• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
3/6 - 3/7 Event is it this seasons last gasp?

WXinCanton

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really not sure why RAH isn't putting at least a few counties under a watch. Latest nws forecast for mby has us down to 28 tomorrow night. If everything stays as is tonight, I suspect we'll see them by the late night news.

TW

It's getting close based on their forecast for my area.

.THURSDAY NIGHT...A CHANCE OF RAIN AND SLEET IN THE EVENING...

THEN FREEZING RAIN...SLEET WITH A CHANCE OF SNOW AFTER MIDNIGHT.

SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATION AROUND AN INCH. ICE ACCUMULATION OF A

TENTH TO ONE QUARTER OF AN INCH. COLD WITH LOWS IN THE UPPER 20S.

NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION NEAR

100 PERCENT.

.FRIDAY...WIDESPREAD SNOW WITH POSSIBLE FREEZING RAIN...SLEET AND

RAIN IN THE MORNING...THEN RAIN LIKELY WITH POCKETS OF SNOW AND

DRIZZLE IN THE AFTERNOON. LITTLE OR NO ADDITIONAL SNOW

ACCUMULATION. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 30S. NORTHEAST WINDS AROUND

10 MPH. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION NEAR 100 PERCENT.

It going to trend colder as I said earlier the models now have something to key in on with the ULL. Also most not all are showing a pretty good chance this is snow if you look@ the contours and Hp placement. I think most of the mountains and Northern Foothills get more snow than Ice. The NW piedmont could end up the winner just by looking  @ where the Def. zone is set-up as well just marginal temps. Big ole flakes fly with this setup who ever gets snow. 

Oh, wow, that's big.  I didn't expect that.  Much colder than prior runs and the RGEM often runs a little warm.

The Triad is right on the dividing line, per par, hahaha.  Looks like we got some snow and a lot of freezing rain (more snow in Winston-Salem and more snow for me than Greensboro-proper).

run looks colder at 2m

OMG, my provider's 18Z GFS clown gives the ATL area a boatload of snow (4-8") from the upper low on Thursday afternoon!!!! Keep in mind that GFS clown maps are NOT overdone like the Euro.

Oh, wow, that's big.  I didn't expect that.  Much colder than prior runs and the RGEM often runs a little warm.

The Triad is right on the dividing line, per par, hahaha.  Looks like we got some snow and a lot of freezing rain (more snow in Winston-Salem and more snow for me than Greensboro-proper).

looks that way for the Triad ... unusual to read in the RAH AFD them breaking down the Triad the way did mentioning Lexington to Greensboro to Roxboro then mentioning Winston-Salem to PTI Airport north and west ... James this may be one of those time you wish you were 10 miles north again :)

OMG, my provider's 18Z GFS clown gives the ATL area a boatload of snow (4-8") from the upper low on Thursday afternoon!!!! Keep in mind that GFS clown maps are NOT overdone like the Euro.

Instantweather is very conservative with it's snow maps too, wow...

post-2311-0-53791600-1394056190_thumb.pn

For us RDU folks, the RGEM is literally 33F with 850's below 1C for a good 10-12 hour period, LOL.  The coldest rain there could be.  But that was the coldest RGEM run yet, so unless it backs it up at 0z tonight I wouldn't trust it just yet, although the 18z GFS does match up with it fairly well.  But I hate the 18z GFS runs, seems like they are always wrong.

PN_D5_TT_TT_P1_NT_UV_UU_VV_METE_12000_Ra

For us RDU folks, the RGEM is literally 33F with 850's below 1C for a good 10-12 hour period, LOL.  The coldest rain there could be.  But that was the coldest RGEM run yet, so unless it backs it up at 0z tonight I wouldn't trust it just yet, although the 18z GFS does match up with it fairly well.  But I hate the 18z GFS runs, seems like they are always wrong.

PN_D5_TT_TT_P1_NT_UV_UU_VV_METE_12000_Ra

Well, if the RGEM is usually too warm and if the cold trends continue, we might be in the game afterall. I know...IF IF IF IF.

this storm system likely to have a myriad of p-type issues. Varying strengths of precipitation rates will dictate types at a given time. A lot of places may get graupel at times with 500mb temps drop below -20c across the SE with the ULL's passage. Not saying it's accumulating or will, but this one will be throwing tons of surprises.

.50-.75 all frozen here this run from 18Z GFS....is the trend our friend.  If 18Z RGEM and 18Z GFS are right (and for the most part 18Z NAM) then a major winter storm is 24 hours away for Western and central NC.

why is gsp not in the game yet on the possible major winter storm?

this storm system likely to have a myriad of p-type issues. Varying strengths of precipitation rates will dictate types at a given time. A lot of places may get graupel at times with 500mb temps drop below -20c across the SE with the ULL's passage. Not saying it's accumulating or will, but this one will be throwing tons of surprises.

I agree...this will "surpise" a few people

Archived