Peachtree City: 3/50

Athens: 11/50

Blairsville: 49/50 7 with +2"

Showing up nicely In the upstate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18z is looking a little weaker with that northern energy. May end up being slightly west and south of 12z GFS....let's see where she goes. Out to 33. 

I just wanna say......I'm posting in this pinned thread.....about a winter event(outside the mts)......on OCTOBER 30th, 2014     :P   

Now.....back to your regular scheduled pbp  ;)  

You were calling this a weenie fail event earlier this week! Glad to see some optimism! I hope it stays around for the rest of winter. I could also see NW ATL getting in on the flake action.

Yes sir, I'm shocked. No way I thought this would happen. Now someone will see a foot and maybe even 18"+. It's really insane.

Didn't read through these posts yet but wanted to post some information for those in the Midlands of South Carolina.

Temps are going to be too warm to even see a flake or flurry.  850's weren't too bad, but of course that's not the only factor.

Also, the GEFS only has one member (It may be the Operational) showing anything even falling as frozen precipitation in KCAE.

The 12z run of the ECMWF has 5 members showing very trace amounts with no accumulation.

The low down, it will not snow in KCAE this time around guys.  It will be too warm for it to stay frozen on the way down.  Sorry.

Edit:  Checked the current forecast discussion for KCAE and read the following:

THE SIGNIFICANT COLD POOL ALOFT IS SUFFICIENT TO SUPPORT FROZEN PRECIPITATION LATE FRIDAY
NIGHT INTO EARLY SATURDAY BUT EXPECT THE BOUNDARY LAYER  TO BE TOO

WARM TO SEE ANYTHING OTHER THAN RAIN AT THE SURFACE.

ON SATURDAY WITH THE UPPER LOW CROSSING THE FORECAST AREA WITH 500MB
TEMPERATURES AROUND -26C AND 850MB TEMPERATURES AROUND -3C TO -5C
THERE IS THE POSSIBILITY OF SOME GRAUPLE MIXING IN WITH ANY OF THE
STRONGER SHOWERS DUE TO STEEP LAPSE RATES WITH THE CONVECTIVE
PRECIPITATION.

Definitely exciting! :) Even though I will be on the outside looking in here in Easley, it's very "cool" to be talking about this in Oct. Hope you mountain guys get plastered! Just might have to go snow chasing on Sat. I think down sloping will be a major problem for us in the upstate, and the best chance in SC will be around the Union, Gaffney, Rock Hill areas ( those usually fare the best). Just happy to be looking at some colder temps for a couple days!:)

Definitely exciting! :) Even though I will be on the outside looking in here in Easley, it's very "cool" to be talking about this in Oct. Hope you mountain guys get plastered! Just might have to go snow chasing on Sat. I think down sloping will be a major problem for us in the upstate, and the best chance in SC will be around the Union, Gaffney, Rock Hill areas ( those usually fare the best). Just happy to be looking at some colder temps for a couple days!:)

If the band forms early, we will be in business ! I expect flurries atleast, with coating on grass a miracle! I just want to say I saw the earliest flakes on record here!

18z GFS really upped the ante from 12z... Hope it's sniffing out the deformation band, but as always, nowcasting will be the rule of the day. Not seeing the snow making it that far into SC.

I've always preferred relying more on thickness when it comes to snow falling. Given how the GFS looks it would not surprise me at all if CAE was able see some flakes. Obviously nothing major or even a dusting but that is some very cold air aloft and even at lower levels. All of this is dependent on so many things working together in tandem that it makes it no very likely....but again would not be shocked or surprised. 

I've always preferred relying more on thickness when it comes to snow falling. Given how the GFS looks it would not surprise me at all if CAE was able see some flakes. Obviously nothing major or even a dusting but that is some very cold air aloft and even at lower levels. All of this is dependent on so many things working together in tandem that it makes it no very likely....but again would not be shocked or surprised. 

For KCAE, I glanced over the BL temps and wasn't impressed per Euro.  The GFS has been overdoing the cold for many other areas so far this season from what I have looked at and heard.  Not quite sure what' up with that.

Now, with the above said, it is quite a system for this time of the year and although I really don't think KCAE will see much (if any) actual flakes, the graupel idea seems plausible as the ULL passes.

I'd think if the ULL goes to the South of KCAE and we get on the NW corner of it, we would have a chance to actually see some flakes but I'm not very confident in that idea.  ULLs are so hard to predict and pinpoint though.

Here is my final call map. This one should be fun for the mountains and I think some in the piedmont will see a trace! Looking forward to it!

Looks good to me! There is one other impact factor that hasn't really been discussed yet though, and that's the winds. If snow accumulates as forecast, what impact will 40-60 mph winds have on trees that haven't completely been defoliated yet?

I expect a number of power outages on Saturday across the region.

Looks good to me! There is one other impact factor that hasn't really been discussed yet though, and that's the winds. If snow accumulates as forecast, what impact will 40-60 mph winds have on trees that haven't completely been defoliated yet?

I expect a number of power outages on Saturday across the region.

Good to see you HT and thanks!  I am also worried about this.  The largest trees have yet to even change yet so this could turn into a mess up here!  I hope Duke/Progress is ready.

Archived