joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Banter Thread

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Jeter's eliteness as a Sox fan.

One weird thing that has always bothered me was the catch diving into the stands he made in '04 against the sox.

People were making it seem like it was one of the great defensive plays of all time and I'm not so sure.  For a guy with his speed and range it was a great play, but a lot of players make that catch and don't even have to dive into the stands to do it.  I'd be willing to call it a great catch, but in no way would I call it memorable next to the truly outstanding plays of baseball history.

He caught it at head height and lost his balance people!

The strangest thing about that play was how come nobody else was anywhere near that ball.

I couldn't resist the urge to banter today.  Cheers!

Yeah nothing wrong with used which is what we were leaning towards. But, we ended up getting a good deal.

I've purchased new a couple of times but the past 10 or 15 years I've been buying used.  It never made any sense to me why I should buy a vehicle that looses a huge percentage of its value driving it off the lot.  I wouldn't buy a house that suddenly lost 10% of it's value when I signed the papers so why should I do that with anything else?

Good call though on the CR-V.  I had one for several years and it was really reliable.  It surprised me because I joked that it was a glorified golf cart powered by hamsters.

Congrats..and never, ever buy a used vehicle. Never have understood that

Why? There are tons of good deals on used vehicles, and many can still be under years/ mile warranty.

Most people can't afford to buy new all the time, and some used cars are just as good as brand new ones.

Its not bad buying new, but buying used isn't a bad idea either

I agree with Jeter's eliteness as a Sox fan.

One weird thing that has always bothered me was the catch diving into the stands he made in '04 against the sox.

People were making it seem like it was one of the great defensive plays of all time and I'm not so sure.  For a guy with his speed and range it was a great play, but a lot of players make that catch and don't even have to dive into the stands to do it.  I'd be willing to call it a great catch, but in no way would I call it memorable next to the truly outstanding plays of baseball history.

He caught it at head height and lost his balance people!

The strangest thing about that play was how come nobody else was anywhere near that ball.

I couldn't resist the urge to banter today.  Cheers!

THIS!  It was a great catch no doubt given the circumstances of the game but too this day I don't think he had to dive like he did into the stands.  

However, looking at it from an opposite perspective, the wall is barely knee level and going towards the wall at the speed he was going there was no way he could just stop himself...he probably felt it was probably safer to dive into the stands than drill his lower knees against the wall.  

There are cases where diving is the best way to stop momentum and avoid a risk of injury.  

THIS!  It was a great catch no doubt given the circumstances of the game but too this day I don't think he had to dive like he did into the stands.  

However, looking at it from an opposite perspective, the wall is barely knee level and going towards the wall at the speed he was going there was no way he could just stop himself...he probably felt it was probably safer to dive into the stands than drill his lower knees against the wall.  

There are cases where diving is the best way to stop momentum and avoid a risk of injury.  

As a Red Sox fan though you can't help but juxtapose images of his bloody face in the stands with images of Nomar's pouting face in the dugout that night.  Pretty much sealed the deal that he was getting shipped out of town... sine qua non...

In that respect, thanks Jeter!

Lol he is puzzling sometimes. He was updating his snow map every time he got on the air in march 2013, and still was low as it was happening.

This after calling for pretty much an all rain event

That was freaking glorious, amazing storm and all the better for seeing people everywhere who were expecting rain go "wtf."

Congrats..and never, ever buy a used vehicle. Never have understood that

Last new car for us was a 1983 Cavalier, which was a great vehicle (best 2WD of any car/truck I've driven without chains) but the unibody frame rusted out at just under 150K.  Since then we've bought 5 Subarus for the "family car" plus a Mazda pickup.  Only the 1999 Outback was less than satisfactory, though we drove it 130K before trading it for a 2011 Forester last year.  The Outback needed a full tranny rebuild six months after purchase, for $2,500, then seemed to have a bulls-eye for getting hit - by a pickup plowing snow, then a one-ton delivering tires in S+, then broadsided by a large buck for $1,900.  Had other four-figure repairs as well.  The three older Subarus (89, 91, 95) gave us nearly 350K in total with little more than maintenance items required, and the Forester has gone 20K in 14 months with no real issues.  The pickup is beginning to have cascading problems, but I've driven it nearly 145K so it owes me little. 

It's a water beetle of the family Belostomatidae. They're active predators and will bite if you annoy them.

That's the right family and accurate commentary, but the wrong order.  The giant water bug (up to 3" or longer) is a "true bug", order Hemiptera.  The triangle on the forward part of the abdomen is diagnostic for the order.  Beetles' order is Coleoptera.  [Remembered something from the entomology class, anyway...] 

As a Red Sox fan though you can't help but juxtapose images of his bloody face in the stands with images of Nomar's pouting face in the dugout that night. Pretty much sealed the deal that he was getting shipped out of town... sine qua non...

In that respect, thanks Jeter!

Oh no doubt.

That game pretty much ended Nomar's career in Boston. That was also probably the game in which the whole Nomar vs. Jeter debate was ended. It was no longer a debate after that.

2014 Honda CR-V. Turned it into a bidding war plus last day of the month. We were only going to get used thinking it would be cheaper, but we got a good deal with this.

Great choice. I've had a 2003 Honda Pilot since about 2007, and that thing is over 200,000 miles and still runs great (knock on wood). I'd get another Honda SUV in a heartbeat...pretty decent and easy to fix when stuff does happen, as opposed to like BWM and Volvo or some of those cars that every part seems really expensive.

Cars depreciate which makes buying less optimal than leasing..... Unless you drive a ton. You wanna buy stuff that appreciates and rent what dooesnt. But its not always white and black for folks...... Sometimes we rent a chitty apartment but drive around in a new benz. Does it make sense? No...but we look like we are worth more than we really are. Image ftw.

I don't want a permanent rental. I want it paid off and this was a good deal on a good car. It's my car and don't have to worry about some clown who beat the sh*t out of it and then turned it in at the end of the lease. Taunton blizz, buy at the end of the month and turn it into a bidding war. Make sure you get the out the door price. Get all the bullsh*t taxes fees etc out of the way and ask them what the best out the door price is that they can give you. Then have fun and pit everyone against each other.

Archived