• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Let's Start the Winter Off with a Bang

DaculaWeather

Euro gives .25 to everyone in NC outside of a small blip near the VA border of .50. NAM continues to juice this thing giving pretty much everyone .50 with an inch of QPF from gso to CLT to Kings Mountain. Million Dollar question is how cold will it be for folks outside of the mountains. Giving the energy associated with it I think it's safe to say it over performs on QPF and it's closer to the NAM.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For us folks away from the mountains I surely would hope that no one is getting disappointed in the fact that it may not snow Saturday morning...

I have a feeling that by the time we get to next March, we will be laughing at the idea that some complained that they got missed in November.

Here's the 4k NAM comparison, the runs are current and from yesterday. Left images are current. Same thing from the GFS below this one. Also, 850 temps are really crashing on the backside of the ULL... that's COLD for this time of year. Wouldn't be surprised to see flurries in the northern Atlanta metro area. 

post-594-0-36821900-1414757477_thumb.jpg

post-594-0-97971900-1414757485_thumb.jpg

post-594-0-05346000-1414757495_thumb.jpg

Here's the 4k NAM comparison, the runs are current and from yesterday. Left images are current. Same thing from the GFS below this one. Also, 850 temps are really crashing on the backside of the ULL... that's COLD for this time of year. Wouldn't be surprised to see flurries in the northern Atlanta metro area.

nam_compare.jpg

gfs_compare.jpg

850_wrap_around.jpg

Agreed, the UL cold is directed perfectly toward Atlanta.

For once we have the strongest CAA pointed at GA.  I wouldn't be surprised if there is a flake or 2 around ATL.  And yes I am talking about snow.  hahaha  New forecast map coming soon.  @wxmanchris     *btw, I think someone sees 6-10" in the highest elevation, and don't think its Boone.

Climo says that although it is rare to get them as early as 11/1, getting flurries on 11/1 wouldn't be all that far-fetched in ATL as they've gotten flurries four times earlier than that. The last one was 10/31/1993. The other three were all before 1940. I don't have those three's exact dates at this time. I suppose any of the other three could have been IP instead of SN.

For once we have the strongest CAA pointed at GA. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a flake or 2 around ATL. And yes I am talking about snow. hahaha New forecast map coming soon. @wxmanchris *btw, I think someone sees 6-10" in the highest elevation, and don't think its Boone.

best spot will be the smokies.

Climo says that although it is rare, getting flurries on 11/1 wouldn't be all that far-fetched in ATL as they've gotten flurries four times earlier than that. The last one was 10/31/1993. The other three were all before 1940. I don't have those three's exact dates at this time. I suppose any of the other three could have been IP instead of SN.

That wouldn't surprise me either.  Maybe some sleet pellets in Metro, I would say thats possible.

Regarding the 500 mb heights being in the 540 area range from ATL to CHS per the 0Z Euro, I'm willing to bet that this would be the earliest occurrence of that in recorded history (say back to ~1948). The 10/31/1993 heights were only down to ~546 in ATL and ~558 at CHS for comparison.

540 heights or lower even in midwinter in ATL are not exactly common! I'm betting that ~546 is the lowest on record for ATL on 11/1 or earlier .

yes Larry, I don't remember a close to or sub 540m H5 look this early in the season.

btw, everyone, if interested....map number 2 is now going up on my twitter page.   Let me know what you think, and if you want to follow me...please do so.  Thanks!  edit...posted

@wxmanchris

Indeed has me excited. If the band is heavy enough a dusting can't be ruled out from about Shelby to CLT to CAE. Just amazing there is even a chance at that this early. 

yep, i'm headed up to chesterfield cty tomorrow morning to try to see some flakes.  i think it will surprise folks for sure, all about the timing and getting under the heavy precip bands under the low.  you look good in clt for sure.

Archived