joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane/Tropical Season 2014

NEG NAO

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if this can pull an Alex and strengthen as it continues to move off to the NE, it's actually starting to look really good on satellite despite landfall.

Water temps cool off very fast once past Hatteras. I'm pretty sure we're at max intensity. Extra tropical transition should start quickly once it's off the Outer Banks.

Water temps cool off very fast once past Hatteras. I'm pretty sure we're at max intensity. Extra tropical transition should start quickly once it's off the Outer Banks.

I agree it should start transitioning to an ET system as it heads NE but it's also accelerating and should pass over or near ACK as a minimal Hurricane and make a probable direct hit on NS as a strong ET system.

I'm very impressed with the media not talking about this that much. Seems like the government prohibited them to hyped this Hurricane.. because of its implications towards the economy in the east coast.

Yeah I think you're right.....Very rare that you see on radar a hurricane coming up the coast , to pass fairly close to us, and not much mention of it !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree it should start transitioning to an ET system as it heads NE but it's also accelerating and should pass over or near ACK as a minimal Hurricane and make a probable direct hit on NS as a strong ET system.

We should know all too well that ET transition doesn't automatically mean weakening. The trough interaction should keep it as a strong storm even if not tropical.

I am shocked how quiet the media is outside TWC about Arthur .......we saw the economy tank last winter (because it snowed and was cold) so I guess they didn't want to hamper spending/activities. And honestly outside of the Cape and maybe se/e mass E long island it's probably no big deal...except high surf and a breeze...and some hvy pockets of rain

I am shocked how quiet the media is outside TWC about Arthur .......we saw the economy tank last winter (because it snowed and was cold) so I guess they didn't want to hamper spending/activities. And honestly outside of the Cape and maybe se/e mass E long island it's probably no big deal...except high surf and a breeze...and some hvy pockets of rain

I wouldn't say they've been quiet about it. Its still been the top news story but they haven't hyped it either. 

Raining moderately here in Long Beach. The rain should only last a couple of hours though, as the rain is already backing out of southern NJ. Clearing should follow quickly behind it. I'm pretty sure we have a mostly clear sky for sunset at least for places outside of eastern Suffolk.

I believe it was the earliest recorded landfalling hurricane in NC which is pretty impressive

Yup. The Outer Banks seemed they dodged a bullet overall though with only minimal damage. The fact that it hit during low tide, was fast-moving, and a relatively small storm, all helped to lessen the impacts I'm sure.

I believe it was the earliest recorded landfalling hurricane in NC which is pretty impressive

Yeah, they were able to beat the early records of Bertha in 1996 and the July 1901 hurricane. 

It was pretty cool that this developed from a non-tropical low that moved off the SC coast.

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL

800 AM EDT FRI JUN 27 2014

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

A non-tropical area of low pressure over South Carolina is

expected to move offshore of the southeastern United States this

weekend. Some development of this system is possible while it

lingers off the southeastern coast of the United States early next

week.

* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent.

* Formation chance through 5 days...low...20 percen

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/E23.html

Guest Pamela

Some exceptional rainfall totals appear likely over the eastern half of Long Island today.

East end of LI is getting pounded with heavy rain. Some really impressive radar returns out there. Mind you this is also more significant than usual due to all the people who flock to the  Hamptons etc. for the holiday...At least tomorrow and Sunday will be beautiful. Perhaps many out there will just shift their holiday plans to tomorrow.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=OKX&product=NCR&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

Archived