YESTERDAY BUT THESE UPWARD ADJUSTMENTS WERE MAINLY CONFINED TO THE
HIGHER MOUNTAIN ELEVATIONS. IN THE FAR NORTHEAST...THE SNOWFALL
AMOUNTS CURRENTLY FORECAST ARE AROUND AN INCH AND ONCE THE 12Z
GUIDANCE IS RECEIVED...WE WILL EVALUATE ANY NEED FOR WINTER
WEATHER PRODUCTS.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big questions for folks in GA/SC and anyone east of the foothills right now are the following: How cold can it stay/get at the SFC after 6AM? How much moisture will actually get wrung out so to speak with this low? How cold does the ULL actually end up being? All of these bring high bust potential...if you can call getting a dusting or a flizzard a "bust". I'll be thrilled to the core if we just see flakes flying around the air for longer than 5 minutes. 

Check out the Hi-RES NAM. AVL and surrounding areas fair well. Just eyeballing it 2-3 inches seems probable. 

NAM usually does a good job with Northwest Flow Snow events, so the output looks reasonable to me.  Throw in 20-25 knot winds starting just after midnight and continuing through the day...will certainly look and feel more like January!

Big questions for folks in GA/SC and anyone east of the foothills right now are the following: How cold can it stay/get at the SFC after 6AM? How much moisture will actually get wrung out so to speak with this low? How cold does the ULL actually end up being? All of these bring high bust potential...if you can call getting a dusting or a flizzard a "bust". I'll be thrilled to the core if we just see flakes flying around the air for longer than 5 minutes. 

hopefully just cold enough lol.  took the day off and just got up (which may be good since i may be up late/early sat.). last night for mby was looking cold and windy but less than 20% chance of anything (including liquid). now am up to 40% of rain/snow showers and up to half an inch lmao (believe it when i see it, after all we are still in october haha)

As luck would have it, I have to pass through at the time of the heavy band. Going from Greenville (which will get nothing due to downslopimg) to a car show at the Cabarrus Arena in my extremely unsafe slammed car on stretched tires. The one day I can't chase to the mountains....

Anyway, high res NAM looks pretty juicy, Burger you might be in the bulls eye for once!

As luck would have it, I have to pass through at the time of the heavy band. Going from Greenville (which will get nothing due to downslopimg) to a car show at the Cabarrus Arena in my extremely unsafe slammed car on stretched tires. The one day I can't chase to the mountains....

Anyway, high res NAM looks pretty juicy, Burger you might be in the bulls eye for once!

haha I was going to head there too in the evo but I feel like I need to check out the snow Awd lol

The temperature with Saturday’s storm system has been trending warmer in recent model runs, so wet snow flakes now looking a little less likely on Saturday across the Triad region down to Anson County. The image below shows surface temperature guidance for Greensboro, from the latest runs of a collection of weather models.
Still looks like a good chance for a frost or freeze Monday morning.

10626544_552318454869518_818791331339988

For those in the KCAE area, I am still not getting my hopes up for anything outside of a brief bout of graupel at the most.  This ULL means business though, and it will be cool (pun intended) to see pass through.  528-534 dm is pretty freaking nuts for Nov 1st in these parts.

Thanks kindly.  I'm guessing as JB noted earlier that this low track being even 20-50 miles too far East on the modeling could really catch areas like NY possibly and they want to make sure it's moving where it is forecast to as it develops.

Edit: On a side note, looks like we are about to see the cutoff up around Indiana soon on the Meso analysis.

I believe it was the one in Jan. We had a heavy snow warning and calls for 4-8 only to get nothing but a cold cold rain. 

Yeah, that one was a classic ULL screwjob for most of the board.  I remember it was heavy snow here in the Triad while Mt. Airy was still seeing rain (bizarre ULL stuff, ha).  It was one of those 3-4" snows which was very, very wet and knocked out power.  I think ratios were probably in the 5:1 area with surface temperatures in the 33-34F range.  That one was interesting as we had about two days of flooding rains prior to the changeover to snow.

Archived