joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June Obs

mackerel_sky

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charlotte gets a severe thunderstorm warning like everyday. Wow gets in on all the action everyday.

Nothing today. Heading to Fernandina Beach tomorrow. It's probably going to rain like hell at the beach and ruin the trip and come home to hot and dry weather.

72 and dry!

I grew up in Gastonia., about 10 or so miles W of CLT. They literally would get massive storms all the time! I could see the towering cumulus and occasionally hear the thunder! They blow up right over the heart of downtown, I don't know what it is about that spot!

72 and dry!

I grew up in Gastonia., about 10 or so miles W of CLT. They literally would get massive storms all the time! I could see the towering cumulus and occasionally hear the thunder! They blow up right over the heart of downtown, I don't know what it is about that spot!

Don't forget about the 2004 winter storm that dumped 22" in rock hill and the surrounding areas.  I was in Clemson at the time and all we got was dusting.  That area just seems primed for big ticket events.  I'm sure it has something to do with the terrain and them being further away from the mountains.  Or maybe its the I-77 effect.  I'm very well aware of the I-85 effect and being south of it by a few miles has screwed us many times.  It's amazing the way interstates effect the weather. ;)

Don't forget about the 2004 winter storm that dumped 22" in rock hill and the surrounding areas.  I was in Clemson at the time and all we got was dusting.  That area just seems primed for big ticket events.  I'm sure it has something to do with the terrain and them being further away from the mountains.  Or maybe its the I-77 effect.  I'm very well aware of the I-85 effect and being south of it by a few miles has screwed us many times.  It's amazing the way interstates effect the weather. ;)

I know this is a little off-topic but I grew up here and I have seen the rain/snow line set up along the I-85 corridor many, many times. This would make a good micro-climate study for Summer weather as well as Winter.

I know this is a little off-topic but I grew up here and I have seen the rain/snow line set up along the I-85 corridor many, many times. This would make a good micro-climate study for Summer weather as well as Winter.

It wouldn't end up being much of a study. I'm willing to go out on a limb, and state unequivocally, that the rain/snow line set up in the same areas prior to the construction of interstate highways.

It wouldn't end up being much of a study. I'm willing to go out on a limb, and state unequivocally, that the rain/snow line set up in the same areas prior to the construction of interstate highways.

Yes, I agree. I wasn't implying that the building of a highway has changed the weather. I was just pointing out that the highways might follow an elevation line that has a big influence on micro-climate. It's probably the same in many places around the country especially near mountains ranges.

Spent Friday and Saturday in Doughton Park, along the Blue Ridge Parkway near the NC/VA line.  Absolutely gorgeous weather up there.  An elevation of 3700 feet does wonders for the temperature:  highs both days were in the low 70s, and the temp got down in the low 50s last night in the campground!  Awesome weather for mid-June.

Had the kids all bundled up in their sleeping bags inside the tent to stay warm, and they were wearing jackets and pants this morning sitting around the fire to shake off the morning chill.  What a slap in the face it was to open the car door in my driveway once we arrived back home in Hickory:  88 soupy degrees outside.  Ugh!

Doughton Park is a beautiful place to visit if you've never been there before.  It's really off the beaten path of where most people visit along the BRP.  They closed down the lodge (similar to the Pisgah Inn further south on the BRP) and restaurant several years ago, and most people don't bother stopping anymore.  Thus, it was my kind of campground:  100+ spots available in that campground, but no more than 10 were even being used last night.  Quiet and solitary and away from the crowds.  Several deer roamed through the campground and bears frequent the area too.  The rangers actually had a bear trap set up to try to capture a yearling that was becoming too curious about dumpsters.

Dry spell continues here in southern Cleveland County... 2" of rain since April 21, Yard is a nice shade of brown and the hot temperatures next week sure won't help that. It hurts to see thunderstorms fall apart to my west and redevelop as they head towards Gastonia and Charlotte. Even the upper part of my county (less than twenty mintues away) has received more rain in the past week than I have in a month and a half...

Dry spell continues here in southern Cleveland County... 2" of rain since April 21, Yard is a nice shade of brown and the hot temperatures next week sure won't help that. It hurts to see thunderstorms fall apart to my west and redevelop as they head towards Gastonia and Charlotte. Even the upper part of my county (less than twenty mintues away) has received more rain in the past week than I have in a month and a half...

Wow.  Mack put Gastonia, NC on the map.

Mack... What's annual average rainfall for Charlotte (and Gastonia - Tatoo Capital of NC) versus Greenville, SC and adjacent areas?

Spent Friday and Saturday in Doughton Park, along the Blue Ridge Parkway near the NC/VA line.  Absolutely gorgeous weather up there.  An elevation of 3700 feet does wonders for the temperature:  highs both days were in the low 70s, and the temp got down in the low 50s last night in the campground!  Awesome weather for mid-June.

Had the kids all bundled up in their sleeping bags inside the tent to stay warm, and they were wearing jackets and pants this morning sitting around the fire to shake off the morning chill.  What a slap in the face it was to open the car door in my driveway once we arrived back home in Hickory:  88 soupy degrees outside.  Ugh!

Doughton Park is a beautiful place to visit if you've never been there before.  It's really off the beaten path of where most people visit along the BRP.  They closed down the lodge (similar to the Pisgah Inn further south on the BRP) and restaurant several years ago, and most people don't bother stopping anymore.  Thus, it was my kind of campground:  100+ spots available in that campground, but no more than 10 were even being used last night.  Quiet and solitary and away from the crowds.  Several deer roamed through the campground and bears frequent the area too.  The rangers actually had a bear trap set up to try to capture a yearling that was becoming too curious about dumpsters.

Great area. Used to have picnics over there growing up.  Loved playing on those rocks.  Didn't know the Lodge restaurant closed.

Shows it well here.  This is rainfall compared to normal over last 2 months.  Dry areas through the foothills down into the upstate

xqjsc9.gif

Wow.  Mack put Gastonia, NC on the map.

Mack... What's annual average rainfall for Charlotte (and Gastonia - Tatoo Capital of NC) versus Greenville, SC and adjacent areas?

This may be a surprise, but average annual precip in inches using 1981-2010 averages - (http://www.erh.noaa.gov/gsp/climate/climatology/climatology.htm)

Greenville, SC: 47.16

Asheville, NC: 45.64

Charlotte, NC: 41.61

The Asheville precip averages have increased since 1970 - http://www.erh.noaa.gov/gsp/climate/AVLannualrainchart.htm

Shows it well here. This is rainfall compared to normal over last 2 months. Dry areas through the foothills down into the upstate

xqjsc9.gif

Apparently extreme wetness here with exceptional wetness down the road. We are currently ahead of last year, but last year saw 10+ additional inches during the last 2 weeks. We ended June 2013 with 17.15 inches. This June we are only at 4.67 inches and all that came from two storms.

Archived