joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 26th Snowstorm - continued discussion and observations

wxsniss

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Little bump east....takes western Cape out of the big snows. (like >6")....still hits outer Cape and ACK good.

Writing is on the wall west of about mid-cape...well from somewhere between exit 4 and about exit 7....west of there  NBD with amounts rapidly dropping off to just a coating to a few inches.

For MBY I'd guess 1" or maybe 2", but could also see just a coating.

Writing is on the wall west of about mid-cape...well from somewhere between exit 4 and about exit 7....west of there  NBD with amounts rapidly dropping off to just a coating to a few inches.

For MBY I'd guess 1" or maybe 2", but could also see just a coating.

I don't think this storm will be going from like 6" to a coating a short distance...more like 8" to 3"...it does look like most along and SE of 95 will see 1-3".

You are prob too pessimistic for YBY too.

I don't think this storm will be going from like 6" to a coating a short distance...more like 8" to 3"...it does look like most along and SE of 95 will see 1-3".

You are prob too pessimistic for YBY too.

Based on current models I'm definitely too pessimistic.  I just see this thing continuing to pedal east right up to the end and the cutoff between real snows and falling snows being over the mid cape somewhere.  Everything came together about right, just a smidge weaker aloft delays everything and keeps it 5 or 10mb weaker than earlier forecasts....less wrap up, more flizzard.

Stranger things have happened and at some point we need to end up on the positive side of a mini-bust to balance everything out.

Euro does have a large area of 1-2" to the west...not to dissimilar to some of the GEM model outputs. We'll have to see if that materializes. Even like HFD might get an inch if that verified.

So let's say 2-4" with lollies to 5" and go from there.

Hey, somebody has to fill the role.

If the pressures verify as modeled, and this had tracked 100 miles further west, this would have been a storm that rivaled no others for you fine folks in SNE. Would loved to have seen reports from under a CCB associated with a 955mb lp. Sorry about your close call!

Edge of glory!

I think it's showing some signs of breaking east even further, but it may get interesting up in downeast maine later as it hooks more.

If the pressures verify as modeled, and this had tracked 100 miles further west, this would have been a storm that rivaled no others for you fine folks in SNE. Would loved to have seen reports from under a CCB associated with a 955mb lp. Sorry about your close call!

It might not have strengthened as much had it been closer to the coast, not really sure.

It might not have strengthened as much had it been closer to the coast, not really sure.

A potentially valid point...not sure how much percent of the strength is associated with the gulf stream, but the upper and mid-level dynamics are pretty wicked. I'd assume that a tight baroclinic zone (closer to the coast) would support nearly as strong lp given the same UL dynamics.

As much as we hope for extreme weather, its very much a blessing for us in New England (especially SNE) that this storm didn't verify 100 miles west.  This would have been a crushing storm, causing a lot of coastal flood damage and massive power outages and tree damage if it hit us.  Instead, we can still observe in awe at the power of this storm, yet, be grateful we will not be experiencing the brunt of it, except for the poor folks up in Nova Scotia where it looks like they will be taking a direct hit.  This progressive weather pattern just didn't line up the big storms for us, just a lot of cold and moderately snowy storms.

The GFS is still very bullish on the wind field for this storm.  It's going to be NASTY on Wednesday in SNE...

Enough with the woe is me. Can we just track the storm?

There's not much to track TBH at this point.  The first low has really fired up offshore, we're just starting to see pressures fall off the Delmarva and the first finger of moisture is developing OFFshore of the Delmarva, IMO that's a strong signal for later. IE, spike it.

http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/satellite/displaySat.php?region=US&itype=wv&size=large&endDate=20140325&endTime=-1&duration=4

There's not much to track TBH at this point.  The first low has really fired up offshore, we're just starting to see pressures fall off the Delmarva and the first finger of moisture is developing OFFshore of the Delmarva, IMO that's a strong signal for later. IE, spike it.

http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/satellite/displaySat.php?region=US&itype=wv&size=large&endDate=20140325&endTime=-1&duration=4

There is a bomb about to drop with 70mph wind gusts on the cape, It's better than nothing

I'm as guilty as any to a meltdown but it's been over for awhile

Yeah but IMO it's WAAY offshore.  I think it's further east than the heavier hitters modeled.  In the end even the Cape may be watching the heaviest returns well east and left with the consolation OE.

I put the chances of me breaking 4" at about 10% at this point.

Archived