• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
June 28-July 1 Severe Threat

Thundersnow12

And we continue to raise the ceiling....

18z GFS in northeast/eastern IA at 21z

Helicity values over 1200, SBCAPE of 4200 j/kg, and EHI of nearly 29

attachicon.gifgfs holy.gif

That is a mighty impressive progged sounding.  Yikes.  However, I am tempering my expectations a bit until tonight gets going and how that evolves.  But everyone needs to be paying attention to this potential.  This could be a significant outbreak if things come together just right. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the convection allowing models show sort of a linear look to the convection tomorrow afternoon/eve, but when you take a closer look you can see supercell looking features along the line. 

This is the 12z HRW-ARW for around 22z tomorrow.  Looks like a line with embedded sups.  Still think even this may be a bit too linear considering how much shear there is. 

qyiemg.jpg

I remember when I was a student volunteer at the NWS in the late 90s one late Spring day we had an impressive set up for severe weather coming together with some pretty high helicity values, but when the cumulus started towering they got torn apart.  The towers were tilted so much they never got real high in the sky... the atmosphere stayed a loaded gun and never went off.  Hopefully we don't see something like that...it is something that will also need to be watched.  One thing going against that is the temps and dew's to keep things nice and buoyant. 

If this latest trend of a strong secondary low forming in the region comes to fruition, the ceiling of this potential flies through the roof. I mean we are going to have an extraordinary response in the low and mid level wind fields with areas around 5000 J/kg SBCAPE.  

I remember when I was a student volunteer at the NWS in the late 90s one late Spring day we had an impressive set up for severe weather coming together with some pretty high helicity values, but when the cumulus started towering they got torn apart.  The towers were tilted so much they never got real high in the sky... the atmosphere stayed a loaded gun and never went off.  Hopefully we don't see something like that...it is something that will also need to be watched.  One thing going against that is the temps and dew's to keep things nice and buoyant. 

There is absolutely 0% chance of that happening if CAPE is 4200 J/kg.  Hell there's little chance of that if CAPE is 3000 J/kg.

Another thing to note with a strong secondary low the attendant shear associated with this low would help to maintain supercells and considering the wind fields associated with the low the atmosphere should remain buoyant well into the evening and potentially overnight.

What keeps worrying me as chasing will be the storm motions. Just have to hope you have a good view somewhere. 

I was thinking about that and it really brings into question how far west that you'd really want to get. I'm really not sure that I want to get west of the Mississippi unless that's the only play just because crossing back over could be such a challenge depending where you would end up.  I'll obviously work those details out in the morning, but things could be somewhat difficult in the E IA/NW IL area from a terrain standpoint. 

Seriously we're looking at one of the most potent thermodynamics and kinematics combinations likely ever modeled by a computer and we have a "hype" problem?  Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.  Yeah, there are questions about storm mode perhaps, but for pete's sake, come on.  Even the more "subdued" NAM has 0-3 km EHIs in the 8-10 range.  Seriously.

18z GFS actually has a small area of 850 mb winds of 70 kts tomorrow evening. 

I don't think anybody's really been hyping.  Nobody is calling for the worst outbreak ever or something along those lines.  Just in the abstract, when you have shear more along the lines of what you'd see in spring combined with summertime instability, it increases the chances of something bad happening.

Just curious, although I'm not an expert on this--how would tomorrow's severe threat compare to two derecho events that occured on this week in history in parts of this subforum: 7/4-5/80 and 6/29/98?  I would have been only 3 years old at that time, but I have heard that 7/4/80 dewpoints in parts of central Illinois before the storm were near (if not even over) 80 degrees.  6/29/98 is the one at the top of my head when I'm thinking of tomorrow's threat (not just the fact that it occurred 16 years ago today), considering the area at risk and the heat/unsettled weather which preceded that event.

I was wondering about if there's any model similarities between these two events and what might transpire tomorrow.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/AbtDerechos/casepages/jul4-51980page.htm

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/AbtDerechos/casepages/jun291998page.htm

Convection definitely picking up across IA now, got a tornado warning SE of Ft. Dodge. Currently fairly discrete, although we'll see if upscale growth occurs with strengthening low level winds into the later evening..

I can see the tornado-warned storm all the way from my house in central MN.

Archived