Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Saint Patrick's Day Snow Event

stormtracker

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NWS gives us more than a 10% chance for 8" or more. The fact that there is a statistically significant chance for more than winter storm warning criteria indicates to me a winter storm watch should be issued.

A watch is posted for a 50% confidence of 5 or more inches, 6 or more west toward the allegheny front

There is enough uncertainty imo to hold off on a watch till the afternoon update. On the other hand, nothing wrong with putting a watch up now for the highest probability area, and deciding later whether to upgrade to a warning or go to an advisory if current trends hold.

he's pure weenie and always goes with the snowiest forecast.....toss it

if he's right, it's luck

I was not counting on his actual QPF thoughts, just liked some of his points. Like JB, JB2, DT, etc., all should be taken with a grain of salt. Now lets hope for a slight N shift today that makes everyone in the DMV happy. :)

Just saw JB2 update. Interesting. I'm sure you know how to find it on FB. ;)

There is enough uncertainty imo to hold off on a watch till the afternoon update. On the other hand, nothing wrong with putting a watch up now for the highest probability area, and deciding later whether to upgrade to a warning or go to an advisory if current trends

12z guidance will be telling

I already can't remember, did they issue the winter storm warning for 8-12 sunday morning?  When did the watch go up?

The watch went up in the overnight package coming into Saturday morning though I remember there was question why they waited that long at that point given their high odds of reaching criteria on those somewhat silly public maps.

In this case WPC had 70%+ odds of 4"+ across the area yesterday and LWX was more or less in the same camp.  They must be wizards given how the models were/are still bouncing around... but clearly there's tons of uncertainty etc.. like we usually see 70%+ for 4+ of snow so far out to begin with. 

The watch went up in the overnight package coming into Saturday morning though I remember there was question why they waited that long at that point given their high odds of reaching criteria on those somewhat silly public maps.

In this case WPC had 70%+ odds of 4"+ across the area yesterday and LWX was more or less in the same camp. They must be wizards given how the models were/are still bouncing around... but clearly there's tons of uncertainty etc.. like we usually see 70%+ for 4+ of snow so far out to begin with.

Strength of that High will once again determine the cutoff line of precip. I could see areas north of the mason Dixon line getting completely ripped off again. The southward shift will stop at some point.

GFS is turning out to be steadier(and more realistic) in recent model cycles.

The GFS seems to have settled more than the other models, and has been showing DC getting ~15-20 mm qpf as snow every model run for the last couple of days.  There have been some minor fluctuations, but not the big north-south shifts we've been seeing in the other models.

But I still think there's a good chance that this goes south.  There are reasons to discount the NAM, Euro, RPM, and now RGEM.  But taken together, that's a pretty strong signal.

Strength of that High will once again determine the cutoff line of precip. I could see areas north of the mason Dixon line getting completely ripped off again. The southward shift will stop at some point.

I never got the bullishness from everyone.. including CWG tho I was pretty much forced along into that given I had the forecast today.  There is no major forcing with the system and it's super late. Not sure the need to go with such high odds of reaching 4"+ etc from 3 days or more out.  There's not a lot to be gained by that.  Forecasters in this area are usually more reserved too... which makes it even more peculiar.. not like models have been locked in or anything either.

The GFS seems to have settled more than the other models, and has been showing DC getting ~15-20 mm qpf as snow every model run for the last couple of days.  There have been some minor fluctuations, but not the big north-south shifts we've been seeing in the other models.

But I still think there's a good chance that this goes south.  There are reasons to discount the NAM, Euro, RPM, and now RGEM.  But taken together, that's a pretty strong signal.

add the JMA fwiw, it's only got around .35" total qpf thru 0Z Tuesday

I never got the bullishness from everyone.. including CWG tho I was pretty much forced along into that given I had the forecast today.  There is no major forcing with the system and it's super late. Not sure the need to go with such high odds of reaching 4"+ etc from 3 days or more out.  There's not a lot to be gained by that.  Forecasters in this area are usually more reserved too... which makes it even more peculiar.. not like models have been locked in or anything either.

there's always the usual 48-72 forecast problems everyone knows, but I thought you weren't bullish particularly because of temp climo, citing mos, etc.

if this fails, it will be for the exact opposite reason(s) than climo, namely, because the cold air overwhelms

there's always the usual 48-72 forecast problems everyone knows, but I thought you weren't bullish particularly because of temp climo, citing mos, etc.

if this fails, it will be for the exact opposite reason(s) than climo, namely, because the cold air overwhelms

I was talking temps like 2-3 days ago when they looked milder in DC. I was gone pretty much all day yesterday because the conversation was annoying me here. From 5+ days out climo is usually the best guide.. and it's still a good guide for a cap even if it ends up totally failing.  Not to mention our overall climo doesn't generally support 70+ odds of a 4+ widespread event here from three days.  I was particularly confused by WPCs numbers yesterday.. they are usually fairly reserved and are obviously among the best in the business.  They might be right.. it was just odd as far as I was concerned.

And the high-res NAM, which looks like the RPM.  The higher-resolution models seem to think this is going south.

drift south is very apparent....now can it stop and last minute jog north?

if memory serves, the last event jogged south w/in 24 hrs, or at least closer in than this one, but whether or not that's correct, there's still time for the last hope/prayer of a jog back north

what a fookin' mess this has become    lol

drift south is very apparent....now can it stop and last minute jog north?

if memory serves, the last event jogged south w/in 24 hrs, or at least closer in than this one, but whether or not that's correct, there's still time for the last hope/prayer of a jog back north

what a fookin' mess this has become    lol

I just looked back and the GFS 3/3 0Z run had 12"+ snow maps around DCA, so yeah, the 3/3 event folded in the last 24 hrs. (or less), so who knows at this point with this storm

If this ended up exactly like 3/3, I'd be very happy. That was a nice storm, even for the northern areas. Hopefully, the southward trend stops, and a slight shift north is shown.

The precip cutoff on the northern edge of the 3/3 storm was overdone on the short-range guidance. So I would imagine that the crazy gradient shown by the 06z NAM was a bit overdone.

Glad you thought so, 3/3 with its initial 8-12 watch then 4-8 warning was pretty damn disappointing to me. It sucked for Baltimore area yielding three inches.

Sent from my iPhone

It had less to do with south movement and more with ratios, which were horrible....liquid basically verified here...and probably there too....MNtransplant took a core sample and had 8:1 ratios...

Archived