• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
April 2014 discussion

Mikehobbyst

The 0z Euro has 70F+ up to CNJ, ahead of the cold front tomorrow. It's also weaker and faster with the frontal wave tomorrow night. About .25" - .50" rainfall for most. This is a trend with this wave on most of the models. Saturday has more sunshine with west winds, with upper 60s to near 70, away from the immediate coast.

On Sunday, the Euro has more SSE winds ahead of the warm front over Western NJ. With us being more under the influence of high pressure to the northeast. So many coastal locations will probably in 50s and 60s. While inland areas reach the 70s. On Monday, we'll be more under in the influence of the trough/cold front approaching from the west and winds turn more S-SSW. 70s should more widespread into NE NJ/NYC.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HPC is still highlighting NNJ for a slight risk of excessive rainfall tomorrow.

I understand the low FFG hence the flood risk but I can't understand where they are getting those amounts. I can't find one recent model even remotely in the ballpark of 1.19" liquid. The Euro has .25 for most of the area and the high resolution nam has about .4 in the wettest spots, only .57 in Northeast PA where the lift is maximized. 

This is a front that is washing out over the area while a weak disturbance rides along it...not a big rain producer unless the setup changes from what is currently modeled.

I understand the low FFG hence the flood risk but I can't understand where they are getting those amounts. I can't find one recent model even remotely in the ballpark of 1.19" liquid. The Euro has .25 for most of the area and the high resolution nam has about .4 in the wettest spots, only .57 in Northeast PA where the lift is maximized. 

This is a front that is washing out over the area while a weak disturbance rides along it...not a big rain producer unless the setup changes from what is currently modeled.

Agreed, all I can say is that the 06z 4k NAM had a marginally intense area of convection that crosses the area from about 21z Friday through 04z Saturday. It had a narrow patch of 0.75"+ right over the I-78 corridor and was quite a bit wetter than 00z.

Be careful with the 6z 84hr NAM. 0z Euro has SSE winds on Sunday, keeping coastal locations cooler. Euro also only has 850mb 8C temps Sunday.

It's just timing. 6 hours later at 8pm on Sunday, the 0z euro has south winds as well.

NAM switches to SSW winds 6 hours earlier. And that's the only difference:

0z Euro at 8pm:

qeD7Mn2.png

Even NYC will struggle to get out of the upper 60's on Sunday and Monday if the Euro SSE flow

both days verifies. The seabreeze  should really be crankin on Monday with winds gusting

over 30 mph along the South Shore and plenty of blowing sand off the beach.

Even NYC will struggle to get out of the upper 60's on Sunday and Monday if the Euro SSE flow

both days verifies. The Ambrose Jet should really be crankin on Monday with winds gusting

over 30 mph along the South Shore and plenty of blowing sand off the beach.

attachicon.gifScreen shot 2014-04-10 at 9.26.34 AM.png

attachicon.gifScreen shot 2014-04-10 at 9.27.04 AM.png

The wind also looks pretty strong, over 20mph for the immediate coastal areas. It could be quite a raw, windy day on Sunday and maybe Monday there.

The wind also looks pretty strong, over 20mph for the immediate coastal areas. It could be quite a raw, windy day on Sunday and maybe Monday there.

The winds should stay strong and pick up  right into Tuesday as the gradient tightens . The big

Newfoundland block should slow the front to a crawl with plenty of subtropical moisture streaming

north for heavy rain potential.

The Euro having the high anchored so far north Sunday into Monday will probably

mean that there will be enough of S or SSE wind component for the warmest temperatures

to remain over NJ with cooler readings near the coast.

attachicon.gifGZ_PN_096_0000.gif

attachicon.gifGZ_PN_120_0000.gif

yes - except within 10 miles of the ocean from monmouth county and points south - for instance could be 70 in Lakehurst and 55 in Pt. Pleasant Beach

75 at EWR and 52 at JFK. Mega ouch. All of Long Island and much of NYC looks to be in the low 60s at best on that map.

If anything, I think it might be in the 40s at the shore if the south winds are strong enough. The waters are still quite cold.

Jump on the  Belt  @ JFK , head  over the Verrazano and you jump 15 F

Beginning to think NYC could miss the elusive 70F yet again in this upcoming stretch. Southerlies at the surface progged right through Monday. Could be a recipe for 70-80F in interior NJ, 65-70F in NYC and coastal NJ, and 60F or cooler on LI.

Today will be a bust for highs for many coastal locations. Still in the upper 50s here at 1pm with a gusty south wind. Only 55F at Central park.

Looks like coastal areas may not be seeing 70's until we start seeing a more noticable jump in SST's. if theres any southerly-easterly fetch this time of year and with the current water temps it will substantially knock down any warm temps on the immediate coast while inland areas can be 10-15+ degrees higher

Wouldnt be shocked if during the weekend and into monday most areas on LI save for the north shore struggle to reach the 60's

Archived