joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 28-July 1 Severe Threat

Thundersnow12

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still people in a neighborhood down the road with no power from last nites storms.  That would suck major balls!   All the homes around here have private wells, so no power=no running water (well pump)=no flushing toilet...  

Had some nasty looking clouds move south of here, but nothing more then some sprinkles.  

The lightning show last night was incredible.  

Uhh, something else I just realized that I think is extremely important when interpreting the NAM and GFS.  Yeah, they have these large convective signals, but, especially on the NAM, look at the low-level T/Td/wind fields.  They're not wiped out like we usually see with big convective complexes.  We saw this signature ahead of the April 28th outbreak in Alabama and thought the implication was for linear mode, when in reality it was clustered supercells.  This makes sense since supercells feature limited cold pool wake/extent and the atmosphere can recover quickly in the wake of supercell passage.  I wonder if a supercell cluster may be more likely for ern IA/nrn IL/srn WI/NW IN tomorrow evening.

Uhh, something else I just realized that I think is extremely important when interpreting the NAM and GFS.  Yeah, they have these large convective signals, but, especially on the NAM, look at the low-level T/Td/wind fields.  They're not wiped out like we usually see with big convective complexes.  We saw this signature ahead of the April 28th outbreak in Alabama and thought the implication was for linear mode, when in reality it was clustered supercells.  This makes sense since supercells feature limited cold pool wake/extent and the atmosphere can recover quickly in the wake of supercell passage.  I wonder if a supercell cluster may be more likely for ern IA/nrn IL/srn WI/NW IN tomorrow evening.

Great point, I was looking at this earlier and thought the same thing.

Seen pretty easily here at 21z tomorrow off the new NAM. 

No hype coming from any of the usual suspects. Obviously we're all over it, but how many folks are reading this board? Few hundred? If things come in as modeled tomorrow it's going to catch just about everyone by surprise.

I have family driving in from Colorado, coming in - surprise surprise - right around the time the storms are projected to come in. Should be pretty fun to deal with...

Check out the surface low that travels across Wisconsin later tomorrow.  Most models are advertising this to some extent but it's really noticeable on the NAM. 

I kinda figured this was going to pop up eventually given the very obvious perturbation of lower surface pressures the GFS/Euro have been consistently showing. That secondary low (if it develops) is only going to increase convergence ahead of any linear development and also lead to even stronger low level shear profiles/rapid low level moisture transport.

Well, I haven't pulled out the SREF significant tornado ingredients for a while. It is pretty high around Davenport to Fort Madison IA tomorrow (0z). It has a value of 60. That's at least a pretty good indicator of some severe weather (not always 100% correlated with tornado outbreaks). See 15z SREF.

I kinda figured this was going to pop up eventually given the very obvious perturbation of lower surface pressures the GFS/Euro have been consistently showing. That secondary low (if it develops) is only going to increase convergence ahead of any linear development and also lead to even stronger low level shear profiles/rapid low level moisture transport.

The RGEM has the mother of all secondary lows...deepens it 8 mb in 3 hours.   Not sure if there's some kind of feedback issue or what.

post-14-0-76296600-1404076597_thumb.gif

post-14-0-64680400-1404076606_thumb.gif

The RGEM has the mother of all secondary lows...deepens it 8 mb in 3 hours.   Not sure if there's some kind of feedback issue or what.

Appears to be some kind of error there, but damn.

I don't even think the primary lows with the 6/12/13 or 6/5/10 events were as deep as that 18z NAM secondary.

Appears to be some kind of error there, but damn.

I don't even think the primary lows with the 6/12/13 or 6/5/10 events were as deep as that 18z NAM secondary.

6/5/2010 eventually deepened to sub 1000 mb.  I think you're right about 2013.  Not that I buy it but that RGEM is nuts...989 mb in that location at the end of June is pretty much unheard of.

On another note, it appears the MCS overnight across KS has really put a damper on today's potential. I'm interested to see whether or not we even get any organized convection later this evening into tomorrow morning.

Noticed that as well. If there's little/no residual convection tomorrow morning, that will make the afternoon a pretty bad situation all around with what the models have been showing.

instability/shear is great in LOT's cwa but models are consistently advertising the best action west and then lifting north into S. WI

That is what I been noticing; I was figuring they would travel W to E. But it seems, like it will travel E and NE; swiping the Northern suburbs of Illinois. I am also surprised that the local media hasn't made a big deal about this situation; last night on WGN all they said was the worst we can get is downpours and maybe high winds.

I will definitely be watching tomorrow's potential right here at home.  I would not be shocked to see a strong tornado or two... Iowa City to Davenport down towards Keokuk area...  that is my best guess right now.  This looks to have significant potential depending on how tonights convection unfolds.  Best potential we've had in a couple years here at home I'd say. 

And we continue to raise the ceiling....

18z GFS in northeast/eastern IA at 21z

Helicity values over 1200, SBCAPE of 4200 j/kg, and EHI of nearly 29

attachicon.gifgfs holy.gif

Hi Bangladesh.

I've never seen a forecast sounding like that before any setup I can recall in the United States. That SRH is just so ridiculously high.

Archived