amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Saint Patrick's Day Snow Event II

stormtracker

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Waiting for you to be told any snow is good snow.

Sent from my iPhone

I dunno at this point. I should have stayed full bear probably. I caved to pressure a little late yesterday.  Wasn't the Euro a little south with 3/3 at this range?

I dunno at this point. I should have stayed full bear probably. I caved to pressure a little late yesterday.  Wasn't the Euro a little south with 3/3 at this range?

Yes it was. I remember several models trended south and had SBY in the bullseye but the typical NW areas saw the most.

Yes it was. I remember several models trended south and had SBY in the bullseye but the typical NW areas saw the most.

Euro was .8" snow on the 3/2 12Z run and dropped to .6" on the 3/3 0Z run

thing is, on 3/3, the models caved on qpf <24 hours before the start, but this storm they went south 36+ hrs, now the NAM and Euro are increasing again comparing last 2 runs of each, so who knows, but I doubt anyone sees >6" in the DCA/BWI metro unless things jump way north last minute (the way they do only when they screw us for snow, that is!)

I'm not there so not sure but just thought I would add to the forum. There will be tweaks tonight I'm sure.

Can LWX hold off issuing anything till like after the 18z NAM/GFS?  Or even the early 00z runs tonight?  Or do they have to issue now if a WSWatch were to be issued?

EDIT:  They went ahead and issued it

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-WASHINGTON-FREDERICK MD-CARROLL-
NORTHERN BALTIMORE-HARFORD-MONTGOMERY-HOWARD-SOUTHERN BALTIMORE-
PRINCE GEORGES-ANNE ARUNDEL-CHARLES-ST. MARYS-CALVERT-
EXTREME WESTERN ALLEGANY-CENTRAL AND EASTERN ALLEGANY-SHENANDOAH-
FREDERICK VA-PAGE-WARREN-CLARKE-MADISON-RAPPAHANNOCK-LOUDOUN-
ORANGE-CULPEPER-PRINCE WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK-FAIRFAX-
ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-STAFFORD-SPOTSYLVANIA-
KING GEORGE-NORTHERN FAUQUIER-SOUTHERN FAUQUIER-HAMPSHIRE-MORGAN-
BERKELEY-JEFFERSON-HARDY-WESTERN GRANT-EASTERN GRANT-
WESTERN MINERAL-EASTERN MINERAL-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WASHINGTON...HAGERSTOWN...FREDERICK...
WESTMINSTER...GAITHERSBURG...COLUMBIA...BALTIMORE...ANNAPOLIS...
WALDORF...ST MARYS CITY...FROSTBURG...CUMBERLAND...WINCHESTER...
FRONT ROYAL...LEESBURG...CULPEPER...MANASSAS...MANASSAS PARK...
FAIRFAX...ALEXANDRIA...FALLS CHURCH...FREDERICKSBURG...
WARRENTON...MARTINSBURG...CHARLES TOWN...MOOREFIELD...BAYARD...
MOUNT STORM...PETERSBURG...ELK GARDEN...KEYSER...FORT ASHBY
243 PM EDT SAT MAR 15 2014

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
MONDAY AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS
ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY
AFTERNOON THROUGH MONDAY AFTERNOON.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...SNOW

* ACCUMULATIONS...POTENTIAL FOR 5 OR MORE INCHES...THE HIGHEST
  TOTALS ARE ANTICIPATED TO BE IN SOUTHERN SECTIONS OF THE AREA.

* TIMING...LATE SUNDAY AFTERNOON INTO MONDAY AFTERNOON. THE
  HEAVIEST SNOW IS EXPECTED SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH EARLY MONDAY
  MORNING.

* TEMPERATURES...LOWER TO MIDDLE 40S SUNDAY AFTERNOON...DROPPING
  INTO THE LOWER TO MIDDLE 20S ACROSS MOST LOCATIONS SUNDAY NIGHT.
  HIGHS MONDAY WILL BE IN THE LOWER 30S.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST AROUND 10 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 MPH.

Well it is what the GFS/GGEM/UKIE have if taken literally.  I know we shouldn't, but just saying

GFS drops like 0.5" by 6z.....GFS MOS is 39 at 0z....34 at 3z.....31 at 6z...even if it were true, how much of that precip would be accumulating snow?....Please don't take the GFS too seriously

Straight to WARNING in SW part of CWA... wow

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC243 PM EDT SAT MAR 15 2014VAZ025-026-036>038-503-504-WVZ505-506-160245-/O.NEW.KLWX.WS.W.0009.140316T1800Z-140317T1800Z/AUGUSTA-ROCKINGHAM-NELSON-ALBEMARLE-GREENE-WESTERN HIGHLAND-EASTERN HIGHLAND-WESTERN PENDLETON-EASTERN PENDLETON-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...STAUNTON...WAYNESBORO...HARRISONBURG...CHARLOTTESVILLE...HIGHTOWN...MONTEREY...CIRCLEVILLE...FRANKLIN243 PM EDT SAT MAR 15 2014...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM SUNDAY TO 2 PM EDTMONDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HASISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 2PM SUNDAY TO 2 PM EDT MONDAY.* PRECIPITATION TYPE...SNOW* ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 12 INCHES WITH THE HIGHEST ACROSS THE  MOUNTAINS ABOVE 2000 FEET.* TIMING...PRECIPITATION MAY START OFF AS RAIN OR RAIN AND SNOW  MIXED ACROSS THE VALLEYS SUNDAY AFTERNOON. ANY MIXED  PRECIPITATION WILL CHANGE TO ALL SNOW AFTER SUNSET WITH THE  HEAVIEST SNOW FALLING LATE SUNDAY EVENING INTO EARLY MONDAY  MORNING.* TEMPERATURES...LOWER TO MIDDLE 40S EARLY SUNDAY  AFTERNOON...DROPPING INTO THE LOWER TO MIDDLE 20S SUNDAY NIGHT.  HIGHS MONDAY WILL BE IN THE LOWER 30S.

GFS has us below freezing and ripping by 6-7pm...meanwhile it will be 44 and cloudy....anyone remember 1/21?...when the GFS tried to front thump destroy us in the 1st 3-4 hours in the "warm sector"?, while every other model threw the best precip into cold air.....

I do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mount Holly just pulled the trigger on watches for upper Delmarva and SNJ. My point click has 4-8 inches. 4" MAY be doable. CWG has 1-4 through much of the area with less than an inch N of Baltimore and 2-6 SW of DC. Conservative as usual but probably closer to reality.

Archived