long range winter forecast here. I simply do not understand the chaotic reactions to long range progs - warm or cold.

Well said, Bevo.  Well said.  :clap:

This morning NWS said snow tonight/tomorrow up to 1 inch.. NOW

TONIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY THIS EVENING...THEN MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A
CHANCE OF RAIN AFTER MIDNIGHT. LOWS IN THE MID 30S. LIGHT AND
VARIABLE WINDS. CHANCE OF RAIN 50 PERCENT.
.THANKSGIVING DAY...CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN IN THE MORNING...
THEN MOSTLY SUNNY WITH A SLIGHT CHANCE OF RAIN IN THE AFTERNOON.
HIGHS IN THE MID 40S. NORTHWEST WINDS AROUND 10 MPH. CHANCE OF
RAIN 40 PERCENT.

No mention of snow! lol It's unbelievable how much they change every package, I know weather changes but I think all they do is model worship.

This morning NWS said snow tonight/tomorrow up to 1 inch.. NOW

TONIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY THIS EVENING...THEN MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A

CHANCE OF RAIN AFTER MIDNIGHT. LOWS IN THE MID 30S. LIGHT AND

VARIABLE WINDS. CHANCE OF RAIN 50 PERCENT.

.THANKSGIVING DAY...CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN IN THE MORNING...

THEN MOSTLY SUNNY WITH A SLIGHT CHANCE OF RAIN IN THE AFTERNOON.

HIGHS IN THE MID 40S. NORTHWEST WINDS AROUND 10 MPH. CHANCE OF

RAIN 40 PERCENT.

No mention of snow! lol It's unbelievable how much they change every package, I know weather changes but I think all they do is model worship.

standard.jpg

Holy Cow, look at the 18Z GFS for 12/9-11! Yes, it is way out there and has very low credibility but that is by far the coldest run yet and perhaps it is at least a sign that the mild spell won't last very long as the ensemble means have suggested today and the Euro weeklies suggested yesterday.

In similar fashion to the 18Z GFS of yesterday, today's 18Z GFS has a very cold shot..this time for 12/10-12 and not quite as cold. This is being noted mainly for entertainment since credibility that far out is very low but also for the record in case it ends up getting cold ~12/10 since other indicators suggest colder around then.

In similar fashion to the 18Z GFS of yesterday, today's 18Z GFS has a very cold shot..this time for 12/10-12 and not quite as cold. This is being noted mainly for entertainment since credibility that far out is very low but also for the record in case it ends up getting cold ~12/10 since other indicators suggest colder around then.

Hey, If 336 hours is the best we can do, so be it.

Although I think 18Z has hit the egg nogg early 2 days in a row.

Happy Turkey Day!

Hey, If 336 hours is the best we can do, so be it.

Although I think 18Z has hit the egg nogg early 2 days in a row.

Happy Turkey Day!

pc,

Lmao! This feels like deja vu "all over again" as Yogi would say. Speaking of eggnog, I just thought of a great idea. I'm indebted to you. I have some critters to attract. Thanks for mentioning it! Happy Turkey Day to you, pc!

I have critters to detract - namely an armadillo that tears up my pine straw, digs up my azaleas and everything else he can find. I can't bow shoot or trap the thing, try as I might sleepy-eyed at 3:00 AM when he's out rooting and sets off the alarm and wakes me (and I can't just 20 gauge him, being inside city limits, without gong to jail).

Archived