EASTWARD ACROSS THE AREA. STRONG DEEP-LAYER SHEAR IN THE PRESENCE OF  
MODERATE/STRONG MLCAPE WILL SUPPORT SUPERCELLS AS THE INITIAL STORM  
MODE WITH A RISK OF LARGE HAIL...POSSIBLY SIGNIFICANT...DAMAGING  
WINDS AND A FEW TORNADOES.
UPSCALE GROWTH IS LIKELY TO OCCUR WITHIN  
A FEW HOURS OF INITIATION...AND AN EASTWARD-MOVING CONVECTIVE  
COMPLEX WITH POTENTIALLY WIDESPREAD DAMAGING WINDS SHOULD MOVE  
ACROSS PORTIONS OF CENTRAL/SOUTHERN IOWA...NORTHERN MISSOURI AND  
INTO NORTHERN ILLINOIS/SOUTHERN WISCONSIN BY EVENING.  

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to see they added MI as well with a mention of multicell/supercell though I think they are light on the MLCAPE, I am thinking more in the 2500 J/kg MLCAPE where as they are going 1500 J/kg MLCAPE. With the higher CAPE that I expect and the strong shear in place I would lean more supercell vs multicell.

Good to see they added MI as well with a mention of multicell/supercell though I think they are light on the MLCAPE, I am thinking more in the 2500 J/kg MLCAPE where as they are going 1500 J/kg MLCAPE. With the higher CAPE that I expect and the strong shear in place I would lean more supercell vs multicell.

Disco mentioned 1500-2500

ADDITIONALLY...OTHER SVR TSTMS WILL BE POSSIBLE ALONG AND IN ADVANCE  OF THE FRONTAL BOUNDARY EXTENDING NORTHEAST ACROSS CENTRAL AND  NORTHERN WISCONSIN/LOWER MICHIGAN MONDAY AS MLCAPE OF 1500 TO 2500  J/KG DEVELOPS IN THE PRESENCE OF 35 TO 45 KTS OF DEEP SHEAR. 

Disco mentioned 1500-2500

ADDITIONALLY...OTHER SVR TSTMS WILL BE POSSIBLE ALONG AND IN ADVANCE  OF THE FRONTAL BOUNDARY EXTENDING NORTHEAST ACROSS CENTRAL AND  NORTHERN WISCONSIN/LOWER MICHIGAN MONDAY AS MLCAPE OF 1500 TO 2500  J/KG DEVELOPS IN THE PRESENCE OF 35 TO 45 KTS OF DEEP SHEAR. 

I guess I read it fast, that said I am leaning higher vs lower on that one anyways.

The 12z GGEM shows an interesting solution.

I'm not sure if you took a peek at it. 

6/5/2010 is another one.  There's a lot of examples over the years but storm mode is one of the tougher aspects to nail down.

yeah, i'm not making a rock solid call here or anything but given initiation in central/eastern IA, I have a hard time imagining things not congealing long before it makes it into LOT's CWA.  Eastern IA and NW IL are another story. I do like a severe MCS pushing into the city during the evening.

yeah, i'm not making a rock solid call here or anything but given initiation in central/eastern IA, I have a hard time imagining things not congealing long before it makes it into LOT's CWA.  Eastern IA and NW IL are another story. I do like a severe MCS pushing into the city during the evening.

I'd lean toward congealing as well but I think the embedded supercell tornado threat is higher than what you were suggesting.  The CAPE/shear parameters remain very favorable for tornadoes well into the evening so I'd have to think the threat won't just shut off so quickly.

I'd lean toward congealing as well but I think the embedded supercell tornado threat is higher than what you were suggesting.  The CAPE/shear parameters remain very favorable for tornadoes well into the evening so I'd have to think the threat won't just shut off so quickly.

fair

Yes they do, I believe the LOT CWA had like 5 tornadoes with the 8/4/08 derecho. 

6/5/2010 is another one. There's a lot of examples over the years but storm mode is one of the tougher aspects to nail down.

Yep, that's an excellent example. Agree with your thoughts that even if initial discrete development becomes linear that the threat for embedded supercell/mesovortex tornadoes is higher than usual given the progged low level shear profile.

Yes they do, I believe the LOT CWA had like 5 tornadoes with the 8/4/08 derecho. 

Yeah, including an EF2 well after things had gone linear.

Everything is a learning experience and tomorrow will be no different.  You have potential linear mode while parameters are very favorable for tornadoes.  It'll be interesting to see what "wins out" so to speak.

I'm having a real hard time thinking linear mode quickly tomorrow.  Yes the LLJ will be strong, but so will veering with height.  And if the NAM wind fields in the upper levels are more correct than the GFS, the ventilation aloft will be much higher than anyone really has expected.  This smells like a typical trap toward linear thinking and we've seen events in the past where the low-mid level flow has not really supported linear organization but yet everyone bit on the NAM/GFS QPF output and even some of the mid-range high-res runs and we all got burned.  I've seen 6/12/13 and 6/5/10 listed in this thread and those are fantastic examples.  I mean, maybe it goes linear fast, but boy oh boy I wouldn't put any money on it.  And if things don't go linear fast, it's very, very clear that one or more violent tornadoes is not only possible but really likely.

I'm having a real hard time thinking linear mode quickly tomorrow.  Yes the LLJ will be strong, but so will veering with height.  And if the NAM wind fields in the upper levels are more correct than the GFS, the ventilation aloft will be much higher than anyone really has expected.  This smells like a typical trap toward linear thinking and we've seen events in the past where the low-mid level flow has not really supported linear organization but yet everyone bit on the NAM/GFS QPF output and even some of the mid-range high-res runs and we all got burned.  I've seen 6/12/13 and 6/5/10 listed in this thread and those are fantastic examples.  I mean, maybe it goes linear fast, but boy oh boy I wouldn't put any money on it.  And if things don't go linear fast, it's very, very clear that one or more violent tornadoes is not only possible but really likely.

Couldn't have said it any better. Well done. 

Leaning towards Clinton to Cedar Rapids as a starting point. Don't want to get too far west at first and let something develop and come to you. 

Couldn't have said it any better. Well done. 

Leaning towards Clinton to Cedar Rapids as a starting point. Don't want to get too far west at first and let something develop and come to you. 

I might take a gamble and stay just E of the river.  Should still be plenty of daylight when storms get there and crossing back and forth with a monster at my back is not something I fancy.

I might take a gamble and stay just E of the river. Should still be plenty of daylight when storms get there and crossing back and forth with a monster at my back is not something I fancy.

Exactly. I was thinking Clinton yesterday for that reason but also don't want to miss the more discrete stuff to the west if it does congeal like some models say by the time it reaches IA.

Archived