Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
November Banter

jburns

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been convinced this will be a warm boring winter for a while. SCE/SAI is fun and all, but it's new research and only one variable. It's also hard to have a cold winter be followed by another cold winter.

The hype from the new "thing" has been overwhelming this year....so everyone has in their heads that this year was going to be wall to wall cold...It is not unusual to have a mild or normal December in a El Nino regime...Epic cold is hard to repeat but it does not rule out closer to normal but below and with an active southern stream, there is a good chance Jan/Feb will have plenty of entertainment value. The anomalous cold in November certainly enhanced the hype train. By no means is this winter close to over. Just have a little patience and wait for a more climo favored time period.

For anyone depressed about the perceived disappearance of winter going forward for the SE, go look at the 12-16 day GGEM ensembles. While not a guarantee (no model is) it points to what is likely to happen IMO after the 10th of December as the AO appears to stays negative for quite some time. All indicators still point to a great winter here and it is still 30 days until it officially starts (meteorlogical winter is December 5th) but I am sure some will be despondent anyway as that is their nature  :)

I thought meteorological winter was on 12/1?? They change everything nowadays!!

+10 departures for each month from December to April with very much below average precipitation.

But I'll seriously look when I get home.

Haha awesome!!

This belongs in the banter because I don't think it's going to happen, with the aleutian low setting up shop after the first week of Dec I think worst case we would be seasonal the rest of the month, cold/warm shots.  I still have hope we flip to something more of a sustained wintery pattern by the last 10 days of Dec.  I never thought we would get an end to end cold this winter like 76-77, and to be honest who really wants that, but I do think we will have either one big long stretch (6 weeks) or two medium stretches (3-4 weeks) of cold/wintery.

post-2311-0-69195900-1417014572_thumb.pn

lol @ these warm maps.  calm down guys, there is just no way the entire USA and a major part of Canada will be above normal.  Something's broken I suspect.

I've never put any merit or respect towards the CFS.  How's it been for this past Summer through now?

That's a new one we can put in the bag this year, Shawn.  I like it.  "It's broken...throw it out!"  :)

Actually I posted the wrong one, this one is in K which to get F would be roughly double...

Kelvin degrees are the same size as Celsius degrees.  The only difference is where 0 is located:  in Kelvin it's at absolute zero while in Celsius it's at the temperature where water freezes.

Just multiply Kelvin degrees by 1.8 to get the equivalent number of Fahrenheit degrees.

lol @ these warm maps.  calm down guys, there is just no way the entire USA and a major part of Canada will be above normal.  Something's broken I suspect.

I've never put any merit or respect towards the CFS.  How's it been for this past Summer through now?

It busted for Nov, which all modeling did so.  But other than I went back and peaked at the past few months and it did fairly good, and I went back and looked at the last 3 winters and it missed one of those 9 months.  It nailed last winter.  But, maybe it struggles in nino/pdo combinations, who knows, I don't really believe the conus will be that warm either but it's good a good track record at the month forecasts.  Now, we will still have 4 days of Nov left so let's see what it shows this weekend for Dec.

Archived