Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - March 2014 Pt. I

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL guys its either going to be a massive hit or a storm for NC by tmrw anyway.Models have been too horrendous for excitement.

No they haven't. They've successfully indicated that somebody in the region is getting a storm. That's all we can reasonably expect 3+ days away.

I said yesterday I expected either a full phase or a very suppressed system and guidance trended towards a more phased amped system. I still think the globals aren't fully there yet. The nam might be on to something here. 6z rgem looks amped up too. I just hope it's not a case of be careful what you wish for as the nam introduces mixing all the way into my area. It may be a little overdone but I do think rain is a bigger risk then suppression, especially for the southern third.

I said yesterday I expected either a full phase or a very suppressed system and guidance trended towards a more phased amped system. I still think the globals aren't fully there yet. The nam might be on to something here. 6z rgem looks amped up too. I just hope it's not a case of be careful what you wish for as the nam introduces mixing all the way into my area. It may be a little overdone but I do think rain is a bigger risk then suppression, especially for the southern third.

This is what I am thinking as well... I want to see what temperatures are on Sunday before the cloud cover moves in.  This time of year we don't see temperatures fall as easily with cloud cover moving in after some daytime heating.  If we get sunshine early on Sunday before the clouds roll in and temps climb into 30s/40s we may stay close to those numbers heading into overnight hours and then p-type issues come into play.  At this range, the models often assume temperatures will fall no matter what during overnight hours and are not always right.  NAM does this often with cloud cover moving in and ends up busting low.  Now there doesn't appear to be the level of warm air advection as we are seeing this morning, but even 0z NAM had last night's temperatures fall enough despite the increasing clouds and southerly flow developing that 12z temps are between 5-10 degrees off (warmer than modeled) for several locations in central and eastern PA.  Also, in mid March you have to be careful looking at 850mb temps and trying to predict surface temperatures.  We can see 850mb temps in the -4 to -8 C range and have surface temperatures in the upper 30s to low 40s.  On the other hand, new snow cover to our north may help to pull a little bit colder air south to help produce a late season snowstorm, but I do think as of this morning that temperatures will be closer to borderline than models currently are indicating and will be critical to keep an eye on.  Unlike what we were discussing last week for this week, I don't see anything yet that would make this event look unlikely, but does not look like a lock by any means either.

Great write up djr! Also, we need a nice rate and amped solution, light to mod precip. has trouble getting it done this time of the year.

If you have 850 mb temperatures below zero (and no warm layer aloft), solid cloud cover and decent CAD, you can get light snowfall to accumulate. There's really no reason why it wouldn't; the atmosphere would be very stable (therefore difficult to mix) and there would be limited solar radiation. Of course, even in January, light snowfall will not accumulate as quickly or efficiently as moderate or heavy snowfall.

I said yesterday I expected either a full phase or a very suppressed system and guidance trended towards a more phased amped system. I still think the globals aren't fully there yet. The nam

might be on to something here. 6z rgem looks amped up too. I just hope it's not a case of be careful what you wish for as the nam introduces mixing all the way into my area. It may be a little

overdone but I do think rain is a bigger risk then suppression, especially for the southern third.

This can't possibly be right, I was told yesterday that this was a southen PA special.

At any rate, much uncertainty remains, and I have my bar set at zero and will hope to get lucky. I completely agree with you about this not being suppressed by the way.

When was the last time we had a significant mid-March snowstorm in the LSV? The last one I remember was 2007.

March 16th, got 10" in about 5 hours. Heavy snow from 8am to noon.

i really enjoyed the snowfall that day.It was a Friday,  It flat out dumped. I recorded 9.5".. if i remember, Saturday warmed up and a lot of that snow melted.

This can't possibly be right, I was told yesterday that this was a southen PA special.

At any rate, much uncertainty remains, and I have my bar set at zero and will hope to get lucky. I completely agree with you about this not being suppressed by the way.

I doubt any expert said it was a southern pa special.

Archived