• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Let's Start the Winter Off with a Bang

DaculaWeather

Cut off (1 contour) per new Meso analysis page @ 500 over Michigan & Northern Indiana.

Euro pretty strong with the ULL. 528 dm for even ATL and a lot of GA as a whole.  534 into CHS...

November 1st..

Fwiw, trace amounts of "frozen" through the midlands of SC.  I still think it'd be graupel.  Looking at surface temps in the mid 30s at lowest through this area.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The RAP is playing fast and loose with those omega values in NW SC at the end of its run.

2nv6nhe.gif

The RAP is really wet in general.  Looks like 1"+ QPF for most of the western Piedmont and foothills (but very little in the SW NC mountains).  I must assume the vast majority of that in the lowlands (if not all) is rain, though.

In any case, the long-range RAP is untrustworthy.

Fwiw, the Bufkit data is not impressive for KCAE for snow per say.  5F above freezing in the BL area... but it looked like the RAP wants to go bonkers with omega in future frames, not quite sure yet.  Icing was definitely with the moisture, so still looking like graupel around these parts if anything.

Also, from the latest KCAE discussion:

HAVE GONE WITH LIKELY POPS ON SATURDAY ACROSS THE NORTHERN  
MIDLANDS WITH A GRADUAL TAPER IN POPS SOUTHWARD THROUGH THE  
PERIOD. THE LOCAL TOP-DOWN PRECIP TOOL KEEPS THE CWA IN ALL RAIN  
THROUGH THE DAY. SIGNIFICANT COLD POOL ALOFT WITH THIS  
SYSTEM...AND THUS WITH SUCH COLD TEMPERATURES ALOFT...WOULD NOT  
BE SURPRISED TO SEE A FEW REPORTS OF FROZEN PRECIPITATION MIXED IN  
WITH THE LIGHT RAIN EARLY/MIDDAY SATURDAY. ALSO CAN NOT RULE OUT  
SHALLOW CONVECTION WITH THE STRENGTH OF THE LOW...WHICH COULD ALSO  
BRING SOME GRAUPLE TO THE AREA. NO ACCUMS...AND CONFIDENCE NOT  
HIGH. EXPECT RAIN TO BE THE MAIN PRECIPITATION TYPE THROUGH THE  
EVENT.  

GSP Update

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH SATURDAY/...AS OF 245 PM EDT...WATER VAPOR IMAGERY REVEALS A DEEPENINGCIRCULATION DIVING SWD FROM THE GREAT LAKES THIS AFTERNOON. THISH5 LOW CENTER WILL MOVE QUICKLY SWD THROUGH THE OH VALLEY AS ITDEEPENS FURTHER THIS EVENING AND THEN CROSSES THE EXTREME SRNAPPALACHIANS OVERNIGHT. THE CUTOFF LOW WILL BOTTOM OUT OVER THEUPPER SAVANNAH RIVER AREA BY DAYBREAK. DEEP LAYER QG FORCING WILLRAMP UP RAPIDLY LATE THIS AFTN AND EVENING AND THEN BECOME QUITEINTENSE FROM 06Z TO 12Z...ESPECIALLY OVER THE EASTERN TWO THIRDSOF THE CWFA. MEANWHILE...SNOW LEVELS WILL CRASH QUICKLY STARTINGIN THE SMOKIES THIS EVENING...WITH ZERO C 850 MB TEMPS WRAPPINGINTO THE FOOTHILLS OVERNIGHT AND ACROSS THE REGION BY MID MORNINGSAT. A STRONG 3 TO 5 PVU SATURATED EQUIVALENT GEOSTROPHICPOTENTIAL VORT LOBE WILL MOVE OVER THE SRN APPALACHIANS AND DOWNTHE SAVANNAH RIVER AREA AROUND 12Z SAT. COMBINED WITH STEEP 850 TO500 MB LAPSE RATES...A FEW THUNDERSTORMS CANNOT BE RULED OUT. INADDITION...WITH AN 850 MB LOW CENTER BOMBING OUT JUST S OFKCLT...THERE IS GROWING CONCERN FOR STRONG FRONTOGENESIS TO CREATEA SECONDARY MAXIMUM OF PRECIP OVER THE ERN UPSTATE AND CLT METROAREA. THE RATES THERE MAY BE ENOUGH FOR PRECIP TO CHANGE OVER TOSNOW AT TIMES DESPITE THE SFC WARM LAYER...UNDER BOTH THEDEFORMATION FORCING AND THE UPPER POT VOT. ALL TOLD...THE MTNWINTER STORM WARNING LOOKS WELL PLACED GIVEN THE ANTICIPATED QPFAND SNOW TO LIQUID RATIOS IN THE LOW TEENS. THE ONLY CHANGE WILLBE TO ADD GRAHAM CO. WILL ALSO POST A SNOW ADVISORY TIER FARTHERTO THE SE IN THE HIGH TERRAIN. THE FOOTHILLS AND PIEDMONT REMAINQUITE UNCERTAIN...AS SNOW COULD MIX IT AT TIMES. THE H5 LOW CENTERWILL TRANSITION OFF THE CAROLINA COAST QUICKLY THROUGH SATURDAYAFTN...BUT THE LOW LEVEL DEFORMATION FORCING WILL BE SLOWER TOEXIT.

GSP Update

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH SATURDAY/...A FEW THUNDERSTORMS CANNOT BE RULED OUT. INADDITION...WITH AN 850 MB LOW CENTER BOMBING OUT JUST S OFKCLT...THERE IS GROWING CONCERN FOR STRONG FRONTOGENESIS TO CREATEA SECONDARY MAXIMUM OF PRECIP OVER THE ERN UPSTATE AND CLT METROAREA. THE RATES THERE MAY BE ENOUGH FOR PRECIP TO CHANGE OVER TOSNOW AT TIMES DESPITE THE SFC WARM LAYER...UNDER BOTH THEDEFORMATION FORCING AND THE UPPER POT VOT.  THE H5 LOW CENTERWILL TRANSITION OFF THE CAROLINA COAST QUICKLY THROUGH SATURDAYAFTN...BUT THE LOW LEVEL DEFORMATION FORCING WILL BE SLOWER TOEXIT.

Verrrry interesting. Looks like they are leaning towards the NAM. 

12Z GFS concurs with 12Z NAM with 540 heights at ATL and an even more incredible ~538 at CHS. I'm willing to bet that at least the 538 at CHS won't be repeated this early again in all of our lifetimes. This is just insane!!

To support my claim that this is basically a once in a lifetime event (low heights for so early in the season), I looked at 500 mb maps back to 1948 for 10/15-11/5. I didn't feel the need to look at pre-10/15. A 540 at KATL and 538 at CHS during 10/15-11/5 has not occured even once back to 1948! The lowest for KATL has been the following: two at 543 (and these were in early Nov.) followed by 546 and 548. CHS' lowest has been well above 538...at least high 540's. So, this supports my bet that this low a 500 mb ht at CHS and probably even at ATL won't be repeated again on or before 11/1 in our lifetimes.

For KATL:

- 543 late on 11/2/1966: T of SN/IP early afternoon. It was only in the 30's that afternoon with overcast/windy conditions. The next AM low was 27.

- 543 early on 11/5/2010: no SN/IP. It was PC/windy in afternoon with ~50 F. The next AM low was 33.

- 546 late on 11/4/1970: no SN/IP. It was sunny and windy in the afternoon with only mid 40's. The next AM low was 33.

- 548 early on 10/31/1993: T of SN early afternoon. It was cloudy/windy and only ~40 during the afternoon. The next AM low was 30.

- 549 late on 10/19/2011: no SN/IP. It was cloudy/windy and ~50 during the afternoon. The next AM low was 44.

Not trying to wish cast but I would expect that deform band to be further NW probably around Shelby or so. 

I would too and not any further south than around Union,Chester,Lancaster in SC. I'm not saying that a small flizzard isn't possible around the CAE area, but I'm not holding my breath for it  ;) 

Quickly. I know NC State guys are chasing this storm around that area in additional to us four from UNCA. We're leaving soon, but we're still not sure about our target yet with Newfound Gap closing (rightfully so). We just need to find a good place that's not dangerous, especially with 12-18 inches forecast in couple of locations.

Clingmans Dome Road is already closed. Better get on the stick! :-)

Clingmans Dome Road is already closed. Better get on the stick! :-)

Sorry, I deleted that post quickly. Thought it was banter worthly, haha :)

We're thinking about hanging around somewhere between AVL and Boone now that Smokies/US 441 are shutting down at 8 pm (we asked on phone).

Archived