joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 28-July 1 Severe Threat

Thundersnow12

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh man. Bells better start going off. 0z GFS very scary and impressive on Monday. Big time instability nearing 6000 j/kg by 21z along the IA/IL border in very extreme high theta-e air coupled with dews in the mid 70s....morning convection goes bye bye bye before a rapid build up of instability and then boom, explosive development along the front. But....this is the first run to show discrete development out ahead of everything in a very tornado prone environment (take sounding east of Clinton, IA) and with decent 2-4mb p-falls/3hr...sfc winds stay southerly to slightly backed over northern IL below 50-60kts of shear.

Oh man. Bells better start going off. 0z GFS very scary and impressive on Monday. Big time instability nearing 6000 j/kg by 21z along the IA/IL border in very extreme high theta-e air coupled with dews in the mid 70s....morning convection goes bye bye bye before a rapid build up of instability and then boom, explosive development along the front. But....this is the first run to show discrete development out ahead of everything in a very tornado prone environment (take sounding east of Clinton, IA) and with decent 2-4mb p-falls/3hr...sfc winds stay southerly to slightly backed over northern IL below 50-60kts of shear.

Meanwhile the NAM seems to keep stuff hanging around through the day which has an impact on instability.

If the day 2 outlook is conservative then I guess we'll know why.  GFS solution would warrant a day 2 moderate risk imo. 

Basing a forecast upon the NAM is setup to a huge failure. I expect at least a 30% hatched which should have came out yesterday.

6/18/10 seems to have solidified itself at the top of the CIPS analog list almost across the board.  Shows up on both the Great Plains and Mississippi Valley analogs tomorrow, and then for this area on Monday. 

Decent match overall but low level shear looks stronger this time.  6/18 wasn't much of a tornado producer (the day before certainly was though) and this one should have higher potential in that regard.

There's another analog that come to mind for this event.

It was a few years ago. The t'storms produced a massive light show a good 25-50+ miles away from the actual t'storms (once the sun set) and dumped several inches of rain from training across Flint/Saginaw. It was also in the wake of a massive heat wave.

I'm trying to see if I can find it. 

It was a few years ago. The t'storms produced a massive light show a good 50+ miles away from the actual t'storms and dumped several inches of rain from training across Flint/Saginaw. It was also in the wake of a massive heat wave.

Decent match overall but low level shear looks stronger this time.  6/18 wasn't much of a tornado producer (the day before certainly was though) and this one should have higher potential in that regard.

Agreed.  I'm just somewhat impressed on how it is a top analog on CIPS across two different regions for both tomorrow and Monday. 

It was a few years ago. The t'storms produced a massive light show a good 50+ miles away from the actual t'storms and dumped several inches of rain from training across Flint/Saginaw. It was also in the wake of a massive heat wave.

August 2nd, 2006.

Really not much has changed from last night regarding the setup for Monday.  Conditionally a huge setup with such strong shear (you could probably say extreme for late June) over strong instability.

At this point there's really no question as to whether there's going to be significant severe Monday.  The big question is will the tornado potential be fully realized relative to the significant looking tornadic forecast shear profiles/hodos we've seen the last several days from the GFS.  If the main instability axis is allowed to fully destabilize without morning clouds/precip then this is looking like a truly high-end event to me in both tornado and destructive straight-line wind potential.  If there happens to be lots of festering morning convection and associated cloud cover then we would likely see something evolve out of that into a high-end wind event further downstream with much less tornado potential. 

This has potential to be a significant mid-summer tornado setup over the central corn belt.  The combination of strong MLJ/LLJ/very strong summertime instability is pretty unusual. 

Both the GFS and NAM are pretty terrifying. Take El Reno or Coleridge and put them over Chicago metro during rush hour.

Hello everyone, longtime lurker on here, first time posting.

Don't have much to contribute to what's already been said, other than Monday's looking pretty fun per GFS projections. Hoping to get in on the action from around O'Hare here in Chicago.

Both the GFS and NAM are pretty terrifying. Take El Reno or Coleridge and put them over Chicago metro during rush hour.

I'm wondering if the timing there might be a bit later than that.  Either way, there's probably going to be a substantial discrete or embedded supercell tornado threat at least into the mid evening hours as CINH doesn't really look prohibitive at this point.

Archived