SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 12-13 Winter Storm Observations Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before this, I was still able to maintain 75% or more of existing snowpack (wooded areas and south and west facing steep slopes not so much).  The rain did not wipe out as much as I thought it would.

Temp was 46F when I went to bed, and is now 14F.  Crazy Sh*t.  All of the existing snow has frozen into almost literally into glaciers.  One area where I snow blow off of the driveway is over 12" of almost solid ice-like snow.

Crazy stuff.

Yes I have the same, crazy March

Total of 12.5" as of 7 AM, with 1.55" LE plus 0.10" (estimated) RA yesterday morning. About 7" fell 4-9P yesterday, mainly at 30-31 until the wind and cold arrived about 8 and the temp dropped to 22 in an hour or so. Temp was 11 at 8 AM with wind gusts in the mid 30s. Probably another 3/4" had fallen from 7A to when I headed for AUG at 8:55 - State offices here opened at 10, very convenient. Only 3-4" at best in AUG.

Sometime overnigt (I'd guess 8-9P when the wind was screeching) a 10" diameter red maple broke and fell partly across our road - plow driver must have cut the topmost branches out of the way. 90 minutes with the snowblower this morning, but I'm glad I didn't try last evening - easier in daylight and the snow, though still heavy, had dried out in the colder air.

At least we got some of the forecast right.

The gradient you discussed yesterday afternoon was pretty much on target, though Eustis with only 10" reported at 5 this morning seemed modest.

PNS says 4.5", but we had that before the changeover to rain, and I'm pretty sure we got that again after the change back to snow.

We definitely got at least 7-8" total (some melted). I will measure in a bit.

Let us know, because a lot of our southern edge zones will be close to verifying versus not.

i was working in turners the day before yesterday and i wasnt impressed with the snowcover, id have to say we had just as much down here, so youre further west? do you think theres a diff between tf and even just west of rt2?

TF is right on the river so it's warm but generally speaking a few miles W of the river is better.

My neighborhood is probably the coldest spot in the PV lol so not a good point of reference.

I'll be one of the last SNE posters with snow.

Let us know, because a lot of our southern edge zones will be close to verifying versus not.

To be honest I have no idea. I measured about 2.5" on areas that we're clear after the hours of rainfall. I know the 4.5" is wrong because we had that at 4pm before the switch to rain. But I could see anywhere from 6.5-8" for storm total...but there's only about 5-6" of it left.

To be honest I have no idea. I measured about 2.5" on areas that we're clear after the hours of rainfall. I know the 4.5" is wrong because we had that at 4pm before the switch to rain. But I could see anywhere from 6.5-8" for storm total...but there's only about 5-6" of it left.

We're going to try for a map later today, so we'll need all the reports we can get to fill it in. I'll put you in there for estimated 7", thanks!

Archived