• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
KA WINTER OUTLOOK

WEATHER53

Keep in mind, I calculated it for SOND only. I wanted a lead signal for winter and wanted to capture a strengthening to peaking event. It is also a relative thing, too, where I am only comparing to other neutral/nino years.

I missed that you were only talking about SOND.   Seems like all the big years do have the divergence centered near the dateline during winter. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I missed that you were only talking about SOND.   Seems like all the big years do have the divergence centered near the dateline during winter. 

It might explain the snow extremes with the MEI analogs I listed too. A stronger WC *could* kill the Nino, favoring below normal snow; but, it may be a snowy signal with a full-scale Nino. This would allow more W PAC divergence and possibly centering it toward the Dateline come winter when the ITCZ shifts south. If the cell is already weakened in the autumn, it could favor a more east-based forcing in winter.

September isn't out yet on ESRL, but I plotted Aug...probably worthless at this stage but suggests a weakish WC, more like some of the early 90s analogs

zdj71x.jpg

Yeah August was significant east-based but I think September is going to look a lot more like 2009 than 1994. ESRL being down for maintenance is really a pain in the ass.

As an example, here is the CHI comparisons for 1994 (left) and 2009 (right) for Sep-Dec. Despite both being carelessly called "modoki," 1994's Walker Cell was extremely weakened (like many were in the 90s). 2009, on the other hand, was much stronger with plenty of W PAC lift (ultimately it progressed to Dateline in winter).

September isn't out yet on ESRL, but I plotted Aug...probably worthless at this stage but suggests a weakish WC, more like some of the early 90s analogs

zdj71x.jpg

Yeah August was significant east-based but I think September is going to look a lot more like 2009 than 1994. ESRL being down for maintenance is really a pain in the ass.

looks marginally stronger so far

post-66-0-92046900-1412183983_thumb.gif

The better longer-tem (since development in early spring) MEI progression analogs are extreme with results right now:

58-59: 4.9"

80-81: 4.5"

91-92: 6.6"

94-95: 10.1"

12-13: 3.1"

....OR....

57-58: 40.4"

02-03: 40.3"

09-10: 56.1"

The first group had many that started rapidly declining around this time of year. The new Aug/Sep number will be telling. 91-92 was of course Pinatubo-altered.

02/03 and 09/10 had decent OCT blocking with -AO; 10/57 had a +AO, but decently negative for the winter

58/59 had a +AO in 10/58, but decently -AO in DEC & JAN and +AO in FEB

except for 58/59 & 12/13, the crummy group had lousy blocking through the winter

12/13 was a cold neutral, so we toss

in my simplistic weenie mind, except for 58/59, we're on the road for a Group B type winter

BUT, 58/59 worries me because ENSO match looks pretty close to what the models are painting now (though it followed a mod/strong NINO, unlike this winter)

I say we just average 58/59 with 09/10 snowfall totals and call it a winter     lol

02/03 and 09/10 had decent OCT blocking with -AO; 10/57 had a +AO, but decently negative for the winter

except for 58/59 & 12/13, the crummy group had lousy blocking through the winter

in my simplistic weenie mind, except for 58/59, we're on the road for a Group B type winter

BUT, 58/59 worries me because ENSO match looks pretty close to what the models are painting now (though it followed a mod/strong NINO, unlike this winter)

I say we just average 58/59 with 09/10 snowfall totals and call it a winter     lol

58/59 was very cold, though. So at least it wouldn't be a warm and dry winter. :)

I don't know much about 58-59...I know it was a wretched snow winter for DC-NY...boston did ok....it was a huge March for interior new england...As HM said, MEI was plummeting...we were coming out of a strong ENSO event...pretty much the opposite direction of this year...there was no real southern stream....it was a really paltry hangover event.....the QBO was strong easterly and the sun was strong....but I am not sure it is a good analog or one I am worried about

58/59 was very cold, though. So at least it wouldn't be a warm and dry winter. :)

It wasn't that cold down here....the north/south gradient was significant I think..Dec was cold...But January/FEB were normal/warm...

Just on the face of it, 58-59 looks like a pretty solid upper air pattern in the means.  -AO/-NAO/-EPO/maybe a weak +PNA/ 50-50 low

attachicon.gifdjf5859.png

yeah, but not a standard nino configuration...there is no secondary low anomaly in the south/southeast...it was also a bone dry 6-8 month period...it basically sucked 

Cool, thanks.....I was just talking to CT Blizz and he is going to particularly focus on CCKW's this winter

LOL, I just meant that some of what you see was temporary, due to the passage of those features.  In reference to the 200mb divergence map you posted and commented on from 9/1-9/24.

yeah, but not a standard nino configuration...there is no secondary low anomaly in the south/southeast...it was also a bone dry 6-8 month period...it basically sucked 

With that weak ridging in the SE and the E-W oriented troughing over southern Canada, it looks like it would have been a gradient pattern, which makes sense based on the temp anomalies you mentioned.  Was it a better winter for PHL/NYC/BOS?

With that weak ridging in the SE and the E-W oriented troughing over southern Canada, it looks like it would have been a gradient pattern, which makes sense based on the temp anomalies you mentioned.  Was it a better winter for PHL/NYC/BOS?

Philly - 5", NYC - 13", BOS - 34"

March was the snowiest month for NYC & Boston, 50% of the season total at NYC & 40% of the season total at BOS

It was a gradient winter...but more like going from really sucky in the south to just mildly sucky in SNE (though the interior was pretty much normal in SNE...BOS a bit below)

The pattern wasn't bad though...I think it would probably produce better than what it did if we tried it again

Just on the face of it, 58-59 looks like a pretty solid upper air pattern in the means. -AO/-NAO/-EPO/maybe a weak +PNA/ 50-50 low

I always get nervous using the older analogs, for many reasons. Systematic responses to solar/tropical forcing were actually different in a lot of ways vs now.

Though 1958-59 has the wretched Sun to begin with, some of the SSTA correlations w/ that year are crazy close.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Temperatures:Above Average

Snowfall:Average

Rainfall:Above Average

Seasonal Temps:+1.3 to +1.7

Monthly: Dec:0 to +1

Jan:0

Feb:+4

Snowfall DCA:15"

Analog years:1974(5),1984(5), 1992(3)1997(8),2001(2)

Believes there will be a major ice storm around 1/15/15

Ok call for December, a "0" Jan is not that mild, perhaps he will end up with Dec and Feb flipped.

Just thought I'd look at the 500h anomalies for 2014 and compare them to the analogs offered by K Allen.   3 of the 5 analogs correctly showed a positive NAO but 2 had a negative NAO.  Those two had below normal heights and a negative PNA and positive EPO while 2014 had high heights over Ak and had a negative EPO more than a positive one yet most of the country still ended up averaging above normal for temps for Dec 2014.  None of the analogs gave us below normal temperatures so in that sense they were OK but their reasons for not being cold  varied a lot.   The patterns at 500 varied quite a bit from one another and from the Dec 2014 pattern. 

post-70-0-82074700-1420299380_thumb.png

I'll probably do the same thing for the Jan and Feb verifications. 

• 1 month later...

KA is back baby!

Average December call, excellent January call, horrible February call, failed overall seasonal temp , snowfall undetermined but looking good. So a C, A, F, F, B so far. 

Archived