12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
April 2014 discussion

Mikehobbyst

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beginning to think NYC could miss the elusive 70F yet again in this upcoming stretch. Southerlies at the surface progged right through Monday. Could be a recipe for 70-80F in interior NJ, 65-70F in NYC and coastal NJ, and 60F or cooler on LI.

Today will be a bust for highs for many coastal locations. Still in the upper 50s here at 1pm with a gusty south wind. Only 55F at Central park.

If there can be any westerly component to the wind, Central Park might make it to 70, but it will be tough if winds are southerly and definitely if from SSE.

I don't think anyone near the coast makes it above 55 this weekend, and it might be tough to make it much above 50 if winds are strong enough. The Euro seemed to have a particularly nasty stretch on Monday with 20+ mph onshore wind.

If there can be any westerly component to the wind, Central Park might make it to 70, but it will be tough if winds are southerly and definitely if from SSE.

I don't think anyone near the coast makes it above 55 this weekend, and it might be tough to make it much above 50 if winds are strong enough. The Euro seemed to have a particularly nasty stretch on Monday with 20+ mph onshore wind.

Agreed ill be working the entire weekend and will not matter either way if its cool or hot to be honest. Inland areas west of NYC will have some great weather east of there just a raw and windy spring day.

The 12z Euro today took a step back towards a rainier, less progressive solution for early next week by digging and amplifying the trough more Tuesday night, in fact it comes very close to closing off and cutting off like it was showing a few days ago.

Whether or not you want to believe it, it does show some significant accumulations of snow just inland.

The 12z Euro today took a step back towards a rainier, less progressive solution for early next week by digging and amplifying the trough more Tuesday night, in fact it comes very close to closing off and cutting off like it was showing a few days ago.

Whether or not you want to believe it, it does show some significant accumulations of snow just inland.

It would be cool to see if we can get enough of a frontal wave  for at least parts of the area to see snowflakes in the

air on April 16th. You would think that interior locations would have the best chance of going frozen before

the precip cuts off. But the 12z Euro lingers the precip long enough for a trace down to the coast.

It will be cold enough if the precip can linger into the early morning hours. The key will be getting 

a strong enough frontal wave like the Euro is showing. Otherwise, the precip will most likely

cut off before it gets cold enough for at least a trace around NYC. I think that the last time we

saw  a trace from 4-16 on was 1992 and 1983.

It would be cool to see if we can get enough of a frontal wave  for at least parts of the area to see snowflakes in the

air on April 16th. You would think that interior locations would have the best chance of going frozen before

the precip cuts off. But the 12z Euro lingers the precip long enough for a trace down to the coast.

It will be cold enough if the precip can linger into the early morning hours. The key will be getting 

a strong enough frontal wave like the Euro is showing. Otherwise, the precip will most likely

cut off before it gets cold enough for at least a trace around NYC. I think that the last time we

attachicon.gifD6.gif

I'm interested to see if we can have a widespread freeze out of this. A lot of plants are starting to grow now, so a freeze could be damaging.

I'm interested to see if we can have a widespread freeze out of this. A lot of plants are starting to grow now, so a freeze could be damaging.

Yeah, both the Euro and GFS 2m temps approach freezing in NYC. Even if we stay 33-35 it would be one of the 

coldest days so late in the season in over a decade. JFK made it to 34 on 4-19-01. 

The HRRR has newark getting to 80 degrees this afternoon.

temp13.gif

You can see the negative effects of the seabreeze influence as well. Where i am in SW suffolk its 50's and in NYC its in the 70's. really impressive difference there, be interesting later on in the afternoon how the squall line may develop and if it can hold its potency all the way to coastal locals as well john

Central Park had a trace on 4/18/1997.

You can see the negative effects of the seabreeze influence as well. Where i am in SW suffolk its 50's and in NYC its in the 70's. really impressive difference there, be interesting later on in the afternoon how the squall line may develop and if it can hold its potency all the way to coastal locals as well john

The clouds currently streaming from southwest to northeast better move out of the picture fast if anybody wants to come remotely close to what the short term models are advertising. 

The clouds currently streaming from southwest to northeast better move out of the picture fast if anybody wants to come remotely close to what the short term models are advertising. 

The 06z 4k NAM has quite the hefty squall line crossing the area tonight, what about the other short term high res models?

The 06z 4k NAM has quite the hefty squall line crossing the area tonight, what about the other short term high res models?

If you're talking about thunderstorm potential I think it is fairly limited, but there could be a line of heavy rain which shifts eastward.

I'm talking about temperatures in that previous post...the mid 70's aren't happening unless the clouds start breaking. 

I think NYC's best shot at 70 degrees is either today or tomorrow (and that's not a lock). 00z ECMWF indicates a fairly strong southerly wind both Sunday and Monday for NYC eastward and coastal NJ. Even with warm 850's, I can't see > 70F for those locations.

00z ECMWF 10m winds valid 18z Sunday.

Note the SLY winds, almost SSE from NYC/coastal NJ eastward.

2ekoygp.png

Even stronger SLY wind on Monday:

29fyr6u.png

Archived