CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Do We have one More in Us?

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plenty of time? The storm will be forming and beginning to come north in like 60 hours. That is not plenty of time, this one is close to over for a big powerful storm to affect land.

0z gfs was significantly better than the 18z. Still plenty of time left for a 100-150 mile shift nw. Despite the talk of 10+ down here and probabilities of blizzard conditions mixing is still a legitimate concern.

Goal posts may be narrowing but so far not much. Ggem may be destined to go a big seaward from earlier runs

Folks keep carrying on about how we "have no clue at this range".....guess what, sometimes we do. The models have been pinned on a scraper for days.

yea its been a scraper for days now. but still doesnt mean slight shifts cant happen inside 72hrs. i feel like shifts against us has happen quite often recently lol.....one of these times it will work for us.

FWIW, the Euro ENS mean from 12z was not as robust as the OP for most areas and that's factoring in some NW amped outliers. In fact, at least a quarter of the 12z members were much like the 00z suite so far with a further east solution. Laugh at the NAM, but when it's weak/southeast for a coastal low near the end of its cycle, that does not excite me in terms of the potential for a big hit.

I'd lean heavily upon a low impact event inland. Southeast of I-95 could make out okay, but we'll see if the 00z shift turns into more of a trend.

Lets grab a raft, some candles, and a weegie board, and hold a seeance at the benchmark to ressurect this heavy, heavy data-sparse spirit.

Could be feedback too or surface track flux due to seasonal variations.

One thing we haven't learned this winter is outside of 72 hours is a jungle.

This still has time but those were some ugly shifts at 0z.

The other regions threads seem to have a handle on it or are in total chaos I'm not sure. And where are all the new people coming from?

Objective reasons for hope, at least based in model output, are thinning at 0z.

But I will say this: models looked increasingly promising thru 12z today, and then took a step back at 18z/0z (haven't seen Euro yet...). But I do believe the nuances discussed before will not be ironed out until at least 12z-0z tomorrow. Unlike previous systems that missed because of obviously dominant suppression, this seems to be a matter of timing of phasing of multiple pieces of energy.

The critical pieces of energy are still in the Arctic Circle. Writing this off is premature this far out. We've seen just today that subtle changes in the interactions / timing off the Carolinas have a huge impact on the track. And we've seen countless times a storm track shift 100 miles just in the last 24 hours. Plenty of time.

Objective reasons for hope, at least based in model output, are thinning at 0z.

But I will say this: models looked increasingly promising thru 12z today, and then took a step back at 18z/0z (haven't seen Euro yet...). But I do believe the nuances discussed before will not be ironed out until at least 12z-0z tomorrow. Unlike previous systems that missed because of obviously dominant suppression, this seems to be a matter of timing of phasing of multiple pieces of energy.

The critical pieces of energy are still in the Arctic Circle. Writing this off is premature this far out. We've seen just today that subtle changes in the interactions / timing off the Carolinas have a huge impact on the track. And we've seen countless times a storm track shift 100 miles just in the last 24 hours. Plenty of time.

It's following the predominant seasonal trend. When we have cold and decent high position we have a progressive pattern that either only allows for enough amplification to affect se areas, or it misses. This one was being given more room by some models as they dumped the mid level feature near Hudson's bay further southwest so it could interact with the system zooming across the TN valley. Models have repeatedly had some variation of that general layout in every major fictitious miss 96+ which is why there's largely been no point bothering until we crossed this threshold tonight. We have seen systems tail north of us in time favoring nNe in this pattern, and systems tail further away and favor those to our south in this pattern.

No different this time, but let's see where this ends up Sunday.

It's following the predominant seasonal trend. When we have cold and decent high position we have a progressive pattern that either only allows for enough amplification to affect se areas, or it misses. This one was being given more room by some models as they dumped the mid level feature near Hudson's bay further southwest so it could interact with the system zooming across the TN valley. Models have repeatedly had some variation of that general layout in every major fictitious miss 96+ which is why there's largely been no point bothering until we crossed this threshold tonight. We have seen systems tail north of us in time favoring nNe in this pattern, and systems tail further away and favor those to our south in this pattern.

No different this time, but let's see where this ends up Sunday.

True though hard to say how generalizable seasonal tendencies are. The trough here seems sharper and goes negative, just a little late. The shortwave energy we're dealing with is stronger. The ensuing SLP is obviously deeper than any this season.

Poring over the 4 GFS runs today, tonight's 0z run actually is not so bad with the large scale features. The low over the Hudson Bay is not so different in placement. Ridging out west is better than 18z. If anything, the energy rounding the trough base is a little weaker at 0z, and maybe that's why cyclogenesis happens a little later and less intensely.

Maybe I'm just reaching. 

On the other hand, that 12z Euro ensemble median gives me pause in reaching for the nails to this coffin.

Archived