joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 28-July 1 Severe Threat

Thundersnow12

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will have to wait until the 26/0z model suite comes in.  But there is some hints on Sunday evening that a strong wind event will take hold over MN/Dakotas border area and transition over MSP  before midnight and might possibly effect some of the this subforum  on Monday.  I'm very hesitant to use the D word, but the possibility is not zero.  I'll give it a 20% chance of happening.

00z GFS continued the very favorable setup for Sunday to the west and Monday into Monday Night for our area. I would be interested to see if this remains consistent.

I'm driving to LaCrosse on Sunday and I'm hoping I don't miss out on a good day there and back home. GFS looked pretty solid but either way it beats watching these pulse storms this week

I'm driving to LaCrosse on Sunday and I'm hoping I don't miss out on a good day there and back home. GFS looked pretty solid but either way it beats watching these pulse storms this week

After having a pulse storm produce an 80-100mph microburst on me monday, i got no problem watching them too. Don't feel like going through that or the damage it caused any time soon.

DAY 4-8 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
0330 AM CDT THU JUN 26 2014

VALID 291200Z - 041200Z

...DISCUSSION...
MODELS ARE IN GENERAL AGREEMENT REGARDING THE EVOLUTION OF UPPER LOW
AS IT PROGRESSES SLOWLY ACROSS SRN SK INTO SRN MB EARLY NEXT WEEK.
STRONG MID-LEVEL SPEED MAX IS FORECAST TO EJECT ACROSS THE BLACK
HILLS REGION INTO THE UPPER MS VALLEY BY 30/00Z WITH BOTH THE
GFS/ECMWF DEPICTING 500MB SPEEDS APPROACHING 80KT BY MIDNIGHT OVER
MN. THIS FEATURE IS EXPECTED TO ENHANCE SHEAR FOR CONVECTION THAT
DEVELOPS ALONG BOUNDARY DRAPED FROM WRN MN INTO NERN NEBRASKA. WITH
SBCAPE LIKELY IN EXCESS OF 3000 J/KG AND DEEP LAYER SHEAR ON THE
ORDER OF 35KT...SUPERCELLS ARE THE MOST LIKELY STORM MODE. LARGE
HAIL...DAMAGING WINDS AND PERHAPS TORNADOES CAN BE EXPECTED IF THE
ABOVE SCENARIO EVOLVES AS EXPECTED. ORGANIZED SEVERE STORMS MAY
REDEVELOP DURING THE DAY5 PERIOD ACROSS THE CNTRL GREAT LAKES BUT
MORE UNCERTAINTY WILL PREVENT A 30 PERCENT DEPICTION AT THIS TIME.

..DARROW.. 06/26/2014

Gotta wonder if we get a derecho one of the days (Sun/Mon) with that jet juxtaposed with the moisture and instability being progged, especially Monday. 850s nearing 50kts.

Models have a 500 mb jet streak of 70-80 kts as well.  That is awfully impressive for the very end of June.

Gotta wonder if we get a derecho one of the days (Sun/Mon) with that jet juxtaposed with the moisture and instability being progged, especially Monday. 850s nearing 50kts.

Honestly I am thinking more tornadoes than a derecho at this point, although it could end up being both.

Btw here is a sounding for the "holy crap" bank, this is in Southern WI for Monday 21z:

12_GFS_105_42.91,-88.5_skewt_SB.gif

This is one of the more impressive soundings I have ever seen in this region.

You guys beat me to it.  The GFS forecast soundings for WI/IL on Monday rival some of those nutty soundings we saw out in the Plains earlier this month.

Yeah and every time those nutty soundings started popping up out there and they were not capped or weakly capped things ended up going in a big way.

given how wet is has been, i don't see any reason to view the moisture progs as overdone.

Yeah low 70 dew points look certain and with moisture pooling along boundaries you'd probably see some mid 70s dew points, so yeah I agree, these soundings aren't unreasonable.

RIP wisconsinwx

A little premature don't you think lol.  4 days is an eternity, but it looks like our best chance in awhile perhaps of something tornadic to pop.  It seems like several years since high shear has been progged, though I'm sure it's moreso the combination of high shear and steep lapse rates/high instability that has been rare.

A little premature don't you think lol.  4 days is an eternity, but it looks like our best chance in awhile perhaps of something tornadic to pop.  It seems like several years since high shear has been progged, though I'm sure it's moreso the combination of high shear and steep lapse rates/high instability that has been rare.

model agreement on a threat for your area on monday has been high and i don't see much in the days preceeding to screw it up

model agreement on a threat for your area on monday has been high and i don't see much in the days preceeding to screw it up

I agree it's not too early to talk about the threat, but your apocalyptic jargon is a bit premature when it's hard to be confident of anything approaching the specifics.

Relax. He was kidding around. 

But you can't deny what that sounding shows 

He still will, even if the sounding shows 7000 J/kg and 1000 m2/s2 SRH.

Honestly, this whole evolution really reminds me of the event back in late April with strong vorts rotating around a large/strong upper low and leading to secondary intensification of the LLJ. The 500 mb jet streak on Monday, as mentioned above, is reaching 80-90 kts, which is several deviations above normal for this time of year.

Archived