Newest Member
    joxey
July 2014 Obs and Disco

Bob Chill

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You commute from York to Gaithersburg?  :axe:

Wtop runs a contest every year to determine the person with the worst commute. This year, a guy that works at DOJ in downtown DC won. He lives south of Richmond and it takes over 3 hours for home to get to work. Teleworking allows him to only commute twice a week.

I work in Suitland and have co workers that live in Warrenton and Charlottesville. The guy that lives in Charlottesville works a 4/10 schedule and teleworks twice a week. There's a van pool that picks up as far west as front royal and as far south as Richmond. Also quite a few that live on the eastern shore. Cost of living near the city has driven folks further and further away.

Wtop runs a contest every year to determine the person with the worst commute. This year, a guy that works at DOJ in downtown DC won. He lives south of Richmond and it takes over 3 hours for home to get to work. Teleworking allows him to only commute twice a week.

I work in Suitland and have co workers that live in Warrenton and Charlottesville. The guy that lives in Charlottesville works a 4/10 schedule and teleworks twice a week. There's a van pool that picks up as far west as front royal and as far south as Richmond. Also quite a few that live on the eastern shore. Cost of living near the city has driven folks further and further away.

Dude with that Richmond commute should just take the amtrak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so like last year, but without the big spread in accums between city/not city? Very doubtful based on climo. Even if it's a good winter, I'd expect a step back with 20-30% less snowfall. I think I ended up with 46.5" last year. With a 30% drop, I'd still be way above climo. 

I'm calling it now that this winter will be like 09-10

It seems like this month has been pretty nice, but I just checked the #s for the month to date and KOKV is just -0.4 F below for the month (both highs and lows).  We need a total -20F departure over the next 4 days to get a -1F for the month.  That should be doable.  Still, it's seemed like the weather has been nicer than that.  Just goes to show how easy it is to get heat here.  And we should even end up with more highs in the 70s this month than in the 90s (8).  That seems pretty remarkable.... and yet we still will barely finish below normal.

MN hit on it earlier....2010-2012 really messed with our heads with regards to 'normal' summer temps. 

It seems like this month has been pretty nice, but I just checked the #s for the month to date and KOKV is just -0.4 F below for the month (both highs and lows).  We need a total -20F departure over the next 4 days to get a -1F for the month.  That should be doable.  Still, it's seemed like the weather has been nicer than that.  Just goes to show how easy it is to get heat here.  And we should even end up with more highs in the 70s this month than in the 90s (8).  That seems pretty remarkable.... and yet we still we barely finish below normal.

so like last year, but without the big spread in accums between city/not city? Very doubtful based on climo. Even if it's a good winter, I'd expect a step back with 20-30% less snowfall. I think I ended up with 46.5" last year. With a 30% drop, I'd still be way above climo. 

Climo was the big word last year, and it sort of took a back seat.

Wasn't he touting how remarkable th CFSV2 map was a few days ago, saying summer was over?

I don't know, but I sure hope he's wrong now.  Accuwx seems to agree w/ him though.... at least through the first half of the month.  I assume that long-range forecast is pretty much the long range euro.  Again, though, that heat wasn't on their forecast yesterday.

I don't know, but I sure hope he's wrong now.  Accuwx seems to agree w/ him though.... at least through the first half of the month.  I assume that long-range forecast is pretty much the long range euro.  Again, though, that heat wasn't on their forecast yesterday.

Where did he say this? Didn't see anything on Twitter.

When's the last time everyone in our area had big surpluses of snowfall in consecutive years? Not saying it can't happen, but it's been awhile. Sure as hell not in my lifetime.

There is always the "Black Swan" waiting in the shadows...

Archived