• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Let's Start the Winter Off with a Bang

DaculaWeather

These earliest snow records being broken in SC are consistent with the lowest 500 mb hts on record so early in the season (back to 1948) in much of N/C GA and SC by a good margin. 500 hts record is being obliterated in the Augusta/Columbia to SAV/CHS corridor.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These earliest snow records being broken in SC are consistent with the lowest 500 mb hts on record so early in the season (back to 1948) in much of N/C GA and SC by a good margin. 500 hts record is being obliterated in the Augusta/Columbia to SAV/CHS corridor.

Larry, looks like KATL was under those 540's this morning. 

post-594-0-75182200-1414848965_thumb.jpg

Well, accumulations are all about the relationship between the snowfall rate and the melting rate.  I'm sure it snowed pretty hard this morning in parts of SC.  Rest assured, those in SC with snow on the ground would have had much more if the temps had been in the 30s or 40s for highs all week with lows in the 20's.  Having said this, it is laughable when some treat soil temps as the only factor in determining accumulations.

TW

That's the truth. Here are Ga's 2 inch soil temps and I'm sure SC is very similar. I mean it was just in the 80s to damn near 90 the other day.

t5.png

Old habits die hard as they say. Cold rain and the process of melting will cool top layer and there ya go. We hear it up here all the time and it fails.

Larry, looks like KATL was under those 540's this morning. 

Thanks, Steve. Officially the lowest may go as 542 dm for KATL (12Z today) based on 0Z/12Z records though even lower for your area (~540). How does it feel to be a part of met. history? ;) Prior to today, here were the lowest 500 mb hts in ATL so early in the season since 1948:

For KATL:

- 543 0Z 11/3/1966: T of SN/IP early afternoon

- 543 12Z 11/5/2010

- 546 0Z 11/5/1970

- 548 12Z 10/31/1993: T of SN early afternoon.

- 549 0Z 10/20/2011

Also, as stated, low 500 mb ht. records are being obliterated between 12Z today and 0Z tonight for the AGS/COLA/SAV/CHS corridor. So, all of these are essentially once in a lifetime records. 

Essentially, this is saying that this is the strongest 500 mb low this far south this early since at least 1948! How cool is that?!

**Edited

How 'bout this Larry, 540's over Savannah and Charleston?

Steve, thanks. Yeah, SAV/CHS record low 500 mb hts for so early in season since at least 1948 are being destroyed! So, we'll likely never see this again in our lifetimes. This is a very sig. event metwise and the record early snows in parts of SC are consistent.

Right! Once and a lifetime deal.

Just think areas around Lexington SC their average annual snowfall is 0.77". Its Nov 1 and they're already 400-500% (+/-) above normal. :lmao:

Good observation.  Just took a look at JB's free Saturday video (on the weatherbell site) and he's still very much into the moderate nino idea.

Climo says that although it is rare to get them as early as 11/1, getting flurries on 11/1 wouldn't be all that far-fetched in ATL as they've gotten flurries four times earlier than that. The last one was 10/31/1993. The other three were all before 1940. I don't have those three's exact dates at this time. I suppose any of the other three could have been IP instead of SN.

I didn't remember that about 93.  What a bookend winter that was.  Earliest snow, with three others, so at least 3rd. and the Bliz on the back end.  Sort of a record there too :)  Does climo suggest another blizzard in March??  Larry??  Larry?  Say yes Larry, lol.  I'm going with a one in four chance, unless there was another crowd pleaser in one of the 3 others.

I'm reading 47,48, and 49 as of 2pm.  And I'd count this event as great here too, if I can keep one of them under a high of 50 today.  There is something so right about working out in a stiff cold wind, and with a good fire going to start Nov,  Now a bonzo cad come Tday and my fall will be sweet!!  Three days of fog and drizzle would get me all atwitter, and double if it's cold cold too.  T

Just going to mention the local mets blew this big time. All 3 stations said maybe a flurry, but no chance of accums outside the mtns, or something of that kind. All the good discussion and model interpretations were all over this from 3-4 days out. Are local stations are just looking silly right now and everyone in the upstate and midlands that is not on this forum , had a giant surprise this morning, a trick, if you will, but a treat for me!

WIS said no accumulation, but there is 6" of snow in Gilbert.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Goodness, Atlanta hasn't had a 6" snow in over 30 years and SC manages to get that much snow on the first day of November. Is it possible that some areas in SC will end up having their biggest snowfall of the winter/fall on November 1st ?

Goodness, Atlanta hasn't had a 6" snow in over 30 years and SC manages to get that much snow on the first day of November. Is it possible that some areas in SC will end up having their biggest snowfall of the winter/fall on November 1st ?

Yes and likely ! Midlands SC picked up more snow on Nov 1st than Atlanta will see the entire winter!

Yes and likely ! Midlands SC picked up more snow on Nov 1st than Atlanta will see the entire winter!

Nah. If the Midlands of SC get this much snow on Nov 1, Atlanta shouldn't have any problem getting that much in the middle of winter. Right ? I expect Atlanta to get a 6-12" snowstorm in Jan or Feb.

Archived