Newest Member
    joxey
Snow Bro Banter Thread

ennepe68

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol @ snow bros.

Pretty sure that's a copyright infringement or something.

sb1.png

Anyway, how much for Cockeysville?

Hmm, I'm not sure if we have to worry too much about the copyright infringement; Toaplan Co., should just be happy SnowBrows are being talked about now!

By the way, I'm glad you guys created this thread. I only just discovered it today, after lurking on the main board to see the situation for next week. Thanks CWG-SnowBros!

Really? You think it's a good bet that we'll have a storm? That makes me all warm and fuzzy inside! :)

You should change your username. You're hardly a lurker anymore!

Seems like some chill people hanging around in here. I like the kicked back environment. Makes a lurker want to come out and talk with other snowbros.

Looks like some model drama may be starting. Should get interesting around here this weekend.

So, I thought I'd shake things up some , and do a bit of a poll. I'd love everyone to answer, but it would be especially great to hear from the people who have been around this joint the longest.

1. How long have you been interested in the weather/meteorology?

2. How did you get interested?

3. What is your level of expertise? Do you have any education or training? Are you a professional?

4. What are your favorite types of weather?

5. What were your two favorite weather events in your lifetime?

I will kick us off.

1. I have been fascinated by the weather since I was a little kid, and would always get really excited about all of the different ways it presented, but I didn't really start getting in to the intricacies of it until 2007 or so.

2. I probably got interested initially after getting home from a trip to Disney World in elementary school and discovering that the world was COVERED in ice. I could ice skate on my driveway. I went "this is so weird and interesting, I didn't know that the world could do this". 

3.Minimal expertise. I took an oceanography class in college, which focused a good deal on climate and weather, but most of that was summer weather patterns. Thus, most of what I know deals with summer storms, especially hurricanes. I'm pretty new to the science of winter storms, and most of my knowledge comes from reading every single CWG article and all of the comments, and reading every article I can find online.

4. I love snow, obviously. And I love great big crazy summer thunderstorms. And I love extreme, out of the norm weather events; things that are just really impressive and intense, things that are super rare, and things that may be common in other places but are really rare for this region. 

5. Snowpocalypse and the Derecho. That ice storm coming in third. 

Look forward to hearing other responses!

I'll stab:

3. What is your level of expertise? Do you have any education or training? Are you a professional?

-----------------------------------------

1. Since a kid, around age 5 or 6, just loved the weather.

2. I can't point to once particular event but I loved watching the seasons change while I lived in Boston. Though, It's really when I lived in Phoenix, Arizona that my love for weather grew. My favorite thing in the world as a kid was watching monsoonal thunderstorms grow in the afternoon and then having it just pour on the desert and also dust storm. I have a special place in my heart for dust storms.

3. I'd say I'm a fairly medium/high-ish level amateur forecaster (I do not have a college degree in Meteorology). I would say years (not a lot of years) of experience at this point, and formal training from meteorologists at the college I attend. I worked as a "campus weather service" forecaster for 3 years and then was hired by the weather center for PennDOT. Forecasting, as any meteorologist will tell you, is always a learning process. That's why I joined the WxChallenge and I've done for the most part above the average against the average collegiate meteorology forecaster.

4. Convection, I love convection. Thunderstorms, Hurricanes or elevated instability in winter storms, all covection is good.

5. The whole Chasecation that Ian and Mark (ellinwood) that we did out in the plains last year was just epic, can't get any better than that. Otherwise, The Feb 5-6 and 9-10 storms followed by Hurricane Isabel.

Final Note of #3:

- I don't pretend  to be a meteorologist, and nobody should, unless you are one. I love forecasting, but I will always have the highest regard for college degreed meteorologists. Most of all my friends at school are completing a meteorology degree and I just have the utmost respect for them. I think it's a shame and a sham that the recent trend of "Facebook forecasters" are up staging true meteorologists.-

Why not...

1) I've been interested in weather for as long as I can remember. It's fascinating, exciting, etc. 

2) I'm not sure there's one particular event that got me hooked, but as a kid I was always ridiculously excited at the prospects of a snow storm and summer T-storms were great. We had a covered porch, so I'd hang out there and watch 'em do their thing. 

3) Eh, I won't rate myself. I know my share, but am still a novice and don't particularly take it very seriously on the board. Started out in the met program at PSU, but drifted over to geog as so many do. What can I say, math got the best of me. Had a fairly healthy concentration of climate/weather classes while there and learned a great deal from some awesome profs....especially on the climate side of the house.....Eric Barron, Bill Easterling, etc. Walker Building is a happenin' place. 

4) Big snow. There's nothing better. Blizzard of '96 is still the most impressive weather event I've experienced. 3 feet of snow (Southern PA) and massive drifts that required Penn DOT to pull out their massive V plows. Just an awesome, awesome event. 

5) Welp, already answered one of those in the previous question. My second favorite would be the big February blizzard of 2010. 

-----------------------------------------

1. I grew up in the tropics so when I first saw snow when I moved to the area. I was 16. It was soo cold (32 HAH!) but the snow was soo cool!

2. I found the science that drives the weather to be intriguing, analytical without being boring. Chaos, baby!

3. Just an amateur who learned everything by listening and reading. I can hold my own in here although others are much better at the communicating aspect. I am learning all the time. So if I were to pick a level, I would say middle of the road. No formal education but I am a knowledgeable perpetual student.

4. Snow and severe although a nice steady summer rain is refreshing.

5. Only 2? Oh well then, Blizzard of 79 and blizzard of 96. And Hurricane David and Hurricane Isabel and the Derecho and the winter of 09-10. Okay! I couldn't help myself. :whistle:

It's great to hear from all of you! I know Alainn Focail wasn't really talking about me, but here's my story. I got interested when my mom turned on the Weather Channel for the first time when I was 3. I was perplexed by the colorful temperature maps and radar! When I discovered CWG 5 years ago in 2009-2010, I found that there were other people as crazy as I was, and I started to actually learn about how the weather happens. That's how I became a snow bro.

1. Always been fascinated by weather, no idea why.

2. Grew up near Westminster. Likes to snow there. Hills. Sledding. Snowball fights. Forts. Weather=fun

3. I am an enthusiast/hobbyist. As I got older and became interested in engineering, I started exploring the physics of meteorology more. In college I took some courses in Physical Geography and Earth Science.

4. Snowstorms and tornadoes. But I enjoy all weather and like having 4 seasons.

5. Blizzard of 79 and the front that produced thundersnow and 3-4 inches in an hour when I lived in Carroll County. Never seen anything like that before or since.

1. Always been fascinated by weather, no idea why.

2. Grew up near Westminster. Likes to snow there. Hills. Sledding. Snowball fights. Forts. Weather=fun

3. I am an enthusiast/hobbyist. As I got older and became interested in engineering, I started exploring the physics of meteorology more. In college I took some courses in Physical Geography and Earth Science.

4. Snowstorms and tornadoes. But I enjoy all weather and like having 4 seasons.

5. Blizzard of 79 and the front that produced thundersnow and 3-4 inches in an hour when I lived in Carroll County. Never seen anything like that before or since.

Do you remember what year the front occurred? I can remember some pretty impressive squalls in 85 and 87.

As long as I can remember.

Probably an El Nino winter, or winter in general -- lived in southern California as a kid so that was pretty much the only time we got weather.  Though we lived in the high desert so we'd always get t-storms popping mainly over the mountain ranges to our southeast in the summer... they rarely made it to me which was a bummer. Snow was probably my first real love as we lived at like 3,000 feet but at the base of hills that went up to about 5,000 feet. Every winter I'd watch the snow line .. sometimes we got lucky and picked up a few inches.  My parents also owned a condo in Mammoth Lakes so we spent a lot of time up there in winter.  Getting 10 feet of snow in a week can be fun. Interest really blossomed moving to Texas with boomers, and then CT with nor'easters etc.

Advanced n00b. No formal education or training.. just lots of model watching and reading the forums etc. 

Thunderstorms, snow, training downpours, 100 degree days. If I had to go without everything but one type I'd need thunderstorms, preferably supercells. Drool:

8979346899_1aa99fed41_b.jpg

Any Plains chase with structure or a tornado or both. If I could group Feb 5-6 and 9-10 that would for sure be one. It almost felt like one. There were some days in the Sierra where it would dump like 3-4"/hr for a few hours but I can't remember the dates specifically. The derecho was cool because I forecast the idea of it quite well... but it wrecked me so not sure it could make the list. I think that's more than two.

1. In the womb

2.I had always loved snow but the epic winter of '09-10 combined with commutaggedon were a 1 2 punch I couldn't resist.

3. This is relative so I guess a beginner  by Americanwx standards and Intermediate by CWG comment section standards. No degrees or formal training of course.

4. All of the weathers is my favorites, but I would rank them 1.snow 2.severe 3.hurricanes (would be higher maybe if I experienced a real one) 4.extreme cold 5.ice

5. The February Blizzards of '09-10 by far. The Derecho was really cool too.

Archived