Newest Member
    joxey
KA WINTER OUTLOOK

WEATHER53

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huh?

"I" means "ice" and lots of it. Get your generator! ;)

Seriously, I'm looking forward to the annual KA forecast, even if it isn't for the SE US, since I think KA has a pretty good record overall and a lot can usually be inferred from it. After all, DC is a lot closer than, say, New England and a good bit closer than even NYC. However, if it is warm, I'll ignore it. ;)

hard to believe you can have 01/02 in the same breath with 92/93 and 97/98

aside from 01/02 and 97/98 being 2 examples of how DC can go without snow during a winter, they were so different ENSO and precip-wise

Yeah, I'm a bit confused that 2 of the top analogs are the strongest Nino on record and the strongest Nina in the last 4-6 decades (at least).  

One of the things that kinda sucks about weak or warm neutral enso winters is that they tend to not be wet here very often and even though we associate warm enso to an active southern storm track, the anomalies tell a different story. The deep south, SE and MA were pretty dry during the winters of 79-80, 04-05, 06-07. Of course this is a small dataset and bad practice to draw conclusions on, but it's hard to ignore. I don't really see much evidence showing that weak nino's are favorable for AN precip through the deep south, SE and MA. 

This is a composite of warm neutral and weak events since 1950. 

post-2035-0-86157300-1411411184_thumb.jp

Taking the warm neutrals out looks even worse for the SE. 

I'm starting to think that hitting AN climo snow this year would be another fluke and that enso may not be as big a driver (in our area) of AN precip and/or snow as some people think (unless we pull off a 4th q comback to mod status). I still don't really know what to think about this winter. It's awfully muddy right now imo.  

We consider ENSO index prioritization something of a cart before the horse.  I can say that once we have the occurrent weather analogs in place, if we think it is, for example, going to be a moderate el nino then we would add some extra to the snow accumulations.  Too many people try and take, for example, a pending moderate el nino and make everthing fit into that box. We do not do that.

One of the things that kinda sucks about weak or warm neutral enso winters is that they tend to not be wet here very often and even though we associate warm enso to an active southern storm track, the anomalies tell a different story. The deep south, SE and MA were pretty dry during the winters of 79-80, 04-05, 06-07. Of course this is a small dataset and bad practice to draw conclusions on, but it's hard to ignore. I don't really see much evidence showing that weak nino's are favorable for AN precip through the deep south, SE and MA. 

attachicon.gifweakensoprecip.JPG

Taking the warm neutrals out looks even worse for the SE. 

I'm starting to think that hitting AN climo snow this year would be another fluke and that enso may not be as big a driver (in our area) of AN precip and/or snow as some people think (unless we pull off a 4th q comback to mod status). I still don't really know what to think about this winter. It's awfully muddy right now imo.  

Bob,

You can get a bigger sample by going back further... though, in doing so, you'd need to de-trend the data to remove background trending/oscillation (which is tricky, as there are multiple ways to do this).  I've done this in the manner that I've found to be most common.  By going back further and confining the analysis to ONLY weak El Nino events (not including neutral-warm, since there seems to be SOME increasing consensus that we'll be in a weak Nino for the winter), you do see a better (wetter) signal... albeit BARELY... it's still dry over the interior.  But the high population (I95ish) corridor is pushed closer to normal:

cd149.77.109.218.264.13.26.32.prcp.png

It's certainly not great at all... merely normal.  But it's a LITTLE better than the map you showed.  Besides just a larger sample, my main difference was excluding the neutral-warm years.  So, basically, getting into a Nino does help... though you are correct, it doesn't necessarily push you "above" that easily... just back towards normal (while neutral-warm seasons are below normal on precip).

Normal precip would yield above normal snowfall if the ENSO state can dominate temps (not sure it will, as there are plenty of other factors... but just sticking to your ENSO argument here), because those exact same winters had the following temperature anomalies (in the mean):

cd149.77.109.218.264.13.30.18.prcp.png

*NOTE:  I'm using the very long-term climo; this is necessary since I'm using analog seasons outside of the standard 30yr climo period.  If one doesn't use a similar climo period as the analog seasons they're analyzing, they may simply be plotting up the long-term trends or oscillations.

So, a weak El Nino = normal precip with below normal temps.  That wouldn't seem to be favorable for a blockbuster snowfall season, but it's certainly not bad.

attachicon.gifweakensoprecip.JPG

Taking the warm neutrals out looks even worse for the SE

Bob,

**Edit: While I was typing my post, I see millwx was posting something kind of similar.

Since you mentioned the SE: Weak Ninos interestingly have still averaged 130% of normal snowfall at ATL even though precip. has averaged a bit below average. (To be fair this has been helped mainly because of weak Nino's of the 1950's and further back.) Why? Because they have been so cold on average even though three of the 8 solidly cold ones since 1900 had relatively little wintry precip (solid cold usually needs +PDO and -NAO). In Atlanta, the overall cold (on avg.) has had much more impact than the slightly below normal precip. (on average) regarding average snowfall during weak El Nino's since snows are so much more infrequent there:

Weak Nino DJF temp.'s:

post-882-0-96553000-1411413800_thumb.png

Weak Nino DJF precip.:

post-882-0-65457800-1411413829_thumb.png

I think I omitted an important part of what I was trying to say. The MA lives and dies by storm track more than precip anomalies. We get about 12" of precip a winter and we consider ourselves lucky if just 2 of those inches fall as snow. But looking at those precip anomalies implies to me (and I hope I'm wrong) that the southern storm track is not nearly as prevalent during weak ninos. Pull a composite for mod ninos and it shows a very different story. That's more than what I was getting at. Weak nino's don't seem to correlate nearly as well to a southern storm track as mod ones. 

I looked at DC snowfall history for all of the years posted above and again, it's just not that encouraging at all. Only 1 winter (77-78) cracked 20" until you go all the way back to 39-40 (25"). 77-78 as saved by a big march so the DJF period only had 14". 1904 was the only blockbuster year and I find it hard to have any confidence in data that old. 

Persistence in the MA since 1940 has been to have crappy snowfall totals during weak nino events. It's hard to bet against that at this lead. Our winter here will likely be decided by the AO/NAO behavior moreso than enso imo. Maybe that will become more clear once we enter Nov. 

Archived