mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Saint Patrick's Day Snow Event II

stormtracker

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The precip distribution on the northern edge makes a lot more sense to me than 12z. Totals are prob jacked but the swath looks more logical. 

Exactly. And it happens with every storm. The models supress the precip shield too much. And we all know what ends up verifying. I think a 3-6+ storm for the area is pretty much a lock at this point.

Exactly. And it happens with every storm. The models supress the precip shield too much. And we all know what ends up verifying. I think a 3-6+ storm for the area is pretty much a lock at this point.

There was a lot pointing to way less snow than originally thought with the early March storm and it was pretty much ignored. I think you have to give weight to sharp cutoffs. You also have to consider that Bob and others have said this storm is different from that storm. I wouldn't know because I didn't really follow either. Also I think the trend is better for this one. The earlier storm just kept getting drier and this one seems to be coming back a little, at least on the American end.

Looks just like euro member #31 from last night. It has support!!!!

I didn't see the Euro member, but looks to me that the "second storm" on the NAM is some snow at the beginning changing to pretty heavy rain?

ETA:  Reminding myself..."don't parse the NAM beyond 48 hours...don't parse the NAM beyond 48 hours...!!"

The prime difference with the 18z nam and the globals is the 850 low is more organized with better circulation. The n-nw side of the shield is simply more juiced with a banded structure. 

Euro is kinda weak and strung out in comparison. GFS is more of a middle ground between them. The nam is "supposed" to be a better model at picking up on things like this at short leads because of its resolution. We'll see how things go tonight and tomorrow. I'm not willing to discount the nam just because it's an outlier. Even though the totals seem quite unlikely, the better expanse and banded nature of the precip is believable. 

I kinda feel the same way zwyts does. The possibility of a better organized system has just presented itself. But until it has support, favoring it is a big mistake. 

Archived