• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane/Tropical Season 2014

NEG NAO

Very quickly if I may, as a resident in Brooklyn, NY, do I have to fear for any significant impacts from this hurricane, and is there the potential for power outages because of it?

Thanks!

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very quickly if I may, as a resident in Brooklyn, NY, do I have to fear for any significant impacts from this hurricane, and is there the potential for power outages because of it?

Thanks!

There'll be 1-2" of rain, we won't have much impact beyond that. We're on the west side of the storm (unlike Irene or Sandy) and it will be well southeast of here. The biggest threat is erosion from high surf.

The Gulf Stream runs up the east side of FL, GA, and SC. The water temps don't really drop off until you're north of Cape Hatteras.

Lol exactly. Once north of Hatteras it will likely weaken quickly unless it peels off to the NE which likely. I was referring to it holding strength if it swings west.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully, only the experienced surfers venture into the waters tomorrow with the rain keeping the other beach goers away.

Saturday will be tricky with improving weather bringing the crowds down to the beach and rip current risk high with waves

still potentially around 4-7 feet. So the lifeguards may have to limit access for swimmers with dangerous

conditions lingering.

Yeah unfortunately its a bad combination. Inexperienced swimmers flooding to the beaches combined with higher than normal waves and riptides means the lifeguards will have their hands full and we'll probably hear of several drownings 

I think Arthur will make it to a cat 2 before landfall. The eye looks like it's finally closed off and good convection is wrapping all the way around. There's also a decent possibility it really rakes the Outer Banks, particularly if it goes over Albemarle Sound at all. That'll be a very nasty surge and eyewall when it crosses over.

Dry air keeps trying to fight off intensification though and disrupt the eyewall- that's always a problem with these storms that hug too close to the coast. That will definitely put a cap on how much this can take off. Right now I think 100-105mph cat 2 over or just west of Cape Hatteras. If this was further out at sea, this could easily be rampaging up towards Cat 3 right now.

It does appear the last hour that it may be finally taking a more pronounced NE turn

Yes , it jogged NNE , Still concerned for the outer banks . The bad news is , its stay over the water for the next 12 plus hours prob gona see sustained winds over 100 plus in that area .

It's still going to scrape us with the bands but nothing major.

If we get the outer fringes of the system that's fine. I'm just happy we're not dealing with the strongest winds. I worked during Irene and Sandy and would definitely prefer not to go through the ordeal a third time.

If we get the outer fringes of the system that's fine. I'm just happy we're not dealing with the strongest winds. I worked during Irene and Sandy and would definitely prefer not to go through the ordeal a third time.

Even if it was much closer we are on the northwest side of the storm. Vulnerable low elevation south facing shores would have offshore winds and weaker winds for everyone would be the rule.

We should see some serious waves along the coast Friday night and Saturday morning. Big enough for wash overs at most beaches. A good analog is earl. There could even be some minor erosion issues out east

One thing that might keep wave heights down is that this is a small-sized storm not able to move as much water as a bigger sized hurricane like Bill.

One thing that might keep wave heights down is that this is a small-sized storm not able to move as much water as a bigger sized hurricane like Bill.

A voice of reason and sanity. Thanks J.

Washovers are probably not likely except for maybe EXTREMELY low lying areas and at high tide. This should be a weakening storm with a trough eating into it. Even if it were to ride the outermost W side of the cone it should be nothing more than a mild to weak TS by the time it gets up here. Right now unless I'm in Cape Cod should be nothing more than breezy with intermittent showers/TS's. And some nice surf!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Washovers are probably not likely except for maybe EXTREMELY low lying areas and at high tide. This should be a weakening storm with a trough eating into it. Even if it were to ride the outermost W side of the cone it should be nothing more than a mild to weak TS by the time it gets up here. Right now unless I'm in Cape Cod should be nothing more than breezy with intermittent showers/TS's. And some nice surf!

Sent from my iPhone

This won't weaken very fast due to the fact that it will become extratropical and begin interaction with the upper level trough, making it transition into a strong extratropical low.

Sent from my iPhone

Direct impact wise yes it will be minute here

Do not underestimate the beach impacts. I have been guarding at jones Beach for 16 years and a storm on this track will throw some serious swell into the area. As jm said it's not the largest storm so that's a limiting factor. As it starts to transition to extra trop it's wind field and thus fetch will increase allowing for more swell generation.

These longer period swells have a ton of surging power which allows them to wash over beaches. I'm not talking wash overs of whole islands just beach fronts.

Archived