amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Saint Patrick's Day Snow Event II

stormtracker

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Compare 12 to 18z. Right or wrong @ 18z, the structure of the precip shield to the n-nw of the 850lp improved greatly. Definitely implies more of a comma structure. Low is more consolidated  and good banding on the n side. It's a good sign at this lead. 

Yes, a pretty big shift that's for sure.  Hope it's on to something correct and not the 18Z NAM being, well, the 18Z NAM!!  (I know, that's not a fair statement about the 18Z cycle, just threw that in for a laugh).

Compare 12 to 18z. Right or wrong @ 18z, the structure of the precip shield to the n-nw of the 850lp improved greatly. Definitely implies more of a comma structure. Low is more consolidated and good banding on the n side. It's a good sign at this lead.

As you said, is it right? The Euro solution is still worrisome.

Step in the right direction. Pretty much think that is the solution give or take 25-50miles. Also amounts probably not as high.

1654123_10152380763572009_1905799084_n.j

Agree. Probably better to just use the NAM for its system setup rather than use its qpf numbers. Still, this north trend is encouraging especially when you consider that we lost the NAM around here on 3/3.

My latest thoughts for DC

I'm dubious of what can stick here in DC before around 3-4z....and after 15z....here is latest approx QPF in the 3z to 15z period

12z Euro: 0.3"
12z Canadian: 0.4"

12z GFS: 0.35"

18z NAM: 0.75"

Until the NAM has more support, for now I'd probably toss it and lean toward 0.4".....will use 8:1 ratios to balance the fact that it may be a lower ratio event even when snowing and 32 or under, account for antecedent conditions and climo, the fact that we may not get much accumulation toward the beginning and end of that window, AND to account for the possibility of some minor accumulation before and after the window (particularly after when we "could finish with a heavy burst a la 3/3).  I think 2-4" is the right forecast at this time for DC proper.

Archived