joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 12-13 Winter Storm Observations Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a -23°F departure on 3/4.  High was 19 on the 3rd and the low was -4 on the morning of the 4th for a mean of 7.5.  My "normal" mean is 30.7° for the 4th.  I can't speak for the SD but by average diurnal range for March is 20.7°.

Ok, that makes sense to what I was guessing. The average diurnal range at ORH in March is 16.5F...so definitely more range there.

Topping out at 13F up here today.  So much ice and frozen slush from yesterday under the 3" of powder from this AM.

Jerry, you have been around for awhile.  remember the cold day of April 7 1982?  After a 14" boston blizzard on the 6th the temperature feel to a record low of 19F on the 7th and a record low high of 22F at Logan for that date.  Very impressive late season cold after that storm also.

Suns peeking out near melnea cass and mass ave here

Haven't driven that road since my days working in Boston and doing projects in Roxbury.

Sun trying to break through and only lasts for a short while.  I doubt I will make it to night time without some significant sun, but none the less, what should have been a pounding rainstorm for us, was not the case.  Rain was never that heavy, and ending in some snow was not too bad of a deal.

Haven't driven that road since my days working in Boston and doing projects in Roxbury.

Sun trying to break through and only lasts for a short while.  I doubt I will make it to night time without some significant sun, but none the less, what should have been a pounding rainstorm for us, was not the case.  Rain was never that heavy, and ending in some snow was not too bad of a deal.

One of the first positive posts from you all winter..Impressive. Must be a good day

Sun trying to break through and only lasts for a short while. I doubt I will make it to night time without some significant sun, but none the less, what should have been a pounding rainstorm for us, was not the case. Rain was never that heavy, and ending in some snow was not too bad of a deal.

Not the best area... which is why my volunteer hours at greater boston food bank is near that intersection. (Required hours for social ethics class)

Man it's mid winter cold right now. Sill flurries and a biting windchill.

Yeah this is darn impressive. -7F with 40mph winds on the upper mountain, nice -40F wind chill in mid-day in mid-March.

+8F now at the house, so single digit day in mid-March.

MVL ASOS here has not reported a visibility greater than 4 miles in 32 hours (7am yesterday). At 3pm we are up to 2.5sm -SN.

27" OTG...by far deepest of the season.

Topping out at 13F up here today. So much ice and frozen slush from yesterday under the 3" of powder from this AM.

Jerry, you have been around for awhile. remember the cold day of April 7 1982? After a 14" boston blizzard on the 6th the temperature feel to a record low of 19F on the 7th and a record low high of 22F at Logan for that date. Very impressive late season cold after that storm also.

Lol...I remember being taunted by a weenie buddy as I was walking amidst the palm trees in LA. I was here for 97 though.

Not the best area... which is why my volunteer hours at greater boston food bank is near that intersection. (Required hours for social ethics class)

It's a good thing to see stuff up close. And while that intersection isn't a place u stroll to...you've been to Baltimore!

What a frigid day with some snow coming in now.

Storm summary maps through 7am this morning.

Overall, the models did pretty well with a widespread 1-2" QPF event...I'm pleased with the 1.54" we got.  Satisfies my synoptic big QPF queen fetish.

Snow depths are getting up here...highest of the season for most of these spots. 

Thanks guys, that was the storm we were waiting for all season. 

Ginxy, I'll get some drift pics in the next day or so... I saw some good ones around town.

But for now, here's some shots driving around by the fields on the way to the mountain this morning...severe blowing and drifting in the backside champagne pow.  Some of these fields were nearly blown clean...I bet the neighboring woods have quite the drifts.

IMG_1477_edited-1.jpg

IMG_1478_edited-1.jpg

Archived