Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Saint Patrick's Day Snow Event

stormtracker

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS is ok.. and not really that different than the Euro. The NAM is terrible with winter storms and should never be trusted.

Mostly true but don't forget about trends. Look, two weeks ago it knew before the other models that dry air was pushing further south. I wouldn't use it to forecast verbatim but the fact that is still shows a good storm is notable. IMO.

when we get that NINO next year, you'll change ur tune on the NAM

NINO's are its wheelhouse     :arrowhead:

I like the NAM for what it's made for. I don't think it was made to model a winter storm outside of 48 hours etc. Or even close in per se.  The GFS has had problems with the western precip envelope all winter pretty much. If you factor that in on this run it looks a lot like the Euro outside some details.. again not necessarily focusing on precip totals in the area but evolution.  Ride the Euro.. and add in NAM qpf if you're a weenie I guess.

I think you have to give the GGEM/RGEM a fair amount of respect at this point....yes...the GGEM Is not really a mid-long range model, but it has done well this winter..especially with 2/13 and it owned 3/3 at the end....curious to see it shortly

I dunno it had some pretty foolish solutions the past few days. I've yet to see how it's so super amazing now but I guess I don't watch models as much as some people.

nice.  Off to bed..i can sleep through the euro disappointment...gotta head in to work tomm.   All in all, a pretty good day of runs..we're getting close in...we're looking solid for a few inches of late season snow.

Archived